OUCH, got my spacers and they hurt!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

athomemom

OUCH, got my spacers and they hurt!

#1 Post by athomemom »

hi there, I'm new here! yesturday I got my spacers put in and will have them til next wed then the hardwire goes on yikes! did anyone else have pain in any area the day of or after having spacers inplanted or I'm wondering if there's something wrong. I feel the teeth pushing together and was up lots in the night in pain in one area. is this the norm the first few days?

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

Hi, and welcome! Congratulations on starting your braces journey - glad to have you on the boards :) I personally have never had spacers but from what I've heard from many others on here, it sounds like what you're experiencing is very normal. Most people seem to think that the spaces are worse than the braces and if you can survive the soreness of the spacers than the braces will be easy, hehe. I'm sorry to hear the pain kept you up at night :( Did you try taking over the counter pain killers? It might help take the edge off...

Rachel B

#3 Post by Rachel B »

Icky yucky spacers. Yes they are horrid. They were the worst bit for me and I was soooo glad to get them out. One of the worst things was that I couldn't chew anything....ANYTHING! I lived on soup and ice cream. It's so much better when you get over this bit. :D

athomemom

#4 Post by athomemom »

aw thanks for replying, yes it sucks having these spacers, i'm desperate to get them out, feeling like foods stuck and it hurts just isn't my cup of tea. brushing's sort of tender as well and i'm staying away from the floss man, aint going there obviously lol. I feel the teeth adjusting to the spacers, it's weird and really uncomfortable. when will this stop or does this happen the entire week they are in? i'm noticing already my bite not linning up like it did before they went in, anyone else experience that?
thanks for your support and warm welcome!!! :wink:

brika

#5 Post by brika »

Aww, I'm so sorry you're going through the horrors of spacers. :( Those things are probably the worst part of treatment... so at least you'll have it out of the way soon!

The spacers are pushing your teeth out of the positions you're used to, so I'm not surprised that your bite feels off. Mine made my teeth feel pretty sore and awful for the whole week they were in. Well, they actually felt a little better on the morning they came out. :roll:

Treat yourself to some ice cream and other yummy soft foods... Hopefully this week will go by quickly for you and you can get those horrible things out!!

athomemom

#6 Post by athomemom »

well thanks for reassuring me things are normal lol. i've never been through this before, my child birth wasn't even this annoying lol. i'm eating soft foods which is good, this could be a weight loss alternative for me, gee pay 6,300 dollars and lose a couple pounds lol. k i'm not really laughing cuz that's frigging expensive and no compensation from our health plan cuz i'm over 19, gee thanks! i hope for a better night tonight and my husbands bringing home more advil ...oy. :cry:

Tommm

#7 Post by Tommm »

Congrats on starting your journey! I agree that the spacers are the worst part and it gets better and better from there. Good luck!

Bekah

#8 Post by Bekah »

Welcome to the boards! I thank the good lord that I didn't have spacers. My son had them and he was miserable! I hope you feel better soon.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

athomemom

#9 Post by athomemom »

well thanks for mentioning that, Tom and Bekah. it's really uncomfortable although last night was a much better night. probably thanks to the extra strength advil. i've been awale for 5min already and it feels like someones yanking on my bottom teeth with pliars. thi is SO painful. geewiz. as I shake the advil bottle some more, come to mamma little round pills. lol

have a great day guys, thanks for your input. I'm glad u didn't have to go through this!!! :?

Abbey70

#10 Post by Abbey70 »

I've had my spacers in 3 days and my mouth feels almost normal. Still can't chew much more beyond soft pasta, beans and the like. Those first two days though were rough.

Have any of you taken Advil PM? Is it just me or does it knock you out more than its Tylenol counterpart?
Brackets and archwire put on 1/26/09
Spacers 2/24/09
Bands & rewire 3/9/09

athomemom

#11 Post by athomemom »

LOL well i haven't tried that but perhaps I should. I've been taking advil regular then as of last night started the extra strength. needed it bigtime! this morning was even worse so almost made myself a strong martini lol. i kept to the advil though. i'm thinking positive and hoping it gets better through the day and week until wed, then they come out and the braces go on. then it's a 2yr waiting game. who new i have perfectly straight teeth through all of this too, but an impacted tooth decided to make it's way in through the roof of my mouth slowly but surely after i turned 30. so it's peeking its way in and this was the only resolution to this matter. could have been worse I guess. :roll:

sdawdy

YUCK....SPACERS

#12 Post by sdawdy »

I hated spacers....they are by far the worst part of the treatment....trust me it gets better!!! Hold in there and it will get better

SD

athomemom

#13 Post by athomemom »

thanks for the replies and support. yesturday was a rather bad day of pain, suffered through it with lots of extra strength advil, right into the night in fact so I woke up feeling a little sick, anyone else have that before. like I was on a high unfamiliar to me. i tried eating and drinking water some but now my gums are throbbing, feels like someones digging a sharp knife point into my gums. only 3 more days of this crap!!!!!!

brika

#14 Post by brika »

Aww, I'm sorry to hear how horrible it's been!
The only things I can think of are swishing some warm salt-water and maybe avoiding super hot or cold foods while your teeth are more sensitive. Rubbing something like Anbesol (a toothache medicine) on your gums might help too. I've only used it once when I had a particularly achy tooth that hurt all the way up into my gums, and although it made my tongue and lips numb too, it did stop the pain... ;P
I hope the next three days go by quickly for you! Good luck!