Haley J's Story - Second time in Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

haleyj

Haley J's Story - Second time in Braces

#1 Post by haleyj »

I am 27, I had braces as a child for 4 years, my parents took me to a dentist and not an orthodontist since it was half price, but I’ve learned that you get what you pay for. I still had an impacted tooth and an overbite (because I refused to wear my elastics or headgear).

My current dentist had been suggesting braces to me for awhile and I dismissed that idea, but finally after deciding the alternative could be worse I went for the consultation. After the issue shock of the price and length of time I would have to wear them I decided to go for it. I was surprised that I would have to have full braces for 1 to 1 ½ years since I had already done 4 years, my teeth still looked straight to me but I never really wore my retainer.

I got the braces on four months ago, ceramic on top and metal on bottom. I had to have 6 spacers put in and they were hard to go in and had to be worn for two weeks, I think that is one of the worst parts actually. The day the braces were put on I did not take any painkiller before hand and wish I would have. About an hour after they were on I was feeling the pain, I took the afternoon off of work and took a nice long nap which seemed to do the trick!

The impacted tooth came up in no time I noticed it being up with the rest within the first two months. Today I just got my third set of wires (rectangular) on and to my surprise I had to get power chains on top and bottom and am wearing elastics for 22 hours a day. I am surprised at the process I think everything is going well and things are moving faster than I originally thought they would.

I am supposed to have forsus springs but they said if I wear the elastics like they suggest it may be possible to fix my bite without the springs. I am going to wear them for sure this time around and hope to not have those springs in there taking up more space. I can definitely feel the pressure but I am determined to do what it takes and get these off as soon as possible.

I take so much better care of my teeth now, brushing, rinsing and flossing is pretty easy if you get the floss for braces with the reinforced end. I have no problem’s flossing the front and side teeth but the back ones can still be a little difficult.

It is definitely not always pain free or comfortable but once the pain subsides after new wires, etc I have found that is pretty easy to eat the foods you like. I have put together a little braces kit to keep in my purse containing a toothbrush, toothpaste, mouth rinse, mirror, Floss, wax (which I haven’t really used) and elastics all together so I always have what I need.

I now look forward to just being able to wear a retainer, I am so looking forward to that day and am glad I have decided to do it now at 27 instead of waiting till later or till I possibly had more problems. I will still probably be wearing them at my ten year reunion but I don’t think that is a big deal, most people notice I got them and some people tease but I smile as much as I always did before and wear them with pride, there is nothing wrong with taking the steps to take care of yourself and your teeth!

Lynne

#2 Post by Lynne »

Good luck with getting braced for the second time - it sounds like you're doing absolutely the best thing!

I am older than you and wished I had got my treatment started much sooner, but am so glad that I am doing it now.

Do keep posting, it will be great to follow your progress
:-1

mikesmile

#3 Post by mikesmile »

Hi,

Nice to hear your story. I can definitely empathize with what you're going through. I first had braces put on when I was your age(27). I wore metal brackets and elastics for 2-1/2 years. The treatment corrected some of my alignment problems, but I also had issues with having a "closed bite". This had caused some damage to my 4 lower front teeth. When the orthodontist removed my braces, I felt like this problem wasn't entirely resolved, but was too sheepish to say anything to him. I went home w/ my retainers, which I wore for several years 'till they were accidentally thrown away! :oops: Now at 52, not only have my teeth shifted, but this closed bite issue has come back to haunt me. At a teeth cleaning appointment a couple of weeks ago, the hygienist and dentist both commented on the damage to my front teeth caused by the fact that they slam into each other when I bite down. Since that day, I kept thinking about it until finally calling to schedule an appointment (next friday) w/ an orthodontist. I'm confident that the problem can be fixed - once and for all, & I'm preparing mentally for what he has to say, 'cause I'm quite sure that he's going to recommend putting braces on me again. I am both nervous and excited. I never thought I'd go this route a second time around, but It's great to know that I'm not the only one. :D Good Luck & thanks for sharing your story.

haleyj

Not so bad

#4 Post by haleyj »

So just for an update here - after getting the elastics and power chains my teeth were VERY sore for the first 36 hours or so, but now it's my fourth day with elastics and I am confident that I can wear them the recommended 22 hours aday. My teeth are still a little sore when eating but it is getting better and better!! :lol: