I get my braces tomorrow

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

elissasmilz

I get my braces tomorrow

#1 Post by elissasmilz »

hello, everyone! My name is Elissa. I am 27 and will be getting braces tomorrow for the first time. I have some slight overcrowding and an overjet. I have decided to get metal brackets top and bottom. I will also need to wear elastics which hopefully will correct my overjet, otherwise my ortho said I may need to wear headgear, yikes!

I just found this site todya. It seems like it is going to be a great resource during my treatment which is expected to be about 2 years. I wish I had found this site months ago when I was going through my ortho screeing and decision making process.

Tomorrow I will be getting the top and bottom brackets as well as spacers for the molar bands. I am very excited and even more nervous about finally doing this! Any tips or comfort you can give me will be appreciated!!!

Wish me luck

Doug

#2 Post by Doug »

Hi, welcome and congratulations on getting the process started.
The initial discomfort and weirdness will pass soon.

Good luck to you!

elissasmilz

#3 Post by elissasmilz »

Well, I just got home from the ortho. All I can say is "Whoa!"

My mouth feels so full and scratchy. I feel like my lips are sticking out like a chimp. My teeth are not sore at all but a can feel a lot of pressure and based on others' posts that I have read, I should feel it a lot more later on.

I also got spacers put in the back, I will have to get my bands put on next week. They are a little uncomfortable too. The whole process took about 90 minutes.

The process has begun.

Jean

Congratulations, Elissa.

#4 Post by Jean »

Speaking as an old veteran of 32 hours in braces myself and 1 previous post, may I welcome you to the boards. :D

I got only the lower arch done yesterday (may have the upper done further down the road, depending on how the "lower" experience goes) and several times I have thought how I'm glad it's only on the bottom for now. You've got the whole thing in yours. It's quite a shock to feel this intrusion inside your mouth, isn't it? "Full and scratchy" puts it well.
I feel like my lips are sticking out like a chimp.
Bwahahaha!

We might as well have some fun with this.

Jean
Metal braces on lower arch.
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

elissasmilz

#5 Post by elissasmilz »

Good luck with your treatment Jean. It seems like it has been a busy week for orthodontic installations. It is a lot to get used to, but other than the pain I am experiencing today, I am already starting to get used to the hardware in my mouth.