Braces at 22!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

agrace90

Braces at 22!

#1 Post by agrace90 »

Hi Guys I have been around for a little while. I got my braces (Damon clear top metal bottom) almost 10 weeks ago and thought I would finally start my 'story'. I didn't get braces as a child because my mother as a single parent couldn't afford them. I looked into getting them put on after I graduated high school and again a couple years later. I tried to save up myself for them and realized it just wasn't going to happen. another couple years down the road(the present) I went back and decided to just do it and I would figure out how to pay for them as I go. So far so good! I'm supposed to be braced for 2 years so hopefully we stay on track. I have my first adjustment scheduled for next Thursday and am super excited but also nervous about the pain. I have had very minimal pain so far and seem to be very lucky, I hope it just doesn't come back for revenge at this first adjustment!

This is a picture of my progress so far! Day 1 through 8 weeks! :)

anedia

Re: Braces at 22!

#2 Post by anedia »

Oh wow, there's already big differences!! Congrats.

Is there a big difference in size between the top and the bottom that you can tell?
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

agrace90

#3 Post by agrace90 »

Size of the brackets? Definitely! At first I couldn't believe what I did to myself, but after a few weeks my mouth just adjusted. I don't even notice them anymore besides when I eat and brush. I have a tiny mouth as well! So for the first few days I couldn't even close my upper lip around the thicker clear brackets but eventually everything settled in. I can close my mouth throughout the day and night without thinking about it. If it's a concern of yours I wouldn't let it change your mind. :)

Helly

#4 Post by Helly »

Such a difference in only 8 weeks!

Hoping mine do the same! :D

anedia

#5 Post by anedia »

Yeah the size is a bit of a concern for me. Next appt I'm going to inspect the model ones they have and make a decision.

Lolasays

#6 Post by Lolasays »

That is amazing. You teeth look almost perfect in 8 weeks. Im 19 and looking to maybe getting braces.

agrace90

#7 Post by agrace90 »

Thanks guys. I wouldn't let the size stop you from getting them...either way your going to be adjusting to something foreign in your mouth so just go for it! I'm definitely glad I did choose the clear over metal.

anedia

#8 Post by anedia »

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the clear on top. I'll keep you updated, I still have over a month until my braces.

agrace90

#9 Post by agrace90 »

I have my first adjustment tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. I'm definitely looking forward to taking a second to floss and brush my teeth without a wire though ;)

butlerbulldogfan

#10 Post by butlerbulldogfan »

I can say the same thing agrace said. Their going feel huge when you first get the clear ones. I have clear on top and bottom and I thought the same thing for about 2 weeks what in the world have I done, they felt like giant boulders and there was no way I would ever get used to them. After a couple weeks somehow I suddenly just started get used to them they started feel like little pebbles instead and now there are times I dont even notice there their and other times I barely notice them. One thing I started doing around the time I suddenly started get used to them was taking OraJel mouthsore rinse as well as Natures Own Periowash can find on Amazon, that Periowash really helps with dry mouth. Ive had mine on for a month and have had no pain, with exception my front teeth feel numb so they been unusable to even attempt to eat with. My problem are brackets popping off 2 crowns. 5 so far. So that may be a issue if you have any, but probably would be with any braces. Like agrace said dont let size change your mind, and be patient with your lips and brain getting used to them.

butlerbulldogfan

#11 Post by butlerbulldogfan »

Oh and they feel alot bigger then they look. Someone 4 feet away from you wont even know you have them on, you cant see them. And for me its weird Ive had I dont know how many women that just seems like all of a sudden theyve started talking to me that hadnt before like their attracted to them or something, and they all have said their cute or look nice lol.

Matilda

#12 Post by Matilda »

Noticeable progress, agrace90.

Congratulations on getting your braces and good luck on your journey.

agrace90

#13 Post by agrace90 »

I lived through my first adjustment on Thursday, and my first dental cleaning with braces today. It wasn't too bad. I was expecting my adjustment to be painful and horrible but it wasn't bad at all...only one area on the bottom right was achy and I could definitely feel the pressure of the braces being "tightened" by the new wire. I was able to enjoy the weekend and even eat a burger somewhat normally! :) I've been very lucky with very minimal pain throughout this whole process.
My cleaning today was interesting. They scraped off a whole lot of the bonding cement since it was digging into my gums. other than that it was the normal cleaning process. They said I was doing a great job of keeping my teeth clean which I was really worried they would say I wasn't so that was relieving! All in all with all my firsts it was smooth sailing and hopefully it stays that way. :)
~Ash

agrace90

#14 Post by agrace90 »

Today marks 12 weeks with my braces. I've noticed over time I actually feel more self confident with my braces than without them. Of course there's times I wish they weren't there but there's also times I can go without even noticing them! Until I brush of course! Here's a comparison of day one to today! So much progress, even slight differences from 8 weeks. Such an exciting time! :)

agrace90

#15 Post by agrace90 »

Hi guys, just coming in with an update! I celebrated my birthday last month and am now 23 so the title is wrong now lol. I am nearly 20 weeks in and have my second adjustment on Tuesday 10/8. I'm due for elastics but don't know if I will be getting them then or not. My first adjustment went smooth and very minimal pain, just a little sore. I will update after as well. Here are pictures of my progress. The most I've seen in the backwards curve on MY right is now straightening out and starting to curve into an actual arch! Yeay!