Blackcats Brace Log - first three weeks, updated with pics!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

#16 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi BC

Interesting story so far. :D I have an overjet but not much of an overbite. At the moment my ortho is trying to move my molars using screw implants but headgear may be a possible too, as they are not moving as quickly as he'd hoped. I'm impressed by you wearing it outdoors as I'm not sure I would be brave enough :shock:

Hope your wedding plans are going well. Is your fiance Greek? My mum lives in Turkey and she has regaled me with worrying stories of Turkish dentistry. I don't think her dentist smoked in the surgery though :lol:

Blackcat

#17 Post by Blackcat »

I don't think there's been much change in my bite but my teeth have moved so maybe that will do something. I keep clashing them together though.

If you do have to have headgear Lisa65 don't worry too much about it - you don't have to wear it out as long as you wear it as much as you can - at first I felt like something from a Marylin Manson video but to be honest now my mouth hurts more without it in. I concentrate on the fact it might lower my total time in braces - besides if you saw some-one with it on how would you react? I think most people think 'god, I wonder what that is?' or 'does it hurt?'rather than nasty thoughts. Having said that i didn't wear it today on the ferry!!!

My fiance is from England too. The dentists seem pretty good here, mostly trained in USA and I've had much better experiences than in the UK. In fact the last dentist i saw in the UK had a sign on the door saying that she hadn't yet passed her proficiency in English exam! So the language barrier is no worse here :D
Proud to be a METAL HEAD!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Blackcat

#18 Post by Blackcat »

hey Platinum have your teeth moved at all? How does the bite plate fit & feel? My ortho says I'll need one when I get my lowers. Do you have upper braces too?

Blackcat

#19 Post by Blackcat »

It's 9 hours since the adjustment and I'm now in lots of pain - all localised on my back molar. The wire is also sticking in my cheek where it's swollen. I'm not sure if the pain is from the adjustment or from trying to get the headgear back in. Anyway I've waxed it and taken some painkillers. I'm off to bed now, feeling a bit sorry for myself :? and a little happy that I had the magic 'PROGRESS' word. I shall try to stay focused on that!

platinum

#20 Post by platinum »

hey Platinum have your teeth moved at all? How does the bite plate fit & feel? My ortho says I'll need one when I get my lowers. Do you have upper braces too?

My teeth have "moved", they have tilted forwards. I do not have uppers yet. I will get them in three months. I have a retainer that works as a bite plate. It is kind of hybrid of retainer and bite plate. It really sucks. I can't speak clear, and i look stupid. Esoecially, since I have lower braces only onewould not really see that have braces, but this retainer metal wire goes over my front teeth.

I have the biteplane because otherwise I would knock my lower brackets.
You can always hope that your uppers have moved so much that you do not need a bite plane.[/quote]

Blackcat

#21 Post by Blackcat »

Whoops - spent too long without headgear in during a journey to the UK via ferry, bus and air which lasted quite a long day. daren't do the headgear thing that day for some reason (although I put it in during the flight) and it hurt having it back in. Didn't beep through checkin though!!! will try harder :cry:
My ma has bought me some weird mouthwash called dentyl that has disclosure stuff in it - gross!!! Leaves your mouth super clean though, I have the clove flavour which is pretty strange, I think mint would be preferable.

Blackcat

#22 Post by Blackcat »

Well tomorrow its my next adjustment and I've got quite a few questions to ask! I have wires poking into the back of my jaw - it's almost impossible to get wax there, and it makes me gag when I do. I also keep eating it by mistake! I have a wire sticking in my lip too which i guess is progess as my tooth has moved lots. I guess having to put up with the discomfort of wires sticking in me is the problem with having to travel so far to the ortho!

My mouth has been very sore over the last few weeks which has corresponded with me trying to widen the variety of food I've been able to manage. So back to sloppy food for a while for me, and no toast! I can see lots of difference in my teeth though and it's only been just over 2 months. On the other hand I'm really sick of the discomfort and constant jaw pain.

My headgear seems to have gotten smaller (?) and it's grinding inside the brackets. it's also stickig to the inside of mouth at night.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow when I've asked the q's.

Blackcat

#23 Post by Blackcat »

OMG :(

OUCH! I can only describe yesterday as one hour 10 minutes of agony. Today I am in a world of hurt! After removing my wire and knocking off one of the headgear brackets to change it (I thought I might faint) my ortho put a titanium wire on - great I thought, no looping bits or springs. When he had finished I felt like someone was crushing my top jaw in a vice. When I pointed out it was painful and not 'just tight' he said I probably wasn't ready for it and took it out. Therefore I had to have another wire fitted which meant taking it in and out several times to adjust it plus I have the loopy bits back and a transparent thing to accelerate the movement of one particular tooth. Needless to say I have quite a small mouth so it was difficult to do this. Anyway today even my eyes are swollen!!!! and it all seems to hae triggered my CFS. It takes me 3 hours on a ferry to the mainland to get there and then I have to wait for the evening ferry back - so boring and tiring and doesn't help me feel better.

BUT I ALSO HAD EXCELLENT NEWS... ortho very pleased with my progress, don't need to go back until June, will have the titanium wire for my wedding (slightly more discreet), my headgear doesn't hurt anymore, I asked the q's I wanted and got answers and the best of all I will have no gaps at the end of my treatment (despite having several teeth missing). So i am pleased as well as hurting which I guess cancel's itself out!:lol:

Also on the plus side the pain from eatig ensures that I loose those extra kg's for my wedding!!!! [/list]

Blackcat

#24 Post by Blackcat »

Feeling quite a bit better today. Ate some nice homemade soup yesterday and some baked beans on toast. I am very concious about my eating habits and I eat very well. As I'm veggie I concume large amounts of veg, I prepare and cook all of our meals from scratch so my diet is good. The extra kilo's result from scoffing too many Cadbury Creme Eggs - now made temporarily impossible so thats how the weight will drop! Plus eating large amounts of thickly buttered bread isn't so easy anymore! Thanks for your concern and good wishes KK.

My headgear fits well again but has gone back to being uncomfortable due to the swelling in my cheeks! I woke this morning with marks on both sides of my cheeks even though I slept on my back ha ha! Much more postive again, I am concentrating on the good parts of the treatment. Anyway as the sun is shining I'm off to tend to my newly created vegetable garden.

Blackcat

#25 Post by Blackcat »

Forogt to say that the ortho has put this thing on my back two molars which is attached to a tooth he's trying to pull back. It's a clear, looks like plastic, spiral band. He said it's used to accelerate the movement of said tooth. It doesn't feel so bad just yet but I can tell the position of my teeth have moved again since I keep clashing them together - like when I first had the braces.
No pain at all today just aching.

sifumacho
Location: i came from Malaysia,but now i'm studying in Russia =]

#26 Post by sifumacho »

it's nice to hear that you no longer suffer from pain..best of luck! :lol:

Blackcat

#27 Post by Blackcat »

In much pain yesterday, spent all day in bed feeling like I'd been hit in the mouth with a baseball bat. My headgear feels uncomfortable and frequently wakes me which doesn't help. On the postive side my teeth are moving incredibly quickly, so much so I have increased the size of my TePe brushes! I'm hoping that the 4 years quoted to me for treatment will include the retainer part, but I won't bet on it!
On June 5th I go back to have the titanium wire put in and hopefully it will settle down before my wedding on June 29th.