Jenni's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*Jenni*

Jenni's story

#1 Post by *Jenni* »

hey everyone :)

just though i'd share my story too...

I'm 20 yrs old, from Sydney, Australia.

i've got an expander on top, which i've had for 6 weeks, and lower braces, which i've had for 5 days, no pics atm, but i'll add some later.

the first week i had my expander on (esp the first few days of that week), was horrible. i work on the checkouts at woolworths (a supermarket) and i had a terrible lisp "i shounded like shtans shishter for shoush park" :( and everyone laughed at how i was talking. but i'm really good at talking now :D i can even say $66.60 without sounding too retarded.

i've had a fun time showing off my braces to all my regular customers, its really quite a novelty.

its funny now i've got braces i cant even feel my expander anymore!
i've got these little stabby bits on the inside of my molar bands that cut my tongue (or would if i didnt attack them with wax) my boyfriend said he didnt have them on his braces, i was wondering if anyone else has them, or knows if they serve a purpose other than to attack me?

i'm most likely getting top braces in about 6 weeks and hopefully i'll get my expander off then too :D

keep you updated :)

joplin

#2 Post by joplin »

Welcome, Jenni! It's always nice to hear from other adults who have been dealing with an expander. I had mine in for 4 months, so if you're getting rid of yours that soon, lucky you! There is one really good thing about an expander: They say braces feel like no big thing if you've worn an expander first!
Good luck with your treatment and keep up the positive attitude I can pick from your post :)
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Dodger(UK)

Re: Jenni's story

#3 Post by Dodger(UK) »

*Jenni* wrote: i can even say $66.60 without sounding too retarded.
Yes, but would $66.66 prove that one step to far?? lol - Sorry about that, hope you get the results you rightly expect from having braces, and welcome to da club. :wink:

*Jenni*

#4 Post by *Jenni* »

photo's!

my expander:

my braces after 5 days:

Last edited by *Jenni* on Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upper expander 14-04-05
lower metal braces 27-05-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

Bracefacegirl

I KNO HOW U FEEL

#5 Post by Bracefacegirl »

I HAD A EXPANDER TOO AND IT DOES GIVE YOU A LISP SORT OF..IM GETTING MY BRACES IN ABOUT A WEEK.EVERYONE AT SCHOOL MADE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I COULDNT SAY SCIENCE OR SOCIAL STUDIES THEY WOULD SAY WHAT CLASS DO YOU HAVE 3RD PERIOD AND I WOULD SAY SHOSHIAL SHUDIES AND THEY WOUD SAY WHAT ABOUT 7TH PERIOD AND AS HARD AS I TRIED TO MAKE IT SOUND NORMAL IT ALWAYS CAME OUT THE WRONG WAY AND THEN ID SAY SHIENSH

*Jenni*

#6 Post by *Jenni* »

yeah, every time i said "next please" at work it'd be like "neshed pleash" and half my work mates world start laughing.
but i can talk heaps good now.
no-one even notices :D
upper expander 14-04-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

*Jenni*

#7 Post by *Jenni* »

yipeeeee!!!
my ortho just called to see if i wanted metals or ceramics on top (i went with ceramics)
and he said i might be able to get my top braces on next week!!! and most importantly get my expander off :D :D :D
that means i'll have had it on for only 2 months!
and i'll get it off before i start my new job (in a call centre) on the 6th July.
and he's going to grind my cleats off too :D :D :D
sooo exciting *dances*
upper expander 14-04-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

stargirl

#8 Post by stargirl »

Wow, you're so lucky! 2 months with an expander!!

I've had mine in for 6 months... and one more to go! Doesn't yours need to stay in for retention?

Good luck with the top braces! :D

*Jenni*

#9 Post by *Jenni* »

i dont know???
i didnt ask :?
maybe it does... i'm used to it now anyway.

my top jaw is a lot wider than my bottom jaw now, so i am hoping that the braces will hold my jaw out enough.

one thing i noticed is my expander seems to be different to everyone elses...
i know its not officially approved for use in Australia yet :o
but it seems better than most of the ones i've seen, its not sharp and didn't give my tongue much trouble :)

my problem there was that i couldnt close my molars properly, so started resting my tongue between my teeth - ow :( that hurt a lot. but once i figured out what i was doing, i stopped it.
upper expander 14-04-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

stargirl

#10 Post by stargirl »

Yes, your expander looks like it's a lot more comfortable than mine! Seems like it would be less hard on your tongue.
My top jaw almost seems too wide now... I wonder if the braces will fix that when the RPE is removed...

*Jenni*

#11 Post by *Jenni* »

mine feels like its too wide also...

i didn't get my expander off... 2-3 months till i do :(
when Louis (my ortho) can put a heavier wire in.

but i got my top braces yesterday... ceramics, "pearl" ligs.
got light blue ligs on the bottom.

so i'm back on a mushy diet for another week... bottom teeth dont hurt at all though really :D

i also got my cleats ground off (w00t - so muchbetter)
and the bits that attach my expander to the front molars taken off, so at least i can shut my mouth a bit better, although i think my bite had changed and i cant shut my teeth properly anyway.
upper expander 14-04-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

*Jenni*

#12 Post by *Jenni* »

had an adjustment this morning, and i have a spring!!!
its amazing, i could swear my teeth have moved already :D

anyway, i've had quit a lot of movement in my top teeth, i have 2 gaps :( but the wire is pretty much straight now :) and i have one wire tie on the top canine cuz the wire moved out of the groove with just a lig.

i found out i get my expander off the appointment after the next one, and my next appointment isn't for 7 weeks :-+ so i have an absolute minimum of another 11 weeks *cries lots* so that about the 11th of october...
3 to 6 months but probably 3 my ass...
upper expander 14-04-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

stargirl

#13 Post by stargirl »

Wow, your teeth are looking awesome!! I wish mine looked that good...

Also, great news about the expander... at least you have an actual date to look forward to now! 11 days until mine's removed, so excited!

Don't worry, the last little while will go by fast!

*Jenni*

#14 Post by *Jenni* »

yours arn't bad! (i had a look at the last pic in your story)
just remember in that photo you cant see the tooth thats behind those other teeth... and the gaps on either side of my front teeth are normally a lot more noticable!
and its only MY estimation of the expander removal date, and thats the very least it could be... it could be another 14 weeks away. and i've just started a job in a call centre :(
but i'm sure it will go fast, if what has already past this year is anything to go by!!!
upper expander 14-04-05
upper ceramics 23-06-05

M1k3y

#15 Post by M1k3y »

How is your progress now Jenni?
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08