Al dente has braced himself at age 43

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Al dente

Al dente has braced himself at age 43

#1 Post by Al dente »

Hello all, my first post here, as I was just braced with Damon MX a few hours ago.

I have some crowding above and below, with one of my upper front teeth overlapping its neighbor by about 4mm, and a crossbite that presents no functional problems. My teeth are otherwise strong, white, and healthy, so my problems are mostly aesthetic, and I've lived with them for decades. However, I've just gotten to the point where I'm sick of having to hide my smile. I do a good amount of public speaking and also have a career as an opera singer.

I had been to three orthos for paid consultations before deciding on my current one. These three had all recommended an extraction; two of them recommeneded RPE; one of them also wanted to do some inter-dental filing to gain more room. Prices ranged between 5,400 and 8,000 dollars-- not including the oral surgery that would have been involved.

The fourth ortho I visted is the one I finally chose. He told me that with Damon I would not need extraction, filing, or RPE, which made me quite sceptical given the fact that three of his colleagues had told me otherwise. Of all the orthos I visited, however, he took the most time to explain things to me in detail, and overall I was just very impressed with his practice and his approach.

The Damon MXs have been on now for about 6 hours, and I can barely feel them unless I deliberately wiggle my tongue and lips around. I do notice the tension of the archwire and the fact that my teeth are beginning to shift, which is actually a reassuring sensation. Seeing myself in the mirror for the first time I was reminded of the "jaws" character in those awful Roger Moore James Bond movies, but otherwise I'm happy about finally getting this taken care of. I'll try to download some pics when I can. In the meantime, I look forward to sharing other bracing stories with members on this board.

victor36

welcome, Al Dente!

#2 Post by victor36 »

Hello, Al Dente and welcome to ArchWired!

Congratulations on your decision to get braces. Kudos as well for waiting until the 4th consultation before moving forward. Looking forward to some pics; see you in the forums!

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

Al dente

Al dente gets braced, update May 4, '07

#3 Post by Al dente »

Okay, here goes. These were taken the day I got braced:

The picture of the lowers is not the best, but I think the crowding in front is apparent. The uppers speak for themselves, especially the narrowness of the arch. I sure hope my ortho is correct in saying this can be corrected without surgery.

So far I have had little or no pain in the teeth themselves, just a feeling of tension and pressure occasionally. My inner cheeks and, especially, my tongue are bit sore though. I have my first adjustment in six weeks.

smallbutmighty

#4 Post by smallbutmighty »

Al, I love the name you have chosen for yourself! :lol: Hope all goes well for you and look forward to seeing your improvement.
It's all in how you see yourself!

Al dente

may 30 update

#5 Post by Al dente »

Just six weeks in, and I've had two brackets pop off: one of them was just a few days after I was braced, due to my chewing a piece of steak; the other was just now. The upper left rearmost bracket, which was attached to a crown, popped off while I was sitting at my computer, not eating or drinking anything.

I wasn't able to get an appointment until tomorrow morning. So now the end of my archwire is just threatening to poke me in the cheek. Not fun.

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

Al- "the end of my archwire is just threatening to poke me in the cheek"

Hilarious, mine don't threaten, they just do it without warning.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

lionfish

Re: may 30 update

#7 Post by lionfish »

I wasn't able to get an appointment until tomorrow morning. So now the end of my archwire is just threatening to poke me in the cheek. Not fun.
This has been far and away the most uncomfortable thing that has happened to me. I endured a free floating wire for 3 days (it happened over a weekend) when a back bracket went down the hatch. The wire poked everything in sight and no amount of wax would make it stay put either. Hope you can get yours fixed quickly.

Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

Welcome Al dente. I have a rather narrow arch that needs expanding as well and I'm not having any teeth removed to do it either. Which is a good thing! The only tooth I've had removed is a wisdom tooth that needed to go even if I had chosen not to get braces.

Al dente

June 18 update

#9 Post by Al dente »

Today was my first adjustment, 8 weeks after being braced. A few days ago my upper archwire broke. My ortho's office said to just wait to come in for my adjustment in a few days rather than coming in on an emergency call, but no amount of wax could prevent the thing from scratching my lips and cheeks. As a result, I just yanked the whole thing out.

My new archwires look significantly more robust than my first ones, and I felt the difference immediately as they put them in. On top I now have a square-profile wire, the bottom one is still round but has a heavier guage than before. I feel some pressure, but no pain.

A question for any Damon experts out there: The Ormco/Damon website says that the initial archwire should be in for a minimum of 10 weeks, sometimes even 20 weeks, yet my ortho has already switched me to stiffer wires after 8 weeks. Is that normal? Any thoughts? My ortho did say he is somewhat disappointed with the lack of progress on my front upper occlusion (see photo upthread) so far and may have to put in a coil if that doesn't change.

bryndolin

#10 Post by bryndolin »

For Damon braces, the initial archwire should be left in a minimum of 10 weeks unless you don't need alot of expansion but it sounds like you do. I wonder if he is new with Damon braces and is rushing things a bit like he would with other braces (the ones with colors). When you have old braces (the ones with colors), if you aren't getting what you want, you move to a bigger wire. With Damon ,you are supposed to let the wire work. Maybe you can gently suggest that the first wire didn't seem like it was done working. If he leaves it in longer, maybe he will see the developmetn he is looknig for. :D

Good choice on choosing Damon though. I heard they are the BEST.

Al dente

loose wire no big deal?

#11 Post by Al dente »

Does this strike any of you as odd?

Yesterday my lower arch wire came loose from a molar bracket, the anchor bracket at the end ofthe wire. I went to my ortho and had it put back in, and was told it was due to something I ate.

Then later that day it came out again; it's as though the wire isn't long enough to extend fully into the bracket. When I called my ortho today to make an appointment to come in again, he said I don't need to until my next adjustment (3 weeks from now) unless it's bothering me. Now, the wire isn't bothering me at all, no poking or anything. But isn't it strange that he thinks there's no need to correct this problem?

eggraid101

#12 Post by eggraid101 »

AlDente,
First, congrats on beginning your journey!

As far as your concern with switching too early out of the first wire, this is not something you should be concerned about at all. Like KK said, the brackets actually have very little to do with moving your teeth. They are simply 'handles' that the orthodintist uses to move the teeth. Damon brackets profess to being everything short of a cure for cancer, but they are really not that different than many other brackets. Most of what they say is true for many other brackets, and some of the claims they make are a little exaggerated in my opinion. But...they are a good bracket, and I'm sure you will have excellent results.

The wire coming out of the back bracket is not at all unusual, it is an annoyance that will fade away as you move in to larger and stiffer wires. Indeed, it is not an emergency, either.

Keep up the progress! :)

eggraid101

#13 Post by eggraid101 »

AlDente,
First, congrats on beginning your journey!

As far as your concern with switching too early out of the first wire, this is not something you should be concerned about at all. Like KK said, the brackets actually have very little to do with moving your teeth. They are simply 'handles' that the orthodintist uses to move the teeth. Damon brackets profess to being everything short of a cure for cancer, but they are really not that different than many other brackets. Most of what they say is true for many other brackets, and some of the claims they make are a little exaggerated in my opinion. But...they are a good bracket, and I'm sure you will have excellent results.

The wire coming out of the back bracket is not at all unusual, it is an annoyance that will fade away as you move in to larger and stiffer wires. Indeed, it is not an emergency, either.

Keep up the progress! :)

Al dente

#14 Post by Al dente »

Thank you both for this input, which now makes me feel rather stupid. My ortho was peeved when I insisted on coming in anyway today, but in the end it was for the better, as he took the time to really explain what was going on. Despite this gaffe, I now feel better about our relationship overall.

(Jeez, this is beginning to sound like Dr. Phil.)

What made all this even more awkward was that a bracket popped off right after I walked out the door! Just not my day. Anyway, I now have a new, square archwire on the bottom which extends back to the rearmost molars. I'm seeing a good deal of movement in top and bottom, and from now on I'm just going to trust my ortho.

Milk n Cereal

#15 Post by Milk n Cereal »

Hello there Al dente! Love the name. :lol: I actually had the same thing happen with my archwire coming out of the buccal tube. I went in to get it fixed and they said to not worry about it next time. :roll: Better to be concerned than not care at all, right?

Anyway, cheers to movement! :-88

Click on WWW below for my story!