mjbusch - Well I thought my tmj pain was gone, but it's back

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mjbusch

#16 Post by mjbusch »

Since there are those indentations that are set by the orthodontist. So when you bite down your teeth only fit into those groves. So after a few weeks your bite will get adjusted there and your joint has time to heal.

The new rick anator appliance is just like a bite plane. It is banded into the back molars and then a acrylic piece goes in behind the front top teeth. So when you bite down your bottom teeth will touch the acrylic and then I will have elastics from all the top molars to there same corresponding molar on the bottom. This is where they will erupt my molar teeth.

MommaDucky

#17 Post by MommaDucky »

Thanks for the info! I don't think there are any appliances in my future with my orthodontic treatment, so I really don't know much about this kind of thing. I appreciate you filling me in.

Hope all is going well!
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

mjbusch

#18 Post by mjbusch »

I lost a ligature. I am not sure how it happened and I haven't informed my orthodontist. I have an appointment in about two and a half weeks, so I might wait till then since the wire is still inside the bracket.

No other updates, my teeth have seem to have moved a little. But I can't really see any differences yet. I will post a picture when there has been a change.

MommaDucky

#19 Post by MommaDucky »

ahh, how frustrating! I nearly lost a ligature just an hour or so after my most recent adjustment... it was barely hanging on to a corner of the bracket when I discovered the problem. Luckily for me, I was able to get it back on there.

Two and a half weeks until your next adjustment... perhaps you should nip in to your ortho anyway, just in case having the lig missing would actually create a problem? Of course, I'm not an orthodontist, but if it isn't out of your way to go, I'm sure it could be replaced in a matter of seconds.

Anyway, hope all is going well. Glad to hear your teeth are on the move! Make sure to take lots of progress pictures- you'll be glad you did. Take care!
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

mjbusch

Putting in my own spacers and getting braced in 2 weeks

#20 Post by mjbusch »

I just thought I would update everyone that I will be inserting my own spacers and getting lower braces in two weeks. I will also have to put in spacers on my upper molar since one my bands had fallen off a week before Christmas.

mjbusch

#21 Post by mjbusch »

Spacers are in I had to put in 6 spacers all together. 4 for the bottom molars and 2 my right upper. It took about 15 minutes for me to put all of them in correctly. They are very painful on the bottom since I have to have the splint over the top of them and it now makes the splint a little spongy.

Mike

gabi

#22 Post by gabi »

I have TMJ and only found relief with a similar splint therapy to the MORA. It is amazing when, after years of pain, little pieces of acrylic can help so much. I'm having the orthodontics now for the same reason - to fix my now open bite.

mjbusch

#23 Post by mjbusch »

It is totally amazing that the mora was able to fix my tmj issues. I will be losing it next monday and getting a rickantor appliance along with lower braces. I am still a little nervous about this new appliance, but I will be happy to move on.

mjbusch

#24 Post by mjbusch »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got my new rickanator appliance. It is very annoying since I am unable to talk with it in. Also there is about a 1/4 space in between my upper and lower molars. So I have to have elastics pulling up my lower molars. It is quite painful. Here are some photos.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/m ... astics.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/m ... astics.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/m ... anator.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/m ... nator2.jpg

Miss Smiley

#25 Post by Miss Smiley »

My my, looks like we're having fun now!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

mjbusch

#26 Post by mjbusch »

Not really.... It is quite painful but I have noticed my back molars have move a lot... Working has been extremly difficult because I have been trying to avoid talking.

Miss Smiley

#27 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hopefully you get better acquainted with your new friends and rather quickly at that. :-88 Here's to things adjusting quickly!!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

mjbusch

#28 Post by mjbusch »

Well my molars moved maybe to quick. The space seemed to close in about 2 and a half weeks. Now I have been without elastics for about 4 weeks and the left side of my jaw is starting to ache like it did last year before the splint. It is fustrating that I have done all this and now it seems to be back to where I was last year.

Meloho

#29 Post by Meloho »

Ouch, that's not good...has your ortho said anything about the pain?
Your rick-a-nator looks different than mine - your bottom teeth fit into grooves underneath it, right? Mine don't even touch the acrylic at the roof of my mouth and you can't see the acrylic at all behind my front teeth. I guess that's why I have the bite plate on the bottom...probably amounts to the same thing.
So will your front bottom teeth have to come up after or does the lack of a bottom bite plate mean they're already in the right place?

mjbusch

#30 Post by mjbusch »

Well I got lower braces at my last appointment with a very thin archwire. So for the pain I got my bottom left second molar built up. So now I am wearing elastics again hopefully moving my bite to a pain free location.

My rickanator was hard to deal with at first but now I almost forget that I have it. My bottom teeth fit into the groves so that my molars can erupt. I guess I will have to post new pictures since they have moved a lot since my last picture update.