OK--This was not the plan!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TMJJill

Re: OK--This was not the plan!

#466 Post by TMJJill »

I've had my upper impacted wisdom teeth removed and I've had 2 oral surgeries to remove very large tori from my jaw. Basically, they shaved down tons of bone on the outer part of my jaw and stitched the gum back into place. I actually had my wisdom teeth removed because the root was coming up into my sinus area and I was having sinus issues.

It has been a while since I had them, but I'm thinking I iced like crazy for the inflammation. I do know I followed the doc's instructions. Have you been able to ice? Ice crushed fine like snow has been a lifesaver more than once for me after the surgeries.

Wishing you well.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

klobird

#467 Post by klobird »

Hey Tmj--ya, I've been using a lot of ice--I even fell asleep with my face laying on the icebag! Those tori--I have them too--very large--why did they have to remove yours?
I've seen the video on that--yikes!!!

I am doing so much better tonight. I started to develop what I believe is sciatica--from laying around too much--and it has been 100 times more painful than my surgery area.
If I take the Percocet, I just fall asleep. I can't do that at work. But I tried to do some work here at home and couldn't sit down at the computer--it's like a pinched nerve in my butt.

Then I remembered--my sister was in Canada for several weeks and picked up some Tyenol 222 (Tylenol with a little bit of codeine) for me in case I needed it for my surgery.
It has worked wonders for my butt pain!! I was freaking--I didn't want yet another whiny reason to not be able to do my job! And now I can taper off the pain meds--that Percocet is kind of disabling stuff. :crazy:

My favorite thing during this was a large cherry Icee my friend picked up at Target for me. That thing has lasted for 3 days--a little at a time--it's yummy and icy and has been a great treat.

So ya, tomorrow morning I go to the ortho to get the Forsus put back in--that thing is really beginning to p*ss me off--I'm afraid I'll lose it at the ortho and get nasty. That appliance is the one thing that I am finding to be my enemy in this journey. Without that in, it's like not even having braces!

So, I'm going to get back on track and get this thing done!! It's all good....!

TMJJill

#468 Post by TMJJill »

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. I was on Percocet on and off for about 7 weeks in February and March after some wrist surgery. It makes me incredibly sleepy. It also messes with my digestive system. I have to take anti-nausea meds with every dose. :( Unfortunately, I've been taking NSAIDS almost 24/7 since then since the surgery didn't completely fix my problem. I HATE having to rely on them.

I completely understand ending up with other health problems after one sets in. There are so many ways the body is interconnected. I've had more than my share of those connections over the last couple years. That is a large part of how I ended up on this board.

Would you believe I've actually had doctors prescribe ICEES? :?: I love that one. I usually go with cherry, but I discovered a lime one last week that is wonderful as well. :D A bit of cherry mixed with the lime topped it off.

I'm a bruxer. I developed both an upper and lower tori on my left side. They grew so large that I had tiny bits of food catching between them and my cheek and rubbing sores before I noticed it. I had them removed by an exodontist. Typically they are only removed if dentures need to be fit since they are benign, but because it was causing me so many problems they were willing to remove them for me. It was about 6-7 years ago, but I still remember it well. The Exodontist was "visiting" my dental practice from another branch in the next town over. My dentist actually cancelled the patient she had scheduled so she could watch the procedure. Next thing I know there were 5-6 people in there throughout the procedure and the Exodontist was giving a blow-by-blow description of everything he was doing. I was supposed to have both removed in one visit, but when he finished my upper one he said it was the largest one he had ever seen and that he had done too much trauma to me and I ended up having to go back for another surgery for the lower. That surgery was my very first experience taking pain killers and I didn't know about my nausea issue. Despite following the dentist's instructions, I ended up throwing up after I took my first one. That was the last thing I needed with oral surgery. I was very lucky I didn't end up with an infection or stuff in the incision. I certainly learned that lesson the hard way. :-+

Good luck with the Forsus.

klobird

#469 Post by klobird »

Had I journaled this morning, I would have alluded to much more profanity than I will as I journal right now.

So, I went to the ortho this morning. I was determined to ask him how much longer I would have the Forsus--could he please give me a time frame. And I did. And he says-"well, now that your troublesome teeth are out, and since you are an excellent elastics wearer, why don't we just go back to elastics. I think that will be fine..." (something like that) YIIIPPPEEEEE!!!! :jump: :dance: :BigGrin: I was THRILLED--for about 20 seconds...

And then as he is walking away, he says to the assistant. "Will you please note on her chart that we need to put bite turbos in on her next visit" !!!!!!! :-+ :-= :evil: :-+ :-+ :-+
Say whaaaaatttttt?????? OMG, I nearly had a sh*t fit right there (I knew there was still some profanity left in me...) What the effing hell--hasn't he d*mn well tortured me enough??

So anyway, because of all I've read on this site (thank God for this site) I asked if I could have the molar build-ups instead (except I was in such disarray that all I could remember was that they're blue and in the back)...He finally caught my drift, and said "oh ya, that'll be fine"--then to the assistant--"the 2nd molars in the back"--something like that.

It seems like the very minute I get some peace--the very minute that I'm not panicky or feeling trapped, or in pain, I get another bombshell. And I only have 10 months to go.
What--10 months of every torturous contraption that orthodontics has come up with? (By the way--yes my extraction site is still somewhat uncomfortable--not terrible though.)

OK--to keep things real--I still know that this isn't the end of the world, and I am so glad that I am not seriously ill and I thank God for that quite often. This is my choice. I'm just a little taken back at all the new stuff that has been thrown my way in such a short time...

And for those who might be wondering--no I am not one bit sorry I got braces. In shock, yes, but sorry--never! :tingrin:

(AND I DON'T HAVE THE FORSUS ANYMORE!!!)

TMJJill

#470 Post by TMJJill »

Congrats on your graduation from the Forsus. :rose:

starfish88

#471 Post by starfish88 »

I'm glad you are free of the forsus and healing well. Also aren't the bite turbos/molar buildups to stop your top teeth hitting your bottom brackets? Just take that as a sign of how well they have fixed your overjet because my top teeth and bottom brackets arn't even in the same postcode! Good luck and keep smiling

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

klobird

#472 Post by klobird »

ROFL Star---You're so right!! And I'm getting the picture that the molar build-ups aren't that bad. I need to just keep reminding myself that 10 months and I'm done is pretty awesome. And he did say I'm still on track!

catgyrl

#473 Post by catgyrl »

Klo - I just replied to your PM...

And the answer to your question is "NO, they can NEVER torture you enough!" They always have something else up their sleeve. And they're very sly about it - while you're lying there, completely helpless, they just start thowing hooks, bands, and whatever else they want to in there, without even telling you. I have very animated facial expressions, so even if I can't say anything, they know how I feel. :x

starfish88 has a good point - at least your teeth are touching now!! I told my ortho and his wife it was so nice to feel my teeth touch and to be able to bite into food. Wifey then said, "Yeah! And now you can bite a piece of thread to tear it off!" Ortho heard that and said, "Uh... no, don't do that!" :lol:

klobird

#474 Post by klobird »

Oh WOW--biting thread off--hard to imagine!!

Things are on the move with those 2 teeth out --really on the move--like after an adjustment on the move. Never has there been a more welcome feeling!! (Not going to describe the feeling here-- :wink: ) But I am really happy!!! :HugeGrin:

Yes, my ortho is the same way Cat!! He just throws it over to the assistant when he's walking away--almost like he really didn't want me to hear it! Hey Mr. Ortho man, I got your number buddy!

So, the ortho is having a contest to see who goes to the new "Twilight" moving coming out in November. He is going to rent out a theater, and the movie will be shown before it goes to the box office. It is going to be a "red carpet affair"--(In this little city in the State of Washington :Questions: ). Anyway, there will be prizes and I'm quite sure they will be mega prizes because he does everything BIG! Food etc-his office mgr said it's going to really be something...OK, so hmmmmm....I have to go if I win---I don't know a dang thing about this "Twilight" stuff--but.....there is an off the wall cutest little 18 yr old crazy cheerleader receptionist girl in our office who will love me forever if I take her. And of course, I already told her she could be my guest if I get tickets. The weird thing is--I don't think he even has enough patients to fill a theater--unless it's a whole town ortho thing. Can you even imagine the amount of shiny metal that will be there? ROFL!!!

Oh you know what--ha ha--I'm going to the ortho facebook page right now to ask if there will be popcorn!!

catgyrl

#475 Post by catgyrl »

Hey Klo - I do follow the Twilight movies, and as bad as the acting is in those films, nothing compares to the HORRIBLE acting in "Magic Mike", which I saw last night. Oh Lordy! Had I been by myself, I would've walked out halfway through. All the good scenes were shown in the commercials. The women in the audience were also pretty disappointed, and when it ended, there was an audible "HUH?!" Like, "Thst was IT?"

Your ortho sounds like so much fun! Mine never includes me in any of their contests. And yes, do ask about the popcorn!

klobird

#476 Post by klobird »

Hey Cat--I did post the thing about the popcorn on the facebook page. Can't wait for his comment!

Sorry Magic Mike was such a loser film. Maybe it's because I'm older but I LOVED "21 Jump Street". I thought it was hilarious!

Ya, now I just have to be one of the one's picked to go to the Twilight thing...to be picked you just have to make a comment about wanting to go on the facebook page and you will be entered in the drawing.
And when I was at the ortho the other day, they gave me a raffle ticket and told me to give it to the receptionist. I gave it to her, but thought--wow that's weird. And then it occured to me that maybe I needed to put my name on the ticket!!!

Grace123

#477 Post by Grace123 »

You are an inspiration klobird. Your great attitude keeps on helping mine. Thanks! ...but no thanks for reminding me how I miss popcorn. ;)

klobird

#478 Post by klobird »

Hey thanks Grace--(sorry about the popcorn thing...a lot of people eat it who are on this forum, but I'm not one either...and I really miss it too!!)

OK--update--elastics w/teeth out are doing great. I was thinking this morning how easy it's all gotten....

Well until about 2 hours ago...so ya, hmmmm....I was out hiking with some friends in a state park this afternoon. Right on the main trail were 2 fallen trees--branchless and about 2 feet off the ground. Easy to walk over---it you're not a total KLUTZ!!...
Ya, so I took a header nose and mouth first right over the log and into the dirt trail.
OWEEEEEE!!!!

My lip on top is getting swollen. There is a slight possibility my nose is broken. At any rate, it's not a pretty sight. I'm icing it right now.

I made a report at the ranger station and so then ranger brings out his trusty first aid kit. He breaks up the little ice pack thing. It doesn't work. Inside the station, they have no ice packs. They had cold bottled water so I bought that, and held it on my face. My front braces did go into my top lip just a little, but it hurts more on the outside of my top lip. I'm home and icing my face--just as the whole oral surgery black and blue and swollen has cleared up!

I know at the store they probably think I'm the victim of physical abuse...Oh well, more sympathy for me, I guess!!!

Realizingadream

#479 Post by Realizingadream »

OH MY DEAR KLO, you HAVE to pick ME ME ME to come to the Twilight show with you. How cool would that be! I have read all the books but have never seen the movies.

I am sorry you fell. I fell in the State Park a few years ago, a really remarkable fall, rather like a pirouette and high dive and hand stand all in one. I BROKE MY WRIST I could not believe it. I had my two rather young daughters with me. How embarrassing THAT was. And the little, frightened Forest Ranger was no help, I thought HE was going to die. He did finally give us all a ride back to the campsite, which was a really long ways to walk with a broken wrist. I completed the week of camping, but got all sunburned because with the break I couldn't put on the sunscreen very well. I use SPF 5000. Or is it 50,000. Anyways.

Anyway, I hope you get better really, really fast and that it hasn't set your treatment back at all. That is really sad that happened.

Real

klobird

#480 Post by klobird »

Well Real....I notice that you are in the same region of the country as me...I'd be glad to have someone else to take my ticket--someone who might appreciate it... it's just not my thing....

I have no idea about the details of the whole thing...it's not until about 2 weeks before the public release in November. PM me if your serious...I really could care less, and would love to provide someone else the opportunity. I don't know if the winner has to go. I have no idea.... :yuck: (sorry..)

As far as my mug--I cannot believe how fast and how well my face recovered. It's almost like I didn't even fall!! I went to the doctor yesterday. He said I had a concussion without a loss of consciousness, but because I landed on dirt I didn't get as hurt as I could have on hard ground. So, everything is fine, although none of us thought it would turn out so well at the time. My braces did dig into my lips a little, and it's that annoying kind of brace soreness/sore spots. I used wax on my front teeth last night so they wouldn't rub on the sore spots. The mouth heals sooooo quickly!!

So, it's all good--this is a peaceful time in braces for me--no hassles,no problems. After the last few months, it's really nice. I don't have to see the ortho again until July 31st.
I am just going to enjoy the next 3 weeks!