BraceFace2o1o's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

#16 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

TrolleyDolly wrote:Hi Chrystal,

In answer to your question:
Did you have the x-rays and impressions taken at your first appointment?

Yes during the first consultation I did. At the second I had impressions taken and then went back a few days later for x-rays (their x-ray machine was broken otherwise I think I would've had it done there and then too.)

On both occasions my consultations were followed up a few days later by a full diagnosis and treatment plan in writing, along with information about financial payment plans etc. At no time during either consultation did I feel obligated to sign up there and then.

Less than a week now until your next consultation!! :jump: I so hope that this ortho can provide you with what you want.
Hi,

Thanks again for sharing your experience, it really does help!
When I had my first consultation he said my x-rays and impressions would be done once I decide to go ahead with treatment, where as I think I'd prefer to have those done first before agreeing to anything. I did feel slightly uncomfortable at my first consultation, but I guess I can just see it as some experience and know what to kind of expect next time. One of the things that I found a little odd, was how far the chair goes back! lol :lol:

Yes! only 6 days to go and I'm still wishing the days would hurry up! :oops:. Thanks and me too! Fingers crossed :D
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

cosmo

#17 Post by cosmo »

four more days to go :)

My Brace Story:
http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
1st Adjustment: 6/12/10-wire .014, top n bottom

follow my blog @ http://www.honneyinthesun.com

BraceFace2o1o

#18 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

cosmo wrote:four more days to go :)
Yay cosmo! :D .... Just checked my signature and see it's now 3! where are the days going? we're half way through the month already :shock:

Wow, people must think I am well silly for getting excited over a consultation :oops: I think it's just because I've wanted this ever since I was about 15 and I've managed to save up a little money towards it, where as before I couldn't, so I knew it either wasn't going to happen or would be a loooong way off.

SonyaM

#19 Post by SonyaM »

YAY! It won't be long now!

TrolleyDolly

#20 Post by TrolleyDolly »

1 sleep to go!!!

Good luck tmrw, hope it goes well... :D

Braced: 6th September 2010
Sentance: 20 months

BraceFace2o1o

#21 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

SonyaM wrote:YAY! It won't be long now!
TrolleyDolly wrote:1 sleep to go!!!
:jump:

I am looking forward to tomorrow, but I also feel a bit nervous :? (like the first time). I'm currently trying to think if I have missed anything off my list of questions!
TrolleyDolly wrote:Good luck tmrw, hope it goes well... :D
Thanks TrolleyDolly!

I shall update 'My Story' once I get back home after my consultation tomorrow.

mlholl19

#22 Post by mlholl19 »

I had x-rays taken at all 3 of my consultations, but I only had impressions taken after I had agreed to treatment with 1 of them. They might do things differently in the U.K but I would not automatically expect them to take impressions. I hope that helps. Good luck on your consultation! You'll be a metal-mouth before you know it :)

BraceFace2o1o

#23 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

mlholl19 wrote:I had x-rays taken at all 3 of my consultations, but I only had impressions taken after I had agreed to treatment with 1 of them. They might do things differently in the U.K but I would not automatically expect them to take impressions. I hope that helps. Good luck on your consultation!
Hi mholl19, thanks for posting your experience!
mlholl19 wrote:You'll be a metal-mouth before you know it :)
I really do hope so! :D

BraceFace2o1o

Update - Consultation number two...

#24 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I had my 2nd consultation with Orthodontist number 2 at 4:15pm today.
Firstly I'll cut it short... it went very well!

Now, this is the part where I type an essay about the consultation and me struggling to remember everything.

I was called into the room by the assistant where Mr Orthodontist was waiting. He is Hungarian, so it was nice to listen to his accent lol. I sat down and he asked me if I had filled out a patient form, I said no I hadn't… so one was requested from reception and he gave it to my mum to fill out (I always have my mum with me to appointments :oops:), for a minute I thought he got confused and thought I was under 18 lol! but soon realised that wasn't the case :lol:.

So he asked me why I was there and what my issues were. I explained that I have crooked teeth and sometimes have problems flossing certain teeth etc, and also that I dislike my teeth and smile. He then took a good look in my mouth and sat me back up and explained what was going on. He said I have an overbite (not a 100% one though) and that because the upper front teeth are currently crooked and tilt backwards slightly (to the inside of my mouth), once they are straight I will then have an overjet… When he said this I was a little shocked and worried thinking "oh God! am I going to end up with an overjet after treatment?" … he then continued saying that first he will align the upper teeth and later on put a lower brace on. He said he wouldn't be fitting my lower brace at the same time as my upper because of my overbite and upper teeth hitting the lower brackets. He then said because of how my upper front teeth are, once they are straightened I will have an overjet (he isn't sure by how much obviously until we are at that stage) and he said after the teeth are aligned he will use elastics and possibly headgear to correct the overjet (I found it funny when he was really explaining about elastics and headgear… giving me a look as if to say "are you sure you really want to wear these, I have to know you will be compliant!" lol). I am cool with whatever I have to do, be it elastics and headgear, I am up for it!
Oh and another big plus is he said NO to extractions, and that none are needed. He went on to say that he doesn't agree with this method as it can change the face shape and not for the better – I was well chuffed when he said this and so happy he didn't believe in pulling out healthy teeth just to straighten up crooked teeth :D.

He recommended I go with the metal braces (that have rubber ligatures) rather than the clear as he says they tend to break. I liked the fact he was honest about this, because the clear brackets are more expensive, so when he said this, I felt comfortable he wasn't a money grabbing Ortho unlike the first Ortho I saw! I said "yep, I am cool with metal"" and he seemed chuffed.

He said my teeth are in "pristine condition and gum health is fine" which kinda gave me a big head as I always doubt my teeths condition (and gums), so that was a result.

He then took photos of my teeth, photos of my profile and did impressions. He also measured up the sizes for molar bands. He said x-rays will be at the next appointment. So because of that I mentioned that I already had 3 wisdom teeth removed and one is left (under the gum still), he said it was good that 3 were already gone but he suggested I get the 4th removed too. I asked him "would I need to get the last wisdom tooth removed before or during braces?" he said that it might be better for the oral surgeon to remove it before the braces, mainly because the brackets get caught on their gloves lol :lol:.

Just before I left his room, he mentioned my current face/chin/lip shape and said they will change too, for the better, and I certainly liked the sound of that!

He didn't say a price or anything while I was there, which I am cool with as he is going to do all the paper work etc first, then send me a letter in the next 2 weeks stating treatment plan and all other info. If I am happy with everything once I receive the paper work he said I can pretty much come in asap for the fitting, or if I still have questions I can have a 2nd part of the consultation after I receive the letter to ask any questions I have and to have an explanation of diagnosis/treatment plan in person.

I am very pleased and sooo glad this consultation went well... finally, something goes my way! I came out feeling very satisfied, unlike when I left my first consultation (I remember feeling really down and fed up).

So right now, I am going to wait to receive the letter in the post (he said I might receive it late this week or early next week, but usually it takes 10 working days)… give it a read through and if I have anymore questions either ring up (the receptionist said to me before I left that if I had any questions after reading the letter I could either ring up to book another appointment to ask the questions or she'd be happy to answer them over the phone) and ask/make an appointment, and if I am totally happy with everything then I guess I will be booking my fitting appointment!

I'm honestly so chuffed it went well. This Orthodontist seems really kind and comes across as he loves his job and is eager to help, he doesn't give me the impression he tries to 'sell' it to you and isn't trying to convince you to pay for the highest priced brackets.

Soooo I might not just need a brace, I could need headgear too! I certainly wasn't expecting that... but not in a bad way, I don't mind. What has to be done has to be done.

That's it, for now...

dredgos

#25 Post by dredgos »

Glad to hear that it went really well!

Your treatment sounds an awful lot like what my ortho had said to me about starting with uppers to straighten them and then putting lowers on after (although no mention of headgear for me). It is nice when your consultation goes well and the ortho explains things clearly as it really clears out any doubts you might have had.

Just got to hope that he sends you a good price and you can start the journey towards a perfect smile! :D

BraceFace2o1o

#26 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

dredgos wrote:Glad to hear that it went really well!

Your treatment sounds an awful lot like what my ortho had said to me about starting with uppers to straighten them and then putting lowers on after (although no mention of headgear for me). It is nice when your consultation goes well and the ortho explains things clearly as it really clears out any doubts you might have had.
Hi dredgos and thanks!

I have had a think about the Orthodontist talking about headgear and this morning after waking up, tthough it was a little 'odd' as I've been Googling it and realise it's used more for children (jaws haven't 'set'), it is sometimes used in adults, but more for when there have been extractions - which I wont be having, so I'm now a little confused. But he did say it was a possibility and just wanted to show me the possible 'devices' he might use on me, so I am glad he prewarned me. He did say that elastics will definitely be used though.

He also mentioned surgery, but only once! He said it was another option, then continued talking about the brace and elastics. He just said he would align the upper teeth first, then see where to go from there about the overjet I will then have.

I'm wondering if I was a candidate for surgery if I'd then automatically be a candidate for a brace on the NHS too? Not that I want that. If I needed surgery, I'd have the surgery but stick to paying privately for my brace! It's just he didn't seem so keen when he mentioned surgery and quickly changed the subject back to the brace and elastics - I wonder if that's because he was worried he'd lose my custom because I would go NHS for the brace too lol :?

I'm probably going to phone them up in the next few days to book that 2nd half of the consultation, because since yesterday alot of questions have come into my mind that weren't there yesterday at the appointment.
dredgos wrote:Just got to hope that he sends you a good price and you can start the journey towards a perfect smile! :D
That would be awesome! :D. Fingers crossed hey :lol:

farmboy

#27 Post by farmboy »

Chrystal,

I've enjoyed reading your story. I went to several orthodontists before choosing my current one. I knew right away I would 'click' with my new doctor. It's a good feeling. I'm happy you've found someone you like.

As far as headgear, yes, it is used more often on children than on adults. I wore one for about a year to shift my overjet before starting on my current treatment.

At the time I was my orthodontist's only adult patient in headgear, mainly, the doctor said, because I was the only one willing to wear one.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jay04

#28 Post by Jay04 »

Hey Chrystal,

Glad to hear your consultation went well. Finding a good ortho makes all the difference. Hopefully you'll get a good price when he sends you that letter. It's great that you don't have to have extractions. I haven't seen any changes in the shape in my face since I had mine, but I've actually had two people (including my mum) tell me my face looks thinner. I don't know whether thats a good or bad thing as my face is thin anyway :?

I've got an appointment with my ortho tomorrow. I'm kinda dreading it as the thicker wire they put in last time killed, and I was living off Ibuprofen for days. It's always worth it to see the movement though. Hopefully you'll soon be braced and we can all moan about our new drug habits together :lol:
Braces Removed - 14th July, 11
My Braces Story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35442

BraceFace2o1o

#29 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

farmboy wrote:Chrystal,

I've enjoyed reading your story. I went to several orthodontists before choosing my current one. I knew right away I would 'click' with my new doctor. It's a good feeling. I'm happy you've found someone you like.
Hi farmboy - Thank you for stopping by! I am glad you enjoyed my story so far, sorry if I have 'gone on' quite a bit though! :oops:

It certainly is a good feeling. The difference between the Orthodontist I saw on Monday and the one in August was quite a difference!

farmboy wrote:As far as headgear, yes, it is used more often on children than on adults. I wore one for about a year to shift my overjet before starting on my current treatment.
Oh so you have worn headgear as an adult! (yay, I managed to find someone! :D). Did it do the job the Ortho wanted it to do? I hope so, because that's the reason I will be using headgear (if it goes ahead), to shift the overjet that will come after straighting my upper front teeth.
farmboy wrote:At the time I was my orthodontist's only adult patient in headgear, mainly, the doctor said, because I was the only one willing to wear one.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
:lol: that sounds about right! I've been searching for headgear videos on YouTube (yeah, I sound weird now!... I am just curious) and alot of the comments are "omg I have to have headgear and I don't want to" etc etc, most of those I assume are youngsters though. I really don't have an issue with wearing headgear if I have to. Maybe I will be the only patient to wear it for the Ortho, like you! :-9
Jay04 wrote:Hey Chrystal,

Glad to hear your consultation went well. Finding a good ortho makes all the difference. Hopefully you'll get a good price when he sends you that letter. It's great that you don't have to have extractions. I haven't seen any changes in the shape in my face since I had mine, but I've actually had two people (including my mum) tell me my face looks thinner. I don't know whether thats a good or bad thing as my face is thin anyway :?

I've got an appointment with my ortho tomorrow. I'm kinda dreading it as the thicker wire they put in last time killed, and I was living off Ibuprofen for days. It's always worth it to see the movement though. Hopefully you'll soon be braced and we can all moan about our new drug habits together :lol:
Hi Jay,

I am really glad I went ahead and had the consultation with another Ortho. I would have another with someone else, but I don't know of any other Orthos local to me (I've done all the searches, the nearest are at least 30+ miles from me), which is a bummer because my car is probably going to have to go in the next few months - so I wont have transport.

I was more concerned about extractions because I didn't like the thought of removing 2-4 healthy teeth :(. The Orthodontist said in some cases extractions can be ok, but when he had a look at my teeth and facial structure he said I wouldn't like the way my chin/lips would look if I had extractions so he said he refuse to take any of mine out. Maybe that will change during treatment, because he keeps saying I will end up with an overjet! and I am not quite sure how far that can be pulled back without extractions. Oh, it makes your face look thinner? I need some of that though! :lol:

I guess I have all that to experience. It's kinda funny (not in a bad way) reading people saying braces cause pain/discomfort, because deep down I haven't really a clue what it actually feels like. I am not the best and tolerating pain, so yes, I think we will be moaning about our drug habits! :lol:

I am eagerly awaiting my 'letter' and becoming impatient, tut tut! :twisted:

TrolleyDolly

#30 Post by TrolleyDolly »

Just back from my trip and thought I'd catch up with what had happened on Monday. Yay!! Sounds like it went well and a totally different experience to the first one. I'm so pleased for you. Fingers crossed the financial details are more realistic than the last one. I bet you're now obsessed with the post every day!! I know I would be! Can't wait to here the outcome....

Braced: 6th September 2010
Sentance: 20 months