OK--This was not the plan!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klobird

Re: OK--This was not the plan!

#166 Post by klobird »

4 months today!!! :dance: It is going by so fast! And the more time that goes by, the more braces just become the norm.
And all the cleaning and special eating too--just the norm now. The adjustment to braces is really not that bad, and I can finally understand how kids can do it....

Beauty is Pain

#167 Post by Beauty is Pain »

hey klobird!! 4 MONTHS!! Woohoo!! :) Getting braces on seems like yesterday - wow, the time has passed quickly :)

klobird

#168 Post by klobird »

18 weeks down, 86 weeks to go.....

I found out why, I think, the latex (rubber) elastics were so dry and irritating. Rubber asborbs water! The latex free have been so much better.

My overjet is definitely coming in, my teeth are definitely moving. It feels weird and looks weird. A week from Monday is my
LONG appt. with the ortho--x-rays, pics, repositioning, etc. The ortho said it would be long anyway...I'm going to have a gigantic McDonald's hamburger the night before, and then it will be pudding and mashed potatoes etc etc etc...

Now that I see movemnet, I am more willing to have the Forsus appliance. I hear it works wonders with an overjet and now I am "hungry" for more movement! But I'm glad it's not this next appt.....

Eve43

#169 Post by Eve43 »

Good luck with your appointment, klobird! Scheduled for bracing tuesday...I'm still on the fence between invisalign and damons. I think invisalign, overall, are more comfortable...from what I hear. I'm a big chicken ;). One year for either treatment. :Questions:

klobird

#170 Post by klobird »

Thanks Eve,

The Damon Q that I have are VERY comfortable because they are so darn small. They are smooth too. From the moment they were put on, the brackets themselves have never bothered me at all. Like I have said a million times--it's the poking archwire, and the elastics that have been my enemies. The pokeys are the worst, but even those can be remedied with a little wax. Most of the time, I don't even notice the elastics anymore.

The longer I have these on, the more it just seems normal. It's weird. After I adjusted to just having something in my mouth, it's just not an issue anymore. And having them for 2yrs is not so daunting now.

My next adjustment on Sept. 12 will be only my 2nd adjustment. Nothing at all bothered me all that much until my 1st adjustment back in July. :shock: :shock: :shock: That was not cool...YEOOOWWWW. So, I'm a little worried about this next one. But it will mean more change, and that makes it all worth it.
Last edited by klobird on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

klobird

#171 Post by klobird »

Oh and Eve!! Good luck with the new braces!!! Keep us informed!! You're on your way!!

klobird

#172 Post by klobird »

I was sooooo thirsty today---like unbearable--and nothing would quench it. So there I was a work wondering what a wet washcloth hanging out of my brace face would look like...pretty cute don't you think?....

Eve43

#173 Post by Eve43 »

Hi Klo!

Just thought I'd let you know I had impressions made on Tuesday for the Invisalign. They should arrive in about a month. In the mean time, I've ordered all of the necessary cleaning supplies and Dentakit so that I'll be ready to go once they arrive. Wish me luck! :HugeGrin:

klobird

#174 Post by klobird »

Hey Eve!!! Yep, you're on the road!!! I have looked at my pre-list of things to buy before I got braces (in the beginning of this blog) and I am so glad I started my journey with every one of them on hand!

Can't wait to hear more!

I have my 2nd adjustment, after 4 months, on Monday....the ortho said it was going to be a loooonnnngggg appt.
How fun for me.... :shock:

Eve43

#175 Post by Eve43 »

Good luck with your appointment! Maybe take some type of pain reliever prior and have a stiff drink after! LOL...let me know how it goes!

And just remember...it's all worth the end result...beautiful teeth and a great bite!

:-**

klobird

#176 Post by klobird »

19 weeks down--85 weeks to go....

I am getting sooooo used to braces, and don't mind them at all now.....in fact, if he said they were coming off today (due to a miracle), I don't know if I would mentally be ready....weird, really weird....I guess I gotta say I kinda like them.

Maybe I just like weird attention :crazy: Or maybe I just feel like I'm hiding behind them....or maybe I just like the positive comments I get....hmmmmm.

Adjustment Monday---my love affair will be interrupted for a few days.... :cry:

klobird

#177 Post by klobird »

To the families of 9/11--We will NEVER forget--May you receive comfort from God, friends, and family today. We are so very sorry... :rose: :rose: :rose:

klobird

#178 Post by klobird »

:-* :-* :-*

I am sooooo happy!!! I just got back from the ortho (my 2nd adjustment)...He told me that my bucky beavers went from 10mm (my regular dentist was way off on the measurement) to 4mm!!!! And the pictures---OMG!!! I can't believe the difference. He said this much movement is not normal in most adults my age....they hardly had to do anything! They repositioned one bracket on the top and I went from a 14/25 top wire to a heavier 18/25 wire on the top. The wire tie is gone. The elastics are the same-except they are clear, and way more inconspicuous....AND THE BEST PART OF ALL---
he said not to hold him to it---but, drum roll..... :jump: I most probably won't need to have the Forsus appliance after all!!!
I will cross my fingers, but just knowing it's a possibility that I won't need the appliance is wonderful...

So, next time I will get the finishing wires on top and bottom (it's weird to me that you get finishing wires when you are only 6 months in), and I will have power chains top and bottom. She got the stuff ready to put them on the bottom today, and the ortho said to wait til next time. And next time I will get heavier elastics...can't think of anything else...

Annnnddddd---they said it all boils down to COMPLIANCE--wearing my elastics constantly...

Sooo, the ortho pics will be on my login at their site in a few days, and I will post old compared to new. I was :huh:
shocked at the difference!!! Ok, so my teeth are old teeth--they are not white and pearly, like a lot of people's on this website...But I am still happy---oh ya, in the first set of pics, I had not gotten the silver fillings changed to white yet, so that's a double eeewwww. I have used white strips on my teeth a few times before braces, and they look great for a while.
So, I will do some kind of whitening thing when I am done with braces.

At any rate--I am thrilled today--oh ya, no pain yet at all--it doesn't even feel like anything new happened, but it does take a few hours for it to kick in..we'll see. :D :D :D

Beauty is Pain

#179 Post by Beauty is Pain »

Hey klobird!
Wow, congrats on the improvements!!! :) hehe 'finishing wire' - does that mean your treatment time will be shortened??!! :P How are your teeth feeling? Any soreness at all?? :)

klobird

#180 Post by klobird »

Hey Bip!

3-1/2 hrs since appt and I have zero pain. I just had lunch--no problems. It feels really like nothing new was done--except it's more comfortable because some back pokeys are gone with the new wire.

Ya, no I don't think it matters that the finishing wires are going on at 6 months along. I mean how tight can they go?
I still think that I'm in for the whole ride, from what I've been reading on this website. But wow, the ortho was really impressed. I really hope that the changes for the better continue like this.

The thing is--having braces is like nothing anymore. I like blogging about them--I still think about them constantly--but it's just the connection with other braced adults that I really appreciate. As far as braces--if they keep working, I don't care how long it will take, and again on that--I still think it's fun to count the time with the ticker. Time is going waaaayyyy
too fast--I'm too old for it to be going this fast!!!