My first day with Damon braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

grev

My first day with Damon braces

#1 Post by grev »

I am 35, and a mother of 2. Happy with my overbite but when I found it my bite wasn't stable and the overbite will become worse over time I decided it was time for braces.

The whole procedure of placing the brackets was manageable. 5-6 hours later was when I felt the soreness and had to take a few ibuprofen. Now 8 hours later my mouth is really sore. I had been chewing on the left side because I had my upper right premolar taken out 3 days ago. Now I can only swallow and not chew anything...mind over matter, while it's hurting I tell myself my teeth are moving and it's all for the best same way your muscles hurt during a good exercise.

Bought protein shake for the next few days which I will supplement with yogurt and some hearty soup.

Looking forward to losing a few pounds due to limitations of snacking. Also ordered a waterpik with a big tank for home use and a portable one for work.

I am hoping like other posts I will transition to some solid food in a week or so.

:)

appygirl82

#2 Post by appygirl82 »

My advice is to not "baby" your teeth very much. Eat and chew as much as you can stand as soon as you can. I was really never on a soft food diet totally. First couple days I stuck to pasta pretty much but always kinda pushed the envelope just a little bit.....basically chewing with your teeth will make them less sore over about a week or two. You will be less sore much faster. Even chew some sugar free gum too...it really will help to use those teeth even though it hurts! :D

wildtoo11

#3 Post by wildtoo11 »

I'm with you. I had all four premolars taken out last friday and I've basically been on no chew diet since.

Good luck to you! I'll be following your story.

jensceana73

#4 Post by jensceana73 »

I feel for you, just got braces put on last week. It does get better, and good advise on the not "babying" them...I find the more I "work" my teeth..the better it gets each day to chew. Good luck to you, just think of the outcome!!! :HugeGrin:
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

grev

DAY 2 WITH BRACES

#5 Post by grev »

Took 400 mg motrin at midnight and a few more during the day. Pain was constant but it's a good thing I've been busy with work. My orthodontist left me a voicemail to check how I was doing. I called back and let him know I was sore but tolerable with meds.

Just had a protein shake for breakfast and lunch bec. my teeth are still painful and so that it will not be a pain to clean at work. I should've bought some yogurt for snack in between meals. Mental note for tomorrow.

When I get home i was starving so I cut up some spaghetti, attempted to chew but really just swallowed chunks. I even had mashed brownies for dessert. Spent 45 mins flossing and cleaning my teeth and tomorrow is another day!

I am looking at my extraction site, upper left, soft tissue healing is about 70% Maybe in 4-5 days there will be soft tissue closure and I can be braver about testing the boundaries of my chewing abilities given the sore condition of my teeth.

The generalized pain comes and goes. Looking forward to the delivery of my waterpik this week.

I weighed myself at lunch. Lost 2lbs in 5 days! Not bad!

grev

day 4 with braces

#6 Post by grev »

yesterday one of my turbo bites fell out (blue resin that's bonded to the biting surface of your molar so you don't knock off a bracket) and i went in today for them to replace it

my extraction site on he upper left premolar is healing well and I have graduated to rice and soup with tapoica pudding together with my protein shake

i floss everyday eventhough it's tender to prevent any decay and rinse with fluoride daily

the pain has subsided but I am still unable to chew comfortable, i'd rather wait

cmone

#7 Post by cmone »

Welcome aboard! Been braced about 3 weeks so I feel your pain but it does get better. Hope you're eating subs soon. Ibuprofen & wax are your best friends right now. & ordering the waterpik is 1 of the best decisions you could have made. Good luck.
Live free or die

wildtoo11

#8 Post by wildtoo11 »

Grev,

I finally gave up last night and ate a cheeseburger. It's been a little over a week since my braces and 6 days since all four of my premolars were pulled. It was difficult because the extraction sites feel weird since you've never really felt anything there before, but it was doable. (And really Yummy!) :-#)

I did go and brush and rinse with salt water right away to make sure the sites were clear.

I've found that sneezing is the scarriest part because I'm afraid the pressure difference is going to do something to the clots. But I'm good so far!

Good Luck to you. Hope you're chewing food soon! :GapToothed:

grev

DAY 7 WITH DAMON

#9 Post by grev »

I really find these bite turbos on my upper left and right molar annoying. It's like having a 3mm high filling and is causing just those molars touching to be tender.

The soreness from my teeth in general has subsided but still there but eating is still limited to pretty much anything I can swallow whole. Have been eating oatmeal, mashed potatoes and noodle soup in addition to my protein shake so I my menu is expanding.

Found a coupon today for pork and beans which gave me an idea what I can eat next. The roof of my mouth is tender from trying to melt sugar cookies against them with my tongue so I guess I just need to take it easy.

Younger kids have no problems after a few days of having braces I surveyed but middle aged people like me seem to have.

I might try chili beans this week and yes I have realized spaghetti is my friend, it's the closest semblance to a meal that I have.

My friends and family feel for me bec. when we went out to a pizza place today I just drank my protein shake for lunch. I tried chewing bite sized bread I just cant chew withe turbo bites bot to mention the fact that they hurt plus at least I can interact without worrying what's in my bracket.

I reserve trying to eat mushy meals at home where I can clean them promptly.

2 years seem to be awfully long to eat this way so I am hoping I learn to eat more solids somehow with the turbo bites unless somehow they can be removed early.

I have lost 5 pounds in 10 days counting after premolar was removed to placement of the brackets shortly thereafter.

I guess I'll lose 15-25 lbs on the "braces diet".

grev

DAY 8

#10 Post by grev »

i had the upper left turbo bite shaved off a little bit because it didn't feel balanced, i think it is more tolerable now

was able to eat fish and rice today, mashed potatoes and yogurt

also was able to find recipes online like meatloaf, pasta and tuna dishes that do not require a lot of chewing

Steph in Sac

#11 Post by Steph in Sac »

I ate soft stuff for awhile after getting my braces. I can eat anything now, but generally avoid biting into stuff (I use a fork for pizza, etc.). I lost 13 lbs in 7 weeks and am thrilled. No, it wasn't all due to braces, but losing a couple in the first week gave me the incentive to curb my eating and exercise. 7 weeks later, I am on a much healthier routine and I am glad my braces gave me that push. :D

grev

day 10 with braces

#12 Post by grev »

Can anyone tell me if they are eating normal with the turbo bites? I am not sure if it's just me or if anyone has been able to chew with these on the molars?

grev

week 3 with braces

#13 Post by grev »

i walked in today at the ortho office because one of the bite turbo fell out yesterday

asked him if it was necessary to replace he said we can wait, he shaved down the other bite turbo but there is still a bit remianing and said the worst thing that can happen really is i knock off one of the brackets and i'd have to come in

then he looked and decided he can change the maxillary (upper teeth) wires early to the next size, he considered jumping 2 sizes higher but said I might hate him after he puts them on (i guess it'll hurt)

so i still keep my appt 3 weeks from now and he may replace the lower wires

just as i was getting comfortable enough to eat he chages the wires but if this means shortening the treatment time, I'm all for it!

grev

week 5

#14 Post by grev »

Due to the open bite (because of the bite turbos), some of my teeth have been supraerupting. I emailed my ortho because my upper left premolars keeping going into premature contact but asked him if this was a natural consequence of the aligining phase.

He emailed back to say that yes, during the next 6 months all my teeth will be touching at different points. Also emailed him that I bought a nightguard but ended up not wearing them since they weren't comfortable either.

I'd say having braces have weakened me physically and I need to mentally remind myself that this is for a good cause.

Still not able to chew save for the last molar on the left side as most of my teeth are loose. I go back on May 19th for my next appointment.

This is a loooong journey.

jensceana73

#15 Post by jensceana73 »

I just wanted to say that I'm with ya on the not being able to chew issue...I've had braces now for about 5 weeks and still...cannot chew as my back teeth do not touch. I am so sick of pudding, yogurt, soup etc....I would give anything, and I do mean anything, for a big...juicy....steak. :-* I just keep telling myself it's all for the best....just think what your teeth will look like in the end. (and how skinny you'll be!!) :jump: Good luck...stay positive!
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA