My Braces (20 year old male)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SJB1138

My Braces (20 year old male)

#1 Post by SJB1138 »

Ok, I just got my spacers on yesterday... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. They be aching. Aspirin/Panadol isn't helping much. Man! It's like an aching and a stinging sensation.

I have my quad helix appointment next monday and the following week my braces will be installed'aroonie.

I should post the before pics because quite frankly, it makes the topic at least 10 times more interesting.

cakemamma

Re: My Braces (20 year old male)

#2 Post by cakemamma »

Hi SJ welcome, to the board and to the discomfort! Yes do post some pics! And I like to read peoples back stories too, and a bit about their treatment plan! But then I'm nosey in general!
Abi
http://www.cakebraces.blogspot.co.uk
Updated every Friday with progress photos
Ceramic front 6, rest metal on top, metal on bottom!
Braced on 8th November 2013 for 9-12 months

SJB1138

#3 Post by SJB1138 »

Hi Abi. Thanks for the reply. :)

For the past several years I've been suffering with anxiety and depression, this year has been a turnaround year for me in that I am really trying to improve my life and getting braces is one of the physical representations of that. I'm thinking I'll need to be able to smile in the future, you know? I intended to get braces a few years ago but I lost motivation... but now it's really happening and I'm most excited!

I've never been able to confidently smile. I am looking forward to when I get the braces off and I can smile with teeth and not be afraid to show them.

My treatment plan is to have a Quad Helix expander fitted first, and then a week later have my braces added. I don't know all of the lingo but when I get back from the next appointment I'll be able to enlighten you all more. My oral hygiene is very good, I have no holes or fillings. My dentist told me that my X-Rays were perfect, they're just not straight is all. I'm not sure how long I have the Quad Helix for. I'll have to ask because frankly most all I remembered is 2 years and 7 grand. I still have to decide whether I want to get ceramic, it's not much more money... I'm not sure it's worth the dilemma though seeing as it's only a partial disguise, I read on here that the brackets are larger than conventional metal brackets. That's probably not too comfortable.

Are there any people out there who have ceramic brackets that would care to add anything?

-SJ

SJB1138

#4 Post by SJB1138 »

My best friend just told me that "braces look gay".

What a good way to start my self improvement journey. :\ Has anyone else experienced insults like this?

SJB1138

#5 Post by SJB1138 »

My "before" picture.

I'm looking forward to when my teeth are straight so they can all get evenly polished finally, I'm probably going to get some whitening done too.

cakemamma

#6 Post by cakemamma »

Hi SJ thankyou for replying!
I can relate to your 'transformation' feeling, I recently went through a divorce, it was tough but in the heartache I lost some weight that was bothering me, so when I came out of the other side I felt like a new person, more myself if that makes sense? Im so glad that you realised your depression wasn't your true self and are able to see when its taking hold and be able to do something about it. You have a good set of teeth there, they will look gorgeous when you're finished!
As for ceramics, I have the front 6 ceramic and whilst they are bigger most people Ive met since having them on havent even noticed them, and i have a metal wire! the only thing is the staining of the clear bands so ill be getting a subtle colour next time but i dont regret them at all, they havent caused any sores even tho they are bigger, they are smoother, and im 6 days in now and ive got used to them completely. Im pro ceramic :D I have some pics of me smiling my whole face with them in if that'd help you? I could send them to you pm?
And lads our age (im 24) are generally idiots (yourself not included lol) dont let that deter you as they're only novelty for the first few weeks then no-one cares anymore!
Do you have any dates for your treatment? I'm absolutely convinced Ive had some movement already Its very exciting and i just cant wait for the front two to straighten out. Ive smiled non stop since getting them in, all of a sudden with the braces on you just arent shy anymore dont ask me why. Anyway sorry to hijack your page there, Good luck!
Abi
http://www.cakebraces.blogspot.co.uk
Updated every Friday with progress photos
Ceramic front 6, rest metal on top, metal on bottom!
Braced on 8th November 2013 for 9-12 months

SJB1138

#7 Post by SJB1138 »

cakemamma wrote:Hi SJ thankyou for replying!
I can relate to your 'transformation' feeling, I recently went through a divorce, it was tough but in the heartache I lost some weight that was bothering me, so when I came out of the other side I felt like a new person, more myself if that makes sense? Im so glad that you realised your depression wasn't your true self and are able to see when its taking hold and be able to do something about it. You have a good set of teeth there, they will look gorgeous when you're finished!
As for ceramics, I have the front 6 ceramic and whilst they are bigger most people Ive met since having them on havent even noticed them, and i have a metal wire! the only thing is the staining of the clear bands so ill be getting a subtle colour next time but i dont regret them at all, they havent caused any sores even tho they are bigger, they are smoother, and im 6 days in now and ive got used to them completely. Im pro ceramic :D I have some pics of me smiling my whole face with them in if that'd help you? I could send them to you pm?
And lads our age (im 24) are generally idiots (yourself not included lol) dont let that deter you as they're only novelty for the first few weeks then no-one cares anymore!
Do you have any dates for your treatment? I'm absolutely convinced Ive had some movement already Its very exciting and i just cant wait for the front two to straighten out. Ive smiled non stop since getting them in, all of a sudden with the braces on you just arent shy anymore dont ask me why. Anyway sorry to hijack your page there, Good luck!
Abi
That's awesome, congratulations on your weight loss! I know how you mean, I was in a bad relationship myself and I feel much more like me on the other side of it. Thank you very much for your kind words. I would love to see a picture of you smiling with your ceramics, feel free to PM them to me.

My next appointment is on Monday the 18th to get my quad helix fitted... I'm a little concerned that they didn't take moulds on my previous visit, though maybe they'll do it before the quad helix goes in. The following Monday is when I get my braces put in. I think I might do as you've done and get my upper 6 done in ceramic, I was contemplating it before but I think I just might take the plunge.

I sure hope the pain of the spacers goes away soon, it's really hard for me to eat much more than soup. Hopefully when I get the quad helix and the braces fitted the pain of those will subside quickly so I can get back to enjoying normal food. :tingrin:

SJB1138

#8 Post by SJB1138 »

Braced!

Before:

After:

Thank you Cakemamma for your advice on brackets, I'm very glad I got the clear ceramics, even if it was a hole in my pocket. lol

Please excuse the lateness of my post, I was braced and fitted with a quad helix exactly a week from today...

allymac

#9 Post by allymac »

You naturally have really lovely, white teeth- i think you'll have a perfect smile at the end of treatment :) keep us updated!

catwanabee

#10 Post by catwanabee »

What kind of clear ceramics are they? I have ceramics too but the "trapdoor" is metal..

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46203
In Ovation-C Braces
Braced on Dec 2013 for 24 Months

Beckley816

#11 Post by Beckley816 »

Catwanabee- you must have self ligating ceramics. My orthodontist showed me the difference the other day and he wants to use them on me as well. The self ligating have the metal on them but the regular ceramics don't and use rubber bands to hold them together. :)

chichi

#12 Post by chichi »

Beckley816 wrote:Catwanabee- you must have self ligating ceramics. My orthodontist showed me the difference the other day and he wants to use them on me as well. The self ligating have the metal on them but the regular ceramics don't and use rubber bands to hold them together. :)
It depends on which brand of self-ligating brackets are being used. I have ceramic Damons, which don't have any metal. There are also some traditional ceramic brackets that have metal where the wire goes.

And SJB, you have such nice, white teeth. They're going to look amazing when you're finished. I also started with a crossbite and high/crooked canine on one side, which has come down nicely in the past 6 months (unfortunately, my teeth are nowhere near as white as yours :))
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

SJB1138

#13 Post by SJB1138 »

Thank you very much everybody for the lovely compliments about my teeth!

Here's an update to show where I am currently. I'll do a before & after so you can get the full idea.

1st week:

2 months later:

Featheryy1221

#14 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Wow, you can already tell a big difference. Congrats on your progress so far! :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Matilda

#15 Post by Matilda »

The upper wire is a lot straighter already.