Viking's story (asymetric lower jaw and crowded teeth)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Viking

Viking's story (asymetric lower jaw and crowded teeth)

#1 Post by Viking »

Hi all!

This is my story about my teeth improvement project. I'm a late 30s male from a country in Scandinavia. English is not my first language, but I hope you can understand what I write.

Since my late teens I have known that my lower jaw was tilted to the right and that my front teeth were crooked. I didn't think much about it at the time but a few years ago I asked my dentist if there was something I could to about the crowding of my front teeth. She gave me the number to an orthodontist, but for some reason I didn't call for TWO years......

When I finally called and visited the orthodontist she took a quick look at me and told me she thought I should see an oral surgeon instead. I had never thought that it was possible to fix my lower jaw, but now that I had the chance I accepted.

After a few visits to the surgeon at the hospital I was accepted for treatment and was sent back to the orthodontist to start my 12 months of braces before the surgery.

Health care is free where I live and I only pay a small amount for my treatment. The downside is that there is a lot of waiting time. The evaluation before I got accepted for treatment took one year......

Here is the BEFORE picture. I do not want to show any more of my face, but this picture shows my teeth and gives a hint of my lower jaw.

Bye bye first premolars......

Here is the current status: Brackets are on my upper jaw and I have rubber rings to make room for molar bands. The rubber bands does not hurt, except when I try to chew. Soft food, please.

This is the current status. I will get the upper wire and the molar bands in a few days.

... and I promise to shave before taking any more pictures. :)

Angel269

Re: Viking's story (asymetric lower jaw and crowded teeth)

#2 Post by Angel269 »

Great to hear you are starting treatment-Hope all goes well and look forward to seeing updates and photos as things change :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

EbonyQ

#3 Post by EbonyQ »

Hi! Another one from Scandinavia! Norway here, had braces for almost seven months. Damon in my upper jaw, and lower sometime in the future (we have to take it snail slow because of my “ortho phobia” :roll: ).

Good luck with your journey! :thumbsup:

[/url]

Viking

#4 Post by Viking »

Ok, now I'm officially braced!

It does not hurt ..... except when I eat. The front teeth are very sensitive and I cannot bite anything off. Had to cut a slice of bread in small pieces to eat it. I also bite the inside of my right cheek when I eat.

The ortho added two tiny wires between each canine and first molar to close the gaps and give more space to the incisors.

Next visit to the ortho is in 7 weeks when I will get the braces on the lower jaw.

Viking

#5 Post by Viking »

One week with braces has passed and I cannot see any movement so no new pictures. Much less pain when chewing compared to the first days.

This morning the right lateral incisor felt loose and was visible loose, but I guess that is the way it is supposed to be?

unspec

#6 Post by unspec »

Viking wrote:One week with braces has passed and I cannot see any movement so no new pictures. Much less pain when chewing compared to the first days.

This morning the right lateral incisor felt loose and was visible loose, but I guess that is the way it is supposed to be?
It took about 3 weeks before I could see even a tiny bit of movement from my brace, so don't worry.

starfish88

#7 Post by starfish88 »

That loose feeling suggests things will start moving pretty soon. Watch the wires not the teeth - thats where I saw movement first. Glad the pain is going away - the first week is really hard but thankfully so far nothing has been that sore again.

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

microbrew

#8 Post by microbrew »

Completely agree with Starfish here, you'll see the wire shift before you notice significant movement of your teeth. The first month or so your mouth is still getting used to the new tension that has been created. After that you'll be surprised how fast everything will fall in line. By month 3 and 4 you will see major shifting cause your teeth have loosened up quite a bit. Congrats on starting your journey Viking!

Viking

#9 Post by Viking »

Current status - 3.5 weeks

Viking

#10 Post by Viking »

I cannot see any change in the mirror, but if you compare week 0 and week 3.5 - isn't the wire a little bit straighter?

Week 0

Week 3.5

unspec

#11 Post by unspec »

Viking wrote:I cannot see any change in the mirror, but if you compare week 0 and week 3.5 - isn't the wire a little bit straighter?

Week 0

Week 3.5
I can definitely see a straightening of the wire on the left side of the photo! :jump:

I guess the teeth have started to loosen up, I'm sure the changes are going to get a lot faster from now on in.

Viking

#12 Post by Viking »

unspec wrote:I can definitely see a straightening of the wire on the left side of the photo! :jump:

I guess the teeth have started to loosen up, I'm sure the changes are going to get a lot faster from now on in.
Yes, feels great. :) Now four more weeks before bottom braces.

Kipepeo

#13 Post by Kipepeo »

I have a feeling this is going to be another one of those "WOW" stories!

Viking

#14 Post by Viking »

Now there is definitely change some change. The central incisors overlap much less and the wire is definitely straighter also on the left side. Feels great! :)

Week 0

Week 5.5

Viking

#15 Post by Viking »

After 7 weeks with only braces on top I have now received the lower braces. Right not things are not pleasant..... :( The Bracket on the bottom right canine hits the top right canine which makes it hard chew food. I have some kind of rubber bumper on the lower bracket to avoid damaging the top teeth.