Ceramic vs metal?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KJM

Ceramic vs metal?

#1 Post by KJM »

Hi everyone, I am new and I am due to get my braces on in two weeks, and I need to make up my mind about ceramic braces or metal ones. I know this subject is beaten to death here, but HELP! I am a 34 yo stay at home Mom- so there isnt any concern about looking more professional for work.
However, I am a bit timid about peoples reactions. ( for example, my husband is a professional and we have some big conferences that we have to attend- I do not want to look like some sort of little kid if you kwim?)
I have read several posts about this topic, and do know most of the pro's and con's of metal/ceramic.
I was planning on ceramic on top until finding this site-and now I am not sure. A) I dont like the idea of the staining. B) I know that for the first little bit I will have "pumpkin face" with the brackets and wires all askew. Do you think that it looks worse that the wire is all crooked?( b/c you cant see the brackets) Or do you think that they look equally as bad? And how long does that phase last?
Can I get some input from both sides ( what you like/dislike, if you could do it agian would you choose the same thing?) Thanks!
Kim
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Metal Mouth Guy

#2 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Like you said (and is true), the subject has been beaten to death....

I suggest you flip a coin - heads it's metal, tails it's ceramic. Because that's about the only thing that hasn't been publically done (though maybe it has because I no longer read every post).

Regret is such a rare sentiment among the adults that post here that I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever decision you make. But it's yours to make, not ours.

So make it.

MMG

jaws

#3 Post by jaws »

Yes, this subject has been beaten to death--try using the forum's search tool and you will find a bunch of threads about this! :D Good luck!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

Thanks both of you for the responses.
I did read all the threads on this topic I could find but was looking for some other answers to help me.
~*~ Kim ~*~

MyTimeToShine

#5 Post by MyTimeToShine »

I've been trying to decide what to do as well. I go for my braces tomorrow and I am leaning more towards just getting full metal, only because people will eventually notice that you have braces anyway and I can save some money.

But in your case why not go for ceramic on top and metal on the bottom since your still so undecided. Ultimately its your choice, you're the one who has to wear them, go with what you're most comfortable with.
Metal Upper and Lower Braces: 7/20/05
Estimated Treatment Time: 12-18 months

Metal Mouth Guy

#6 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

KJM wrote:Thanks both of you for the responses.
I did read all the threads on this topic I could find but was looking for some other answers to help me.
Then perhaps you should ask more specific questions...

But the basic problem with your question is that a very small minority of people have had both ceramic and metal braces (right, Fryelight?). And even if they have had both types, the particular appliances they have had may not be what your doctor uses. So the only answers you will get are "opinion". Nothing more.

But for data points, I chose metal because I just didn't care what others thought. I was offered either at the same cost. I'd read all the posts here, looked at real dental data and talked to some of my wife's coworkers (sidebar - my wife is a professor/researcher at the local dental university. Among her students are aspiring orthodontists). The underlying opinion seems to be that whatever makes the patient happiest ensures the highes level of compliance. Compliance leads to successful treatment. My tech (not the ortho) preferred working with metal. I'd pretty much chosen that route, but her preference sealed the deal.

I've not regretted going with metal brackets. But then I don't have the vanity issues that some people seem to suffer from. And before someone says, "you must be vane or you wouldn't have gotten braces"... My choice was braces or dentures in the way too close future. I chose braces.

My apologies to those who've read all this before....

MMG

KJM

#7 Post by KJM »

Well I actually did ask a couple specific questions, but thats ok. I have actually made up my mind on this and have choosen metal.
I would rather have faster treatment, and the truth is I dont want to worry about what I eat (staining my ligs).

I guess it was my own worries about "what will everyone think" and the thought of drawing attention to my mouth that had me mainly stressed. I think that reading all the info and getting some input helped.
Thanks.
~*~ Kim ~*~