My 'new smile' diary

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

timetosmile

My 'new smile' diary

#1 Post by timetosmile »

Just joined. First Post. First Day in fixed metal braces aged 41.

I finally decided to put my money where my mouth is and saw a private orthodontist last August who referred me to the NHS due to a severe overbite. The NHS agreed to treat me and seven months later I had fixed metal braces to the top teeth fitted yesterday, moving them forward so bottom braces can be fitted in ten weeks time. Lower jaw surgery will be performed in approximately 12 months time.

No problems so far.. I will upload before photos soon :lol:
Better late than never !

50+

Welcome!

#2 Post by 50+ »

Welcome - I've been in braces for 3 weeks - so on the same schedule but will not be having jaw surgery. I will, however, have mini-plates inserted to help anchor the back teeth. How long will your treatment be? Mine will be 31 months. Seems like a long time, but the first 3 weeks have gone by faster than I thought - so maybe by the time I finish this note - the time will have passed! :) nope! :(
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

timetosmile

#3 Post by timetosmile »

Hi 51+

How are your braces feeling? I am still waiting for the pain/headache everyone has told me about, I have nothing so far. The orthodontic treatment is expected to be around 18 months in total. However after that I need to pay for veneers/crowns to be fitted on the front four teeth - top and bottom - as they have chipped and down over the years due to my bad bite...Still, it will all be worth it for a healthy smile :D
Better late than never !

50+

Hi Time to Smile

#4 Post by 50+ »

All has gone pretty smoothly so far. A lot has been just getting used to having these things in my mouth. My tongue really has had a workout and has touched areas of my mouth that I didn't even know I had! :lol:

No real pain except for the rawness I felt from the brackets rubbing the inside of my lips - but wax did the trick. The first few nights I took Tylenol Pm so I knew I would get a good night's sleep, but didn't experience the pain that everyone said I would have. I have my first adjustment on the 25th so looking forward to having some questions answered. First of all, my teeth feel numb - so I'm hoping that is normal and maybe that 's why I'm not feeling pain. My teeth feel loose and I have seen movement already - especially on my bottom teeth. I also feel a little tug of the wire every so often..it's kind of a weird feeling, but it's not painful. I also feel like my bite has changed some. Eating has been difficult since I can only chew on one side and my molars don't go together because of the brackets on my front bottom teeth. I've lost about 5 lbs - which is fine with me!! Hoping to lose another 5 or 10! 18 months sound like a whole lot better than 31 - but I don't have to have jaw surgery...you poor thing :(

It's nice to find someone on the same "schedule" so to speak, at least at the beginning. Hope it goes well with you.

timetosmile

#5 Post by timetosmile »

Week 1

My first week in braces has been fine - no pain I can just feel the tension of the archwire just as 50+ says, my teeth seem have loosened a bit and I have got into a bad habit of pressing my tongue against the roof of my mouth just to feel them 'give' a bit. I had to use some wax at the end of the wires as they were scraping my inner cheek, but I haven't bothered this week as I dont notice it so much and also I forget to take the wax out when eating so I have swallowed a few balls!! - so far so good, but my fiance has warned me that things will change when my wires get changed! He is fully supportive, my teenagers call me braceface but I take that with the humour it's intended :lol:
Eating is still strange, my upper teeth are quite worn so the brackets take up most of the area, I am sticking to soups, pastas and smoothies at the moment.

I have received mixed reactions from friends and colleagues, most can't
understand why I put myself through this at my age and I did start to feel a bit self concious and started to put my hand in front of my mouth
when I talked. I have stopped that now after deciding to ignore negative reactions and be confident and show them off - I was always self concious and smiled with my mouth closed before anyway so now change there! My Mother is quietly disaproving, but I knew I would get that reaction anyway!

Can anyone tell me in 'uploading phots for dummies' speak, how to upload some photos to this blog... I'm a bit of a technophobe..

All is good. Onward and upward.. :D
Better late than never !

timetosmile

#6 Post by timetosmile »

Week 2

Ok, my teeth are no longer sensitive, the braces are quite comfortable actually. The novelty has started to wear off now as I no longer check my mouth out each time I pass the mirror. I am quite impatient and haven't yet seen any movement - of course you haven't, it has only been two weeks!!! So I suppose I have started to loose interest, good job really as my first adjustment is not until 1st June (after 12 weeks) cos the Ortho is on holiday throughout May. So, nothing interesting to report apart from realising to my own cost that you really shouldn't be eating highly coloured sauces such as spag bol and curry with tooth coloured ligs - it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference even if you do swig water after every mouthful. I never did listen :roll: All part of the fun!

I'm glad I have taken some before photos though, just to compare at the end and I am still obsessed with reading other blogs especially the ones where you can see the amazing transformations.

It is another grey day here in the UK. Roll on springtime...
Better late than never !

50+

Hi Time to Smile

#7 Post by 50+ »

I still haven't had any discomfort except for some occasional pressure. That means they are doing their job. I have seen a difference after 1 month and 1 week! My first adjustment is on Thursday. Waiting to see if that will cause the "pain" people have been talking about. I'm hoping that my ortho sees the amount of movement and drop off a few months of my treatment! Is that wishful thinking? I'll find out and let you know on Friday!

It's fun to read other's experiences...and nice to know we're not the only "adults" out there with braces!! :D

timetosmile

#8 Post by timetosmile »

Hey 50+,

Glad things are good with you also, best of luck on Friday, I look forward to hearing how you get on. I'm also glad that you can see an improvement :) .

Adults with braces in the US seem more common place than the UK - Mind you, we do have a bit of a reputation as a nation with bad teeth :oops:
Better late than never !

timetosmile

#9 Post by timetosmile »

No longer a technophobe! :shock:

My Before photos

http://toothandnails.blogspot.com/
Better late than never !

50+

My first adjustment

#10 Post by 50+ »

I had my first adjustment!! Other than the pain while the "bumpers" were being put on - it went well! I guess they call them bumpers to keep my front teeth from hitting each other. I don't know if they are o rings or what. I am not offered a color- they just put clear ones on. I guess it keeps it simple for everyone involved. That's ok - not sure if I wanted to be daring by trying different colors!!

My ortho said I was progressing nicely - didn't like the idea of my asking if my treatment can be shortened because it was going so well!! I am a "complicated" case as he calls me - so I'm in it for the long haul!! 30 1/2 months to go! As I left the office, they gave me a slip of paper, which I guess, was supposed to be given to my parents....a report card, so to speak! I had 'good' oral hygiene and was a 'good and cooperative' patient! and treatment was going as expected. Great - I guess I'm doing everything right! :D

So, for those who are dreading their adjustments - there's nothing to it! I didn't even take Tylenol prior to - I had forgotten and thought about it during the "pain" and thought I'd need it later on - but didn't!

Sorry :( - timetosmile - I seem to be using your post as my update! I'll be writing some things on my blog as well. Hope your first adjustment goes as well as mine!!