My teeth would have been perfect... on a horse! 16-3-07

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

egocidal

My teeth would have been perfect... on a horse! 16-3-07

#1 Post by egocidal »

Hi! I'm 21 this year, and though I knew I should have braces since a decade ago, I didn't get them cos I was afraid of extractions. Hence, enduring the overbite and difficulty of covering them properly with my lips. In addition, my chin looked weak in comparison to the flared teeth. But now I'm on my way to a neat SMILE :D

Yeah, so I officially joined the braced bunch this morning, but two weeks prior to that, I had four first premolar extractions :GapToothed:, of which two developed into DRY SOCKETS. OW. Antibiotics and painkillers yadayada. Healed up fine. And before I knew it, brace-day has dawned :)

Friday 16th March, nine o'clock had me sitting bright and early in the waiting room after a(in this order) substantial breakfast, tooth brushing, before-pix! and liberal lip balm application.

O yea, initially, I asked my doc if he had GOLD braces, cos my teeth were woefully off-white, so that would blend nicely into the tooth color, but no, silver will have to do:( That actually threw me a little, since I had already picked out the ligature colors with GOLD wires in mind... So yeah, in case you were wondering what I'm thinking during the whole bracing, that's it :P

And it turns out that the sharp protrusion below my lower extraction IS bone, and not some buccal exostosis like I suspected. Must've been part of the root left there when he broke the tooth. He says it will go away on its own. Will it? It's been getting canker-like and driving me nuts every time it breaks the gum surface.
See the white spot below the socket? Ow :arrow: Image

How the braces was worn
  • - Sit in chair
    - Gargle
    - Teeth cleaning
    - Lots of cotton tubes stuck into mouth in place of expanders
    - Mouth vacuum left in
    - Acid dabbed on teeth
    - Glue and brackets applied amidst lots of 'bite/open/bite/open's
    - Choose ligatures!! *panic!* Blurted out a muffled 'Purpurh an' orane' with vigorous gesticulation because I wanted alternating colors but the same on the top and bottom teeth. Which my ortho eventually understood :oops:
    - Bottom archwire fitted on. Mmm weird pressure goodness.
    - One molar bracket falls off
    - Scrape off excess glue residue, glue bracket back on.
    - Other archwire ligatured on
    - Cotton tubes out
    - Gargleeee.....
    - Mirror!! :-*
First thoughts
  • - Now my lips won't even fit around the teeth!!
    - Omg the nasty rubber taste from the ligs :yuck:
    - OMG I GOT BRACES!
    - Man, I look weird.
    - I can't believe it took just half an hour! That guy is QUICK.
So yay! Collected my new spectacles at VC and... it's time for lunch. A small smoked salmon sandwich sounded good on the menu, until it's served up. It wouldn't have been so terrible if the bread was the nice soft kind as opposed to ROCK HARD and CRUSTY. At least it came with soup. So I spent the next hour separating the individual ingredients, then dissecting each into cubic inch bits, and drowning every morsel in soup before mushing it vaguely with my back molars... They're the only teeth I can use at the moment--front teeth hurts too much :(

Okay, that wasn't so bad, cos even though one could probably tell what I ate just by peering in between my metalworks, I managed to gargle the remaining bits off with sheer mouthpower and the help of Earl Grey tea.

And now, dun dun dunnnn. The befores!

Image Image
Image Image

And afters!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Now my front teeth begins to hurt in earnest... Augh :-((

Timeline

01-03-07 Four first premolar extractions :GapToothed:
07-03-07 Got medication for two dry sockets
16-03-07 Brace day!:mrgreen:(purple/orange ligs)

egocidal is my regular/braces blog is :heart:

Nawners

#2 Post by Nawners »

LOVE those colors!!
And those glasses are WAY cute.
Congratulations!! :)
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

mighty mo

#3 Post by mighty mo »

Welcome to the world of braces egocidal. Great pictures, and great attitude. I look forward to reading more... :D

BracesRacer

#4 Post by BracesRacer »

You and I almost have the exact same story, lol... I had extractions a few weeks ago (only no dry socket or anything like that) and my braces went on this morning at about 9am'ish. I am also having jaw surgery on the lower when I am done but other than that... we are pretty similar. I look forward to reading your progress and its good to know I have someone else thats going through this at nearly the exact same time, haha :)

dallison

#5 Post by dallison »

You have a BEAUTIFUL smile, egocidal!!!

I bet you won't be able to stop showing it off once you start to see a difference!!

egocidal

#6 Post by egocidal »

Thanks for the advice, encouragements and compliments you guys :D

Morning after report: Was woken up by a nagging ache in my central and lateral incisors. Took the edge off the sting by keeping a cooler of iced-water beside me, and sipping constantly. Since I'm not a huge fan of drinking (just water :P ), that's a hooray for my health.

Foodwise, I find it's the first bites that need to be white-knuckled through. After the initial chews, my teeth seemed resigned to the fact that I'll still be torturing them with work and therefore it's a good idea to dissassociate and go numb Lol.

New best friends:
- Ice water
- Bathroom
- Teeth cleaning eq
- Lip balm

Danielle

#7 Post by Danielle »

New best friends:
- Ice water
- Bathroom
- Teeth cleaning eq
- Lip balm
And if you get any cuts/scrapes you're gonna add wax to the top of that list!
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

samantha_lou

#8 Post by samantha_lou »

Looking good! Congratulations on getting the journey started! You have really nicely shaped and sized teeth, and I think you'll be rather impressed by them once you're done!

I look forward to reading your updates!

victor36

#9 Post by victor36 »

egocidal,
Your lig colors are awesome, and so are your glasses!!!

here's to a great treatment! :-88

welcome to ArchWired!!

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.