bracefaceat34 story of my braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracefaceat34

bracefaceat34 story of my braces

#1 Post by bracefaceat34 »

You may have guessed it from my user name...I'm 34 years old. Today is day 1 with braces.
I have a large bite - my bottom teeth are completely hidden when I bite down. I had 2 teeth (one top, one bottom) erroneously extracted as a pre-teen - crazy dentist who pulled perfectly healthy teeth that were possibly in a bad spot - I had some overcrowding and should have gotten braces. In any event, my teeth all shifted to the right - the place of the two missing teeth and I have a crooked smile and a bite that goes over and off to the side!

After spending THOUSANDS of dollars on dental work that came as a result of broken teeth from the malocclusion, necessitating lots of root canals and crowns, I finally decided that I should get braces to try to avert any other problems with my poor teeth!

I went in for all the prep stuff, diagnostics, photos, etc. and then yesterday was the big day! When the tech put the cheek stretchers in then the tongue guard I was already gagging...then she added the cold water & suction tubes, one for each side of my mouth....YEOUCH! It hurt so bad..I have a few sensitive teeth. She said, "Don't worry, you only have to do this for about 20 minutes." I thought I would pass out but I did build up a tolerance to the pain.

It seemed to go pretty fast getting them on - they put ceramics on the top with metal on 2 molars and metal on the bottom. I will be going back next wed. for the wire on the bottom and bands on 5 of my crowns as they can't get the adhesive to stick to the porcelain of the crowns.

I also received a bracket on the backs of my top front teeth to prevent my overbite from knocking off the bottom braces. Therefore, my teeth in the back won't go together and I can't figure out how to eat anything. I am on a liquid diet right now until I figure out how to eat something with a little more substance.

I also seemed to have a tough time with the brushing and have been using wax because they are hurting the inside of my mouth. I've had 2 c-sections, the likes of which were not as annoying to recover from as having all this junk in my mouth.

I should have them on for around 3 years.....good GOD!
Will keep you posted and add pics when I can...thanks for reading my story.
ps. hubby bought me a diamond band to match my new mouth sparklers ;o) That wasn't too bad...and my 3 year old says she LOVES my new braces ;o)
Last edited by bracefaceat34 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Congratulations on getting started. I hope you feel better soon, just wait a couple of days. Its a challenge but in the end i hope its worth it. It will be i'm sure. i'm kind of confused about the brackets on the inside of your front teeth. Hope you get pictures up soon.

-Hannah

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Congrats on taking a huge step to a better smile. I got my braces almost 2 weeks ago. Like you, eating seemed impossible. My back teeth barely touched! Still don't. Plus my front teeth hit the brackets. I found chewing in a circular motion helps but still alot of unchewed food gets swallowed. It is getting better. Today I made myself a french dip sandwich using sourdough bread and very thinnly slice beef. I soaked the sandwich in the au jus to where it was mushy. I was able to actually eat it! After having soup for several days it was nice to bite into something. It was so good anyone around me would have sworn I was eating the worlds best steak. At any rate all that to say where there is a will there is a way. It will get better. And that is coming from someone who also had 2 c-sections and found that more tolerable than the first week with braces!
Good luck!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

bracefaceat34

#4 Post by bracefaceat34 »

hannah164 wrote:i'm kind of confused about the brackets on the inside of your front teeth. Hope you get pictures up soon.

-Hannah
To be honest with you, I am also confused about this. The ortho and assistant really did not explain anything to me as they did it which I found to be a little odd. As I was unable to speak I coulsn't ask them...They just told me that the brackets on the backs of my front teeth were because of my overbite. If anyone knows what these are called, please let me know...I am so green to this whole ortho thing.

bracefaceat34

#5 Post by bracefaceat34 »

Nikkiekoala wrote:Congrats on taking a huge step to a better smile. I got my braces almost 2 weeks ago. Like you, eating seemed impossible. My back teeth barely touched! Still don't. Plus my front teeth hit the brackets. I found chewing in a circular motion helps but still alot of unchewed food gets swallowed. It is getting better. Today I made myself a french dip sandwich using sourdough bread and very thinnly slice beef. I soaked the sandwich in the au jus to where it was mushy. I was able to actually eat it! After having soup for several days it was nice to bite into something. It was so good anyone around me would have sworn I was eating the worlds best steak. At any rate all that to say where there is a will there is a way. It will get better. And that is coming from someone who also had 2 c-sections and found that more tolerable than the first week with braces!
Good luck!
Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I know it will get easier but right now it just seems so alien. I tried eating some spaghetti tonight and not only did I have to swallow most of it without chewing, my lips are torn UP from TRYING to get it somewhat chewed!
YIKES - this is going to take some getting used to!!