Loop's Story (with photos)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ihateteeth

crossbite..

#46 Post by ihateteeth »

so... i'm 15, just for the record
this morning i got braces and an expander thing? to fix my crossbite
you have to turn it with a key every day and it really sucks
i can't even swallow! they gave me advil to make the pain go away and i couldn't swallow it! are orthodontists like retarded or something???
my mom screamed at me that this is costing her money and that i shouldn't complain ("it hurts!!")
what a complain
i'm going to walk down to my orthodontist's place (about a 20 minute walk) and tell her to take it out and give me my money back. i'm not even kidding
if it stops raining i'm going to go do it. my boyfriend is being really supportive but still, once he sees how ugly these have made me...

lazerbud

#47 Post by lazerbud »

fyrelight : You're right, it's almost identical! Infact i found out about my impacted canine in almost the identical fashion!

Joplin : "Are you thinking of getting braces?" Not really, I'm going to be away from home for a while, I believe getting braces involves regular check ups, which I wouldn't be able to undertake, hence the option of removing the impacted tooth and getting a fake one in place of the milk tooth.

How did you come to realize you have an impacted canine?
Just like Eleni did! I felt a small dot on my upper palette, initially thought it was a piece of food or something, freaked out when I saw it was a tooth actually, went to the dentist who confirmed it was a misdirected canine and referred me to a maxillo facial surgeon who told me the rest!

Loop

#48 Post by Loop »

Thought I'd post some photos of my mouth post-surgery.
After seeing these photos, I can't believe quite how bad (crooked) my teeth really are! Thank goodness this is a work in progress!

Look how crooked this little guy is!

This is the lateral tooth with the receeded gum, as you can see, there's quite a difference in the gum line between this one and the one in the picture above.

There is a dent left where they took out my left impacted canine! I can also feel with my tongue a dent in the roof of my mouth where they took out the right canine. I think these will fill in with time though.

Everything is pretty much healed up and back to normal now, I am biting again with my front teeth and just waiting for the next stage in treatment which is a lingual arch fitted on June the 1st.

Dodger(UK)

#49 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Hi Loop - thanks for sharing your pics. Yes they do show the degree of overcrowding which has caused your teeth to shift somewhat from their ideal positions. Do not despair because I can speak from personal experience that no matter how crooked your teeth are, they will be brought to heel as soon as you start your ortho treatment. It will be good to chart your progress and see the rapid improvement you will make when you start your treatment. :D

joplin

#50 Post by joplin »

Loop, how are things going? Do you have a date for getting braced yet?
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Loop

#51 Post by Loop »

Hi Joplin

I haven't got a date yet for my brace and I'm starting to get fed-up! I have been walking around with extraction gaps for 8 weeks now.
I mentioned before I am getting free treatment at my local dental hospital but I don't like the student that's been assigned to me. Previously I'd seen someone different every time and had no problems but this girl is now my dedicated person/orthodontist.
She never answers my questions, she mumbles something and walks away. She left my spacers on one side hanging out and suprise suprise they ended up falling out so I had to go back for an emergency appointment missing even more time from work. She didn't know what a lingual arch was and had to be told that I'd need a bite plate or I'd bite off my bottom brackets - I guessed that already from the info on this site! I know I shouldn't be all that suprised as it is NHS and she is a student so I'm not going to get the same level of service as I would if I went private but it makes me mad that she never explains anything or answer my questions, she could at least attempt to find out the answer for me if she doesn't know.

Anyway...sorry to rant! My parents have offered to lend me the money to have my treatment completed privately if I want so I have booked myself in for an intitial consultation on the 21st June. I am interested to see what treatment they recommend and more importantly the price.

In the meantime, the hospital have fitted a lingual arch on the bottom and I think I'm supposed to be getting a TPA at some point and also a bite plane.
They won't clarify anything for me or when any of this is going to happen so I'm in the dark what's going to happen at my next appointment!

Loop

#52 Post by Loop »

Here's some picture updates:

Spacers..

Lower lingual arch:

joplin

#53 Post by joplin »

Thanks for your update, Loop! I was wondering how you're doing.
Sorry to hear about all the trouble the NHS is giving you :( and glad that your parents have offered their help :) Let us know what happens on June 21.
Thanks for posting pictures! Nice to see there is at least some work in progress already!

Medical professionals not giving you answers and not talking to you seems to be a universal thing. My ortho usually tries to run to her next patient as soon as she's spent five minutes with me, but I most often manage to stop her on the treshold and shoot my questions at her. And there she stands, looking like she should be some place else, like my questions are keeping her from doing something more important... Are they trained to avoid their patients' questions or what?
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Manda

#54 Post by Manda »

Hi Loop, good to hear that your braces journey is starting. Sorry to hear that the NHS is giving you a hard time, but at least now that you have spacers, the braces should be coming on soon. Thats exciting! Best of luck, and I hope things start going smoother for you. Keep us updated! :D

Loop

#55 Post by Loop »

Well I'm feeling a lot happier about things today after I went for a consultation with a private ortho.
He's suggested a different treatment plan to the hospital. Basically he is not going to use the lingual arch or TPA as they maintain the arch width, he suggested using Damon 3's which will actually widen the arch a bit (I've always thought my arches were rather narrow). It's a bum they removed my lower central incisor as I think they could've sorted the lowers out without extractions with the Damons and would be able to widen it more than they can now it's removed.
£3,600 for treatment and it'll take 15 months. I asked if it would be any cheaper with metal brackets but it'd cost the same and the outcome wouldn't be quite as good as with Damons so I think I'm going to go with for it! This ortho is really busy, I think that's a good sign. The next free appointment to get the braces is on 4th August - I can't wait!!
Goodbye NHS! Image

swan

#56 Post by swan »

Loop, I'm glad things are getting sorted out for you now.

The ortho being a student shouldn't reduce the quality of service, though. I had a student dentist at the dental school for a while and she was great. She was careful to do things right, answered my questions, and knew when to get assistance from someone more experienced.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

joplin

#57 Post by joplin »

I'm glad for you, Loop! You saved a lot of £'s by having the canine surgery on the NHS, that would have cost fortunes with a private OS - been there, paid that.
Now you can really start looking forward to getting braced!

Loop

#58 Post by Loop »

Not much of an update I know but today is my last Thursday brace-free for a year and a half....YEEEEE-AWWWWWWW!!!!!
I am SO excited to be getting braces at last!

Loop

Loop's Story - Braced at last!

#59 Post by Loop »

Well my braces day came and went finally! I was so excited I could not wait to get to the Ortho's office.
Had yet another set of impressions taken, this is about the fifth set I've had taken this year. The most pleasant impressions experience I've had so far; they were in and out in a couple of minutes, no gagging and nice minty flavoured putty - the first up-side of going private :)

Next he removed my lower lingual arch and put the brakets on, it was all over so quickly - about 15 minutes, I couldn't believe it! I took a look in the mirror and got a shock...instead of Damon 3 brackets I had Clarity. I asked him why I hadn't got the Damon 3's and he said that he's had to stop using them for the time being because they keep falling off his current patients. :?
I wish he'd told me before he put these brackets on, I wish Orthodontists would learn: WE DON'T LIKE SUPRISES!! I'm sure he would not have said anything if I hadn't asked. If I had a choice I would have gone for metal brackets, believe it or not I actually prefer them to ceramic! I am a bit peeved about not getting the Damons but I am also elated that I am braced at last after so long. I picked some pink ligatures to cheer me up as that is one plus side of not getting the Damons - coloured ligatures!

They've been in for 2 days now and so far I've had very minimal discomfort, I don't want to tempt fate but I've been able to eat and chew everything as normal and not had too much problem with food getting stuck between the brackets.

Next appointment is in 8 weeks, I'm getting a new wire on top and my bottom arch braced - hopefully metal.

Anyway here are the all important photos:

caryca

#60 Post by caryca »

Loop clarity is not that bad, I have them and I do not have any disconfort, i do nto use wax! which is nice, and if you feel like to hide your braces...you can do with them (in the pubs, discos you do not see them- well if you have clear ligaures :wink: )
I really like my clerity braces :-9 :pinkbraces:

good luck :-V
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.