One week + 2 days update-Its getting better all the time

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

looloog

One week + 2 days update-Its getting better all the time

#1 Post by looloog »

Hi All,
This is my first time posting anything on this site. I am very happy I found this as it is good to know I am not alone as an adult with braces. My saga is a 20 year old one, but ill try to sum it up as best I can. Hope there is someone else out there with something simillar to mine. If so, please feel free to ask away! So here it goes: When I was 10 or 11, I feel off my bike and my my front tooth (#9) popped out. My tooth was saved, the root was 'fed' to make sure it 'survives' and it did...for a few years. Then it got infected and i needed a root canal. Around the time i was 18, the tooth began to discolor and I needed a veneer over it since it started going grey. That was fine for about another 10 years until I came to a new dentist (I moved from LA to Boston). He did the usual x-rays I explained my tooth story to him etc etc. What he saw was that the tooth was resorbing (bone loss where root canal was done) This often happens to traumatized teeth he tells me, and I am told the tooth needs complete extraction. So Oct of 2006 the tooth was extracted (that was so far the worst part). So the fun begins. Since I will need an implant to replace my missing tooth, I need braces first to open up the space in order to put the implant in straight and flush with my teeth. The front two teeth (well when I had two of them) were always crooked, and they overlapped each other. Yesterday (Jan 8 ) I got my braces put on (top only). I am also wearing a flipper, wich is a retainer with a tooth on it to fill in where my #9 isnt. there is a spring going across the space where the missing tooth is, in a horizontal way to push the front teeth over and make room. I dont love the way the spring looks, but I got the clear ceramic brackets to minimize the blow to my appearance!!! I was horrified at first when I saw my reflection in the mirror, but then I began laughing uncontrolably! I just turned 30 in November, but i feel more like I am 16. I dont have pain, just soreness, and the brackets really poke and rub my cheeks. I have been using alot of wax. Im eating soup, yogurt and pudding for now, but i am being told to be patient, that it will get better! So its day two at work, people are pretty suportive. My boss comes to me every now and then and says 'I came to see you smile' which makes me laugh even though I am trying not too! Also, my finace has really been a huge support to me. Toothless and now with braces, he is still loving and supportive !
So thats my story............. for now............ :D :wink:
Last edited by looloog on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Loolong

I enjoyed your story and your attitude to the braces. Laughing is the best medicine and helps with the discomfort and new challenge of getting used to your brace. In no time at all you won't even notice the brace.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

looloog

Thanks!!

#3 Post by looloog »

Thanks for all the support guys! This site really is helpfull :D

I did rinse with warm salt water today and it does feel good, thanks for the tips.

My sentance is somewhere between 6 to 9 months, but when it comes to dental work there is never gurantees!! I go for my next visit Feb 20 so lets see how I progress...

Ideally I would have needed an expander (I think thats what its called to expand the pallet) which would have been achieved surgically, but because of the numerous surgerys (extraction, implant, bone graft) I figured I had enough to do just to get my tooth back!
But, I am hopeful that this course of action will give me nice results as well.
Keep you posted!!
PS how did you guys get that treatment timeline?!?! That is a riot I like them!

Sumendoza

Welcome!!

#4 Post by Sumendoza »

Hello Looloog and welcome!!

I am pretty new here myself, but this site has helped me a lot!

I congratulate you on your decision to get braces; I am having mine put on tomorrow... good luck!!

looloog

One week and 2 days update

#5 Post by looloog »

Well, its been a week and 2 whole days since getting braced. I must say I have come a long way. Its wed today, and last thursday I was ready to pull these suckers out of my mouth....I was most uncomfortable because of the scraping and tearing inside my cheeks, I used a ton of wax, but today, i got up brushed and walked out the door without the need for any wax!
YAY...its getting better, thanks everyone for telling me to hang in there, because I think thw worst is over for now, well, until my first adjustment!

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

Glad you are feeling better. The brackets definitely take a few days to get used to. Nice to not have to worry about the wax, though. And hey, even if they teeth hurt after an adjustment, you still don't have to worry about wax.

I think we're on about the same schedule. I got my bottom archwire last Thursday, and I get my top archwire tomorrow (I've had my brackets for 2 weeks). I'm sentenced to 2.5 years.

empire11

#7 Post by empire11 »

Hi Loolog

Good to hear you've gots lots of support. Keep up the positive outlook. I used a lot of wax and was pretty sore the first little bit too but your mouth will get used to it. After a while, some days you'll even forget they're there!