20 Year Old College Student Finally BRACED!!!!!!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MyTimeToShine

20 Year Old College Student Finally BRACED!!!!!!!

#1 Post by MyTimeToShine »

[COMING SOON]

SEE STORY BELOW-7/13/05
Last edited by MyTimeToShine on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Metal Upper and Lower Braces: 7/20/05
Estimated Treatment Time: 12-18 months

MyTimeToShine

#2 Post by MyTimeToShine »

July 20, 2005 is the date that I will join the masses (on this forum anyway) and officially have a metal mouth. I've waited forever and a day for this day to come, and now it is a week away.

Like many on the forum I've wanted braces for quite some time, but the money just wasn't there for such an expense, so it just kept getting put off. Now I've just transferred from an out-state private school and into an in-state public university, my job for the summer pays great and my dad is in the position to assist me with the monthly payments, so it is officially a go.

I had originally visisted my current ortho for a consultation back in October 2003, but of course money talks and I had to walk. 20 months later on June 23, 2005 I had an appointment for another consulation with my ortho, he of course told me what I already knew--that my teeth are crowded, slightly buck w/a small gap. I had a "yeah yeah yeah I already know" type of attitude (I was soo anxious) and after he knew we were serious we began to talk $$$$. The total came out to $3480, $150 more each if I decide to get upper and/or lower ceramics.

My appointment for records, spacing, x-rays etc. is on Monday, July 18, and I will officially have braces on Wednesday, July 20. I'm excited and nervous. I have wanted braces for quite some time. My friends know me to be the jokester, the reliable one, the "confident" one etc. I love them all dearly, but they rarely see the side of me that is self-conscious and depressed at times. Everyone is always telling me to smile in my pics...and I say I do...the "lips closed tightly together" smile lol :lol: . I AM SMILING!!!!! I'm doing this to get a new outlook on life. I want to be able to talk to people and make eye contact, not avoid them because I think they're looking at my teeth and passing judgment, I want to be able to smile and be uninhibited and not worry what people think. I was reading on the archwired page to use this as your transformation time. That was music to my ears because that is what I intend to do...I know its not going to be a walk in the park, but I'm ready. My estimated treatment time is 12-18 months...I'll be able to walk in my commencement ceremony in May 2007 with confidence and pride, and I will be smiling in all my pics lol. After this process is over I want to visit a professional photographer and create a portfolio and actually send it out to various agencies as a hobby (and to help through b-school), go on casting calls just for the hell of it. And maybe meet the man of my dreams and hear him say "You have a gorgeous smile :D ." Who knows...this is just the start of the many opportunities I see coming my way. In order to have something you must first claim it...and that's exactly what I'm doing. Claiming my happiness, and not looking back or regretting the past. They say good things come to those who wait, and I would always tell myself that but I never felt like the good thing came until now (and 12-18 months from now ). But you know what....I'm on my journey to freedom and happiness. This is officially....

MyTimeToShine :rose:

[BEFORE AND AFTER PICS COMING SOON]

MyTimeToShine

#3 Post by MyTimeToShine »

Wow you guys did not lie about those spacers!!!
My teeth are throbbing in that area.

Nothing 2 500 mg Tylenol can't cure :lol: .

My appointment for records yesterday wasn't too bad. They just took my molds, and I tried my hardest not to salivate so I wouldn't taste it, and I succeeded!! Then we took pics, x-rays, and then came those damned spacers. For one side she had to use a smaller spacer than the other because it was so tight and probably because she saw the look on my face while she was trying to FORCE the larger one between my teeth. I've been experiencing soreness and aching. I tried eating french fries after because I was starving, which was a bit of a challenge. Oh well I had my "last supper" Sunday night anyway. Tomorrow is the big day, so wish me luck!!!

loxodonta

#4 Post by loxodonta »

I just wanted to wish you good luck when you get your braces. I am a 19 year old college student who is planning to get braces soon. My 1st appointment is August 4. So, you'll have a bit of a head start, but we'll be going through this about the same time. Good luck and I hope everything doesn't hurt too bad!

radioqueen

#5 Post by radioqueen »

I loved your post. With an attitude like that you will go far, and with your shiny new teeth -- even farther!

I have had my bottom braces on for about 4 weeks now, with an adjustment at 3 weeks and I am slowly getting used to them.

Just remember, be patient. At the beginning you will probably experience pain or discomfort for the first few days up to a week or so, but with each pain just realize that your teeth are getting that much closer to perfection!

Good luck to you!
No braces - retainer

MyTimeToShine

#6 Post by MyTimeToShine »

Thanks for the luck loxodonta and radioqueen...I'll need it!!

Today is the big day!! I can't wait for these spacers to come out, and the metal to go on lol. I'll keep you guys posted!!!!!

MyTimeToShine

#7 Post by MyTimeToShine »

As of yesterday my smile now looks like :tingrin:

The removal of the spacers and the putting on the bands was PURE HELL for me. Everytime she asked me to bite down I couldn't so the ortho had to apply pressure for the bands to go on. My space was still pretty tight so I experienced a lot of pain from that. Tears literally rolled down my face. She was a bit insensitive at first, but when she saw that I was really in pain she eased up on me. After that it wasn't so bad, and about an hour or so later I was fully braced. I chose clear elastics, maybe later on I will get some color, but for now I am satisfied. My first adjustment is on August 19th, so we'll see how that goes. I can feel the pressure now, but its tolerable, I'll take 2 Tylenol in a bit. Stay tuned lol.

CelestialVoices

#8 Post by CelestialVoices »

Congrats on starting your journey! I'll be getting braces eventually. I have to get spacers/bands/an expander first. Keep us updated :)