Teacher with braces- my story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

teacherwithbraces

Teacher with braces- my story

#1 Post by teacherwithbraces »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I don't really know what I'm doing-it all looks so complicated to me-but I'll give it a go, anyway. It's 10 months today since I had my braces on- I can't believe I've survived 10 months. I'm 49 years old and I was really hoping my braces would be off for my 50th in December, but my orthodontist said it's going to be Easter.
When I look back at pictures of myself before braces, I have no regrets but I have found the last 10 months a real struggle. My problem was that I only ever had 3 inscissor teeth, and my dentist had filed my one canine down to look like an inscissor. As I grew older, my teeth seemed to move over and cross over one another more. All I could see when I looked in the mirror or at photographs were crooked teeth. I teach 4&5 year olds which requires that I smile a lot, but I was increasingly conscious of my teeth. My 3 children have had braces and one day I happened to mention to the orthodontist that I would love to have staight teeth, but it was too late for me - at least my daughter would have the lovely smile I longed for. ( Someone had told me years ago that you couldn't have braces after teenage years) The orthodontist assured me that you could have braces until you died- after that they don't really work! So I started thinking long and hard about it. I had a consultation and decided to go ahead, but as the date got nearer I cancelled the appointment. What would people think of me at my age? How could I face parents each day and attend parents' evenings with a brace on? Eventually I plucked up th courage again to go ahead and on the 7th Dec 2006, the day before I broke up for a 4 weeks Christmas holiday I had 3 teeth out- one inscissor at the top and one pre molar and one molar at the bottom- and was wired up on the 13th Dec. I have ceramics on the top and metals on the bottom. I'm hoping to get some pictures up-don't know how to do it yet. [

Higgy

#2 Post by Higgy »

Hey there,

Nice to meet you and welcome to the board....it sounds like you've had a lot going on! I really look forward to seeing your pictures! If you have any problem uploading the pictures, there's a great section on the how to board about it...makes it easy enough that even I can do it:) Congrats on your progress!

BigSmileInOhio

#3 Post by BigSmileInOhio »

Hey, there, teacher. I also waited until later in life...I'm 36 and just got my braces on in September. I will be student teaching next fall and want to have the confidence I need to concentrate on the work instead of my smile. I think you're very brave! Children comment on EVERYTHING! Especially the younger ones...

Good luck with the new you!
:D

rhonda30

#4 Post by rhonda30 »

As a teacher in my 50s I know what you went through with your decision making process. I think you will agree that the person most aware of your braces is yourself. I had to get metal braces and I think the vast majority of my students either don't notice them or have no opinion on them. I now wish they would notice them more which might mean they are paying attention to what I am teaching.

I had mine put on in Nov 2006 and was hoping to get them off by Xmas but the lastest news is that it will be after the 1st of the year.

Hope all goes well and look forward to seeing your updates.

Rosie

#5 Post by Rosie »

Hi I'm new here too, so just wanted to say hi and welcom. :D

mayday

#6 Post by mayday »

I'm student teaching right now! Occasionally students will mention something about my braces--usually they are positive comments (they are younger students though)!

I also had those same feelings prior to getting braces. I wanted to feel comfortable when smiling around people. It's hard to believe it's two months shy of a year since first getting braced.

Take care

Wired Skull

#7 Post by Wired Skull »

Hi teacherwithbraces

I totally agree to what you feeled like. I'm not a teacher but work as an educator for companies selling education. Which means that I do a lot of speaking in front of people and also meet a lot of people. My biggest concern getting braces was.

1. Is the cost worth it?
2. May the teeth get damage?
3. What will others think or react?

As you certainly already experinced most people won't care at all. They just notice them and go along as usual. Some of course asks some questions out of curiousity but that's no problem for me.
It's also a fact that I'm not the first brace wearer so many has of course their own experince of braces and know what's going on.
After 9 months of braces and no problems I only regret I didn't do it when I first planned it back in 1999.

Good luck.
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/