Jenn B's adventure in braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenn B

Jenn B's adventure in braces

#1 Post by Jenn B »

Well, I decided I may as well add my story here! I had a previous post about my worry regarding extractions and a little bit of my journey is in there! Here's my complete story!

I always had crooked bottom teeth and an overbite. Actually, my whole mouth seems to be a mess! I had a tooth that was tucked behind one of my front teeth as well as I had a tooth on the bottom that never quite fit in to the line and grew below the rest of my bottom teeth. My parent's didn't have a lot of money but did take me to an orthodontist once when I was 10. After hearing the cost they decided they couldn't do it (I am one of 6 children). So, I grew up with me teeth like this. I was always able to hide my bottom teeth quite well when I was speaking and smiling....I knew the right way to smile so that I didn't show the bad side of my teeth in pictures (am I the only one that obsessed with that...panicking when someone took out a camera to make sure you were on the correct side not show how bad your teeth were?!?!). I knew I always would get my teeth fixed when I got older and could afford it on my own.

So here I am...29 years old and in braces. I have been in them for exactly 1 month today. I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. My journey took get braces wasn't a fun one. I first had to get 4 bicuspids extracted. That was terrible. I had to go 2 weeks with this gappy smile and no braces to cover them! I am definitely less self conscious about the gaps now but I still catch people looking at them when I laugh.

I have to say, after seeing everyone's progress pictures I was hoping to see more movement at the 4 week mark. I notice a difference when I am flossing. My mouth was so overcrowded that it took a lot for me to get floss between my teeth...now it seems to glide a lot easier! So any progress is progress, right? :)

TinkB

Re: Jenn B's adventure in braces

#2 Post by TinkB »

Keep taking pictures and go through them on the computer in order. I bet you have some progress. Especially if you are having a better time of flossing.

When is your 1st adjustment?

Don't worry about what others think. I bet they don't even notice your gaps.

I still cover my mouth with my hand when I smile big or laugh. I feel like everyone is judging me right now. It's probably silly but I hated my smile before the braces too. I feel like my all metal braces make everything more noticeable.

Good luck!!! :heart:
Metal brackets & 4 bands on May 12, 2011
4 Premolars Extracted on May 20, 2011
Fully braced on May 25, 2011
My sentence - 24 to 30 months

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39348

Jenn B

#3 Post by Jenn B »

My 1st adjustment isn't until August 22nd!! 12 weeks from the time I got my braces onm :( Seems so far away and a long time to be in the 1st wire.

I've really noticed I am constantly clenching my teeth now too. I called my ortho and he said its normal. That my jaw muscles are trying to find their new comfort spots.

Mareesey

#4 Post by Mareesey »

I notice people staring at my braces, I know it's just that they think I look superstar sexy with my ceramic uppers :wink: . If anything to check your progress you can look at a photo from just before you got them or right after you got them and compare. It won't be as effective as the slideshow like Tink said but you could at least see where they are at this point. My first adjustment will be August 30 and I thought 8 weeks was waiting it out.

Jenn B

#5 Post by Jenn B »

So just shy of 12 weeks and I had my first adjustment today! It feels a little tighter and it's a little uncomfortable but nothing too bad so far. My ortho said my teeth are coming along nicely...one tooth that was growing below my front bottom teeth has almost completely moved into my extraction site! I'm happy about that! Next adjustment is October 17th!

secretsmile

#6 Post by secretsmile »

Hi Jenn! I remember you from the extractions thread... Think we had them the same week. Great to see your story and hear it's going well :D Yay for one of your teeth moving into the extraction site.
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420

Jenn B

#7 Post by Jenn B »

Thanks secretsmile! I keep following your progress and yes we were extracted around the same time! The extraction sites are slowly (very slowly) closing!

secretsmile

#8 Post by secretsmile »

It's great to follow your progress too. On top, as I have an overbite the gaps still seem huge as the ortho is very, very slowly pulling the teeth back. Right now I have 4 gaps on top as he's pulling the canines back first. My bottom ones are doing good though almost half closed... But they were always less visible as the bottoms were 2nd premolars and smaller teeth, not first premolars like on top.
Extractions (4 bicuspids) : 05/17/11
Braced (all but top molars) : 05/24/11
Top 1st Molars bracketed: 05/31/11
Forsus (Braces Springs): 10/18/11

My blog: http://marie-secretsmile.blogspot.com/

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=39420