Bite Plane Madness

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bill

Bite Plane Madness

#1 Post by bill »

oh joy! Today I had a bite plane installed along with the bottom braces. this is a milestone that I've been waiting for since October when the top metal grill was added.

some folks don't need bite planes. it's a plastic and metal (of course metal) device that attaches to little barb hooks that are installed on the back teeth. the device then wraps up to just behind the front teeth and keeps us bite planed folks from chomping off the lower braces and making a meal of them.

It also provides an immediate lisp and a dread for eating....I could lose a number of pounds with this wonderful modern marvel of dentistry installed! Weight watchers may want to know more about this thing.

if you have one and want to rant or discuss or just trade stories please do!

8)
bill

Braces OFF: 4 October 2006....can't stop SMILING!

bill

#2 Post by bill »

ok, I was pretty 'up' about this experience yesterday...last night was a nightmare and the appliance had to go! when I check here and see that no one else has experience with this I have to wonder why I am so fortunate!
There's really no one else that has a story to share about this??

Theres a lot less 8)
and a lot more :cry: today
bill

Braces OFF: 4 October 2006....can't stop SMILING!

jaws

#3 Post by jaws »

I don't personally have a bite plane, but I know that a bunch of people on this site have them--they might just call them by different names. Try using the forum's search engine to look up 'bite plane' and other related words, and I'm sure you'll find people who have experienced similar things. Here is a post from someone who was pregnant with bite planes:

I don't have a bite plane, but I do have a top expander that makes it tricky for me to eat and speak (I now have a lisp!). I also have material on my back molars that makes it impossible to close my mouth all the way. At first I thought I would never get used to it. It has now been 6 weeks and although it's still annoying, it is much more managable.

Good luck!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

ThatsMrsGeek2U

sagittal appliance

#4 Post by ThatsMrsGeek2U »

I don't have a bite plane, but I do have an appliance that fits "sort-of" the same way. Mine has another purpose completely (distalizing molars), but also helps keep me from biting off my bottom brackets. It will get easier as you get used to it, but I think it is the worst part of braces. Just remember, if you can do this the rest will be easy! (or so I keep telling myself - haha)

My advice to you - pay attention when you sneeze and try to keep your teeth apart. The first time I sneezed with mine in I had to go look to see if I broke my bottom teeth - don't worry, I didn't and I don't think you will either, but it sure felt like it. Another person on here said she did the same thing with hers when she sneezed. Ouch! :shock: I don't remember who it was, but maybe she will come forward to commiserate with you, too. :)

As you get used to it you will pay attention not to do things like sneeze wrong or bite down on it too hard, though. I also had a hard time sleeping at first because I couldn't get my jaw comfy without a way to put my teeth together and I still slobber SOOOOO much when it is in. I was told this would go away, but it hasn't for me. I also miss being able to bite into things, but I am not sure how much you have this problem? I have to tear anything I eat up and put it in the back to try to chew - and it is not really chewing, either - more like mushing around against the inside of my mouth with my tongue. I don't think most people wear this stuff for a very long time, so keep your eye on the prize - it is almost over even though it has just begun. :wink:

Larisa

bill

#5 Post by Larisa »

I am a proud owner of a bite plate. Mine is necessary to correct my overbite, yet it is still very uncomfortable. I jusst got mine today and am trying to improve my speech which is veru slured now :( It is also making my teeth sore :((( But I am optimistic and hope it will get better SOON!