Nance button worries.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Runnamuck62

Nance button worries.

#1 Post by Runnamuck62 »

I had a nance button inserted onto the roof of my mouth today when I first got my braces. I speak with a bad lisp now and I'm worried that it wont go away. Can I get used to the nance button and speak normally again?

MommaDucky

#2 Post by MommaDucky »

Hi there, runnamuck62!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time - unfortunately, I'm totally useless for advice regarding your problem as I've never had any appliances like that.

In any case, just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forums. Good luck!!!
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

cwatt1

#3 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Runnamuck, and welcome!

There are a few folks who regularly post here who have used the Nance appliance; I imagine one of them will respond in due time. Additionally, you should be able to find other posts here about the Nance by using the search feature and simply typing in that phrase.

Take good care :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

Try saying The Rainbow Passage aloud to get used to speaking with your nance.

When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act as a prism and form a rainbow. The rainbow is a division of white light into many beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch, with its path high above, and its two ends apparently beyond the horizon. There is , according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at one end. People look, but no one ever finds it. When a man looks for something beyond his reach, his friends say he is looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Throughout the centuries people have explained the rainbow in various ways. Some have accepted it as a miracle without physical explanation. To the Hebrews it was a token that there would be no more universal floods. The Greeks used to imagine that it was a sign from the gods to foretell war or heavy rain. The Norsemen considered the rainbow as a bridge over which the gods passed from earth to their home in the sky. Others have tried to explain the phenomenon physically. Aristotle thought that the rainbow was caused by reflection of the sun's rays by the rain. Since then physicists have found that it is not reflection, but refraction by the raindrops which causes the rainbows. Many complicated ideas about the rainbow have been formed. The difference in the rainbow depends considerably upon the size of the drops, and the width of the colored band increases as the size of the drops increases. The actual primary rainbow observed is said to be the effect of super-imposition of a number of bows. If the red of the second bow falls upon the green of the first, the result is to give a bow with an abnormally wide yellow band, since red and green light when mixed form yellow. This is a very common type of bow, one showing mainly red and yellow, with little or no green or blue.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Runnamuck62

#5 Post by Runnamuck62 »

thanks for the help guys! I am beginning to get used to the nance and I no longer sound like a 2 year old thats just beginning to talk.

Cheers

MommaDucky

#6 Post by MommaDucky »

Glad things are getting easier for you.
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

You rule the nance, the nance doesn't rule you. Glad things are coming along for you.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

So right, Miss Smiley!

Run, I had a Nance until a month ago and will be getting another one very soon. I had the first one for about a year. It only took about a week before I didn't really notice it anymore, and the speech problems only lasted a few days. I'm glad things are getting easier for you. Keep talking and within a few days you'll sound just like you did before.

cwatt1

#9 Post by cwatt1 »

Great things are improving, Runnamuck! You seem to be adjusting to the Nance button well. Like most orthodontic appliances, apparently you just have to get used to them (as if I know anything about the Nance :lol: )

Click here to read about my progress.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

cwatt, wedge a large piece of chewing gum or a piece of hard candy in the roof of your mouth, and go about your daily business.

Experience that true Nance feeling from the comfort of your armchair. :lol:

jorx

#11 Post by jorx »

Hang on, the Nance DOES get better! I hardly notice mine, and it's definetly more comfortable than the TPA...

flesh-was-sweet

#12 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Hi Runnamuck62!

I have a nance button also, you're right, after a couple of days you'll no longer know it's there!

It also comes in handy on the plane - no need to buy hard boiled sweets for takeoff when you have your very own installed piece of plastic :D

Anni