Stargirl's Story & Pics - Braces OFF!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stargirl

Stargirl's Story & Pics - Braces OFF!

#1 Post by stargirl »

Hey everyone! I thought I'd share my braces story. I'm 17 and I live in Canada.

I've had my braces on for a little over a month, but prior to that, I had an RPE for 3 months, as well as reverse pull facemask headgear for 2 months. The expander is still in, acting as a retainer to keep the width of my arch, and I am continuing to wear the headgear. The puropse of all these crazy appliances is to correct an underbite and LOTS of crowding. The facemask is pulling my upper jaw forward supposedly... I'm not so sure if that's working. So far, things have been going well, although I would have to say that the worst part was the first week with the RPE! That thing is a torture device. Luckily, I barely even notice it now. I am scheduled to get it off on June 8th - let's hope that this is true! The braces aren't bad at all, they're a piece of cake compared to everything else!

Okay, it's time for pictures!

This was taken about a week after I got my braces on.

My first adjustment. I've got some crazy springs to make room for my rotated lower canines.

My lower teeth 3 weeks after banding.

Lower teeth now. I see movement, yay! Sorry, this picture is dark!

Upper teeth, 4 weeks in.

After first adjusment... not much movement, but a spring was attached to make room for the lateral.

Left side, 1 week after braces on. You can see the hooks for the headgear, they're attached to the RPE.

Left side, after 1st adjusment. I think my upper jaw has actually moved forward!

Right side 1 week after braces put on.

Right side now. There's the spring!

Overall, there hasn't been a ton of movement, but I'm optimistic. It's really exciting to see every little change going on in your mouth. Hopefully the next two years will go by fast.
Last edited by stargirl on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Ella

#2 Post by Ella »

Congrats on getting braced! 8) Before you know it your two yrs will be over (and no I am not just saying it), and you will see a TON of changes :) especially in the beggining (I know I did). Good luck with everything!!

stargirl

#3 Post by stargirl »

Thanks, Ella! I'm actually starting to like my braces! :)

2 weeks 'till RPE removal!!! I'm excited!

Vonster

#4 Post by Vonster »

Hi stargirl,

Wow! You have had a lot of equipment installed! :D You have a great attitude and I'm sure you will be rewarded with more and more movement. It seems like nothing happens at first and then everything takes off all at once (at least that's what happened with me). Congratulations and welcome!

Vonster

Damon 3's, top and bottom
April 5, 2005

Dodger(UK)

#5 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Congrats stargirl for getting braces - It will be good to see the progress you make especially with your upper right rotated lateral, and you lower canines. Good luck :) You'll soon have them lining up perfectly. :wink:

stargirl

#6 Post by stargirl »

Thanks, Vonster and Dodger!

I was wondering if anyone else has had springs as part of their treatment... If so, how long did you have to wear them in order to make enough space?

Caroline

#7 Post by Caroline »

I had a coil on the bottom installed on May 11. So far, movement has been good. I'll let you know what the ortho says after my next adjustment, June 8.
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

stargirl

#8 Post by stargirl »

My next adjustment is June 8th too! And I also had my coil springs installed on the 11th! We're like spring twins! ...

Wow, I'm lame. Good to hear that you've had some movement with them, Caroline. I haven't noticed much, but perhaps a little more room to floss between teeth.

RayNYC

good luck

#9 Post by RayNYC »

Hey stargirl, good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. It looks like you have a very complex case but you seem to be keeping yr chin up!

Ray

Caroline

#10 Post by Caroline »

[quote="stargirl"]My next adjustment is June 8th too! And I also had my coil springs installed on the 11th! We're like spring twins! ...

Hey Stargirl,

Well, I just came back from my adjustment and the coil is still in place :roll: Hopefully, my pesky lower left lateral will be tied next July 7. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, since I'm already half-way through my sentence! How are things on your end? Keep me posted!
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

stargirl

#11 Post by stargirl »

Hey!

Adjustment was not very eventful. springs are all still there, and...

THEY DIDN'T TAKE OUT MY EXPANDER!

grr... why do orthos make these promises? 2 more months of expander and headgear.

Pictures to come soon, I got hot pink ligs!

Next appt. is June 29th.

RayNYC

#12 Post by RayNYC »

Stargirl, who takes these beautiful hi-def pics for you? Do you take them yourself? What camera do you use?

stargirl

#13 Post by stargirl »

Ray - I take the pictures myself... on a Canon PowerShot A400 3.2 megapixel camera. I still haven't gotten the hang of taking bright enough shots, though.

Here are pictures, after my second adjustment on Wednesday. Same deal going on with the springs. I think they're stronger coils, though.

stargirl

#14 Post by stargirl »

I never knew the springs were actually doing something....

Before coils:

1.5 months with coil springs:

It occured to me while I was flossing this evening that there was a lot more space there, between my lower left lateral and canine... :)

*Jenni*

#15 Post by *Jenni* »

i wonder if i'll get a spring, i have a tooth thats almost behind another one...

i have the same camera as you :)
upper expander 14-04-05
lower metal braces 27-05-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05