Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

Re: Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite

#16 Post by Anna5 »

Good luck Missred, I hope you won't get any pain!

MissRed

#17 Post by MissRed »

Ok so I woke up this morning to find one of my spacers was only hanging in there between my molars by one edge, my info sheet says it's not an emergency if this happens but I can't ring the ortho until Monday and I'm now worrying that he may have to put another one in which could then delay treatment? But I'm also reading that they can sometimes fall out when enough space has been created but I've only had them in since Thursday :O confused

Just hoping when I call on Mon they will say everything is fine

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46350

amelie82

#18 Post by amelie82 »

One of mine did that after a week (although I ended up with two different sets in for 5 weeks total--and they didn't have any problem). I wedged it back in with two pieces of floss it was pretty easy. I read it somewhere on here: loop two pieces of floss through to spacer, pull it apart with the floss, line it up and see-saw it a bit back in.

Re: previous comment, I just have regular braces. When are you getting your TPA? Are they going to do it all at once? My ortho said they basically did three procedures in one day. I think that included the SureSmile scanning. So it was braces, the TAD, the TPA and SureSmile scanning and all reg scanning all at once.

MissRed

#19 Post by MissRed »

amelie82 wrote:One of mine did that after a week (although I ended up with two different sets in for 5 weeks total--and they didn't have any problem). I wedged it back in with two pieces of floss it was pretty easy. I read it somewhere on here: loop two pieces of floss through to spacer, pull it apart with the floss, line it up and see-saw it a bit back in.

Re: previous comment, I just have regular braces. When are you getting your TPA? Are they going to do it all at once? My ortho said they basically did three procedures in one day. I think that included the SureSmile scanning. So it was braces, the TAD, the TPA and SureSmile scanning and all reg scanning all at once.
I tried to floss it back in last night but it's right next to a crown and it got stuck on the lip of it on the one side so I removed it to be safe, gonna call ortho tomorrow and hopefully he can sort it.

I think they are putting in my TPA along with my mini screws and braces all in one go on my third visit to the office in 2 weeks time. My TPA is just the wire though, there's no tad holding it there, my mini screws will be one each side in my gum to help intrude my molars I think.

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46350

Mrs v

#20 Post by Mrs v »

Hi,

I don't suppose you are in London Missred? Are you just being treated for an open bite. I have been for a few consultations and so far haven't got anywhere with having my open bite treated. They said surgery risks outweigh the benefits, the orthodontists say that they can't treat it (as can't guarantee results) so I'm still in limbo.

Spent so much money on the consultations to not get anywhere, just a sympathetic ear saying to wait for another few months and come back but I know they're just fobbing me off.

The hospital have suggested that they can do TADs but I have to go back to see if I am a candidate for this, whether NHS will cover, is that what you have? If you are in London I'd love a recommendation.

Thanks

MissRed

#21 Post by MissRed »

Mrs v wrote:Hi,

I don't suppose you are in London Missred? Are you just being treated for an open bite. I have been for a few consultations and so far haven't got anywhere with having my open bite treated. They said surgery risks outweigh the benefits, the orthodontists say that they can't treat it (as can't guarantee results) so I'm still in limbo.

Spent so much money on the consultations to not get anywhere, just a sympathetic ear saying to wait for another few months and come back but I know they're just fobbing me off.

The hospital have suggested that they can do TADs but I have to go back to see if I am a candidate for this, whether NHS will cover, is that what you have? If you are in London I'd love a recommendation.

Thanks
Hi Mrs V

No I'm in the Midlands, in fairness I think with open bites from what I have read it appears to be a very different story for each and every patient. I was very lucky as I only went to two consultations and both were free, the first ortho said he could fix it and he seemed confident, I'm also not having a TAD/TADS in the roof of my mouth but instead a mini screw on the top gum of each side of my mouth if that makes sense? Whereas most people on here with open bites seem to be having a TAD in the roof of their mouth.

I'm sorry I can't help much more than that but if you have anymore questions I'll try to help!

It might be best to try and get some more consultants but get some clear answers on why it is they can't treat you?

Anna5

#22 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Missred, How are you doing now? I was wondering, do you also have a bit of a crossbite? How is your ortho going to correct that? I hope you see progress very soon!

And Mrs V, I am sad to hear that you haven't been proposed a good treatment, but I am sure there must be an ortho (or surgeon) who can treat you. They might not guarantee you great results, but I am sure you can get a good improvement from braces or TADS, like many of us here on the forum!

MissRed

#23 Post by MissRed »

As far as I am aware there is no crossbite. I had my spacer that fell out put back in on Monday and I'm back to the ortho on Thurs to get my molar bands fitted, a crown reshaped and some moulds taken I think.

Mrs v

#24 Post by Mrs v »

Thanks both Missred and Anna. I'm originally from the midlands (brum). Think I'm going to the wrong places but have a dental hospital referral and my normal hospital are to see me at the end of the month. Both nhs. Are you being treated nhs or privately?

Missred do you mind me asking how old you are? What is the size of your open bite and how long you've had it?

I know open bites aren't easy to fix but I feel the people I've seen don't want to deal as it's not a simple fix and guess they don't want a bad press. Orthodontists seem are hard to come by as appointments are weeks after you phone so they'd probably rather the simple standard type patients.

Will see if have any more news next week.

Hope your fittings are going well. Not sure of all correct terminology.

MissRed

#25 Post by MissRed »

Mrs v wrote:Thanks both Missred and Anna. I'm originally from the midlands (brum). Think I'm going to the wrong places but have a dental hospital referral and my normal hospital are to see me at the end of the month. Both nhs. Are you being treated nhs or privately?

Missred do you mind me asking how old you are? What is the size of your open bite and how long you've had it?

I know open bites aren't easy to fix but I feel the people I've seen don't want to deal as it's not a simple fix and guess they don't want a bad press. Orthodontists seem are hard to come by as appointments are weeks after you phone so they'd probably rather the simple standard type patients.

Will see if have any more news next week.

Hope your fittings are going well. Not sure of all correct terminology.
I'm being treated privately.

I'm 24, don't know how big my open bite is but I feel as though it's quite severe, there's a pic in one of the above posts and I've had it since I was very young because I sucked my thumb, was supposed to have braces at 12 but was petrified of the dentist.

I've found the opposite with the ortho I'm seeing, I don't think he's fixed a problem as bad as mine before but he appeared to be almost waiting for somebody to come to see him with an big open bite because he's confident he can close it and is eager to start which in turn encourages me I suppose.

MissRed

#26 Post by MissRed »

I've been reading a lot around the forums about the pain of spacers/separators so I just thought I'd add in my experience seen as though mine are coming out tomorrow (I think).

They genuinely have been fine, I was expecting agony from what I have read but I had no discomfort with the ortho putting them in and no discomfort when he had to replace one.

My teeth have definitely felt tight and I've had to be careful with eating but I went out for a meal and have eaten pretty much anything I wanted in the week they have been on. So please don't be too concerned! I think it's one of those things where different people will have different experiences and if you do feel as though the tightness or pain is getting a bit much just take an ibuprofen!

MissRed

#27 Post by MissRed »

So, ortho took out my spacers today, he's happy with the space on the top left but there's still not enough on the right. He took some impressions for my TPA and then asked me to book an extra appointment before brace day to get spacers put back in to make more room so I'm back in on Monday for that then Thursday is the big day with the whole lot going in, braces, molar bands, TPA and mini screws. Very nervous but also excited.

amelie82

#28 Post by amelie82 »

Good Luck on Thursday!! When I went in for the bracing, the assistant was like, oh you seem excited, I don't get many people like that! I said I was ready to get this started, of course by the end I was ready to run the hell out of there and rip the damn TPA out, lol!

Where are they putting your TAD(s)? Mine is much further towards the back of my hard palate than I though it would/could be. They used local numbing cream and then two or three shots (which hurt worse than anything else :huh: ). But no worries, it all went fine :thumbsup: Take some pics then of the TPA & TAD, I'm always curious how other people's TPA's look! Mine is all one piece (molar bands, TPA w/hooks, plus hooks and those buccal (?) tube things on the outside of the molar bands--hope that doesn't mean I have to wear extra stuffy :crazy: ).

Are you excited yet? Or nervous? I wasn't nervous at all, just wanted to get on with it, haha.

MissRed

#29 Post by MissRed »

amelie82 wrote:Good Luck on Thursday!! When I went in for the bracing, the assistant was like, oh you seem excited, I don't get many people like that! I said I was ready to get this started, of course by the end I was ready to run the hell out of there and rip the damn TPA out, lol!

Where are they putting your TAD(s)? Mine is much further towards the back of my hard palate than I though it would/could be. They used local numbing cream and then two or three shots (which hurt worse than anything else :huh: ). But no worries, it all went fine :thumbsup: Take some pics then of the TPA & TAD, I'm always curious how other people's TPA's look! Mine is all one piece (molar bands, TPA w/hooks, plus hooks and those buccal (?) tube things on the outside of the molar bands--hope that doesn't mean I have to wear extra stuffy :crazy: ).

Are you excited yet? Or nervous? I wasn't nervous at all, just wanted to get on with it, haha.
Hiya, thank you :)

My TADs so I'm told will be one either side of the top of my jaw, so on the gumline, no TADs at all on the palate.

I'm a strong mixture of both excited and nervous! Lol. My nerves stem from still being pretty scared of even being in the ortho's office though but I'm definitely excited because it's something I have wanted for a long time! I just really really hope I can adjust quickly to them so I can get on with uni and my two jobs!

It's good to hear that the procedure on the whole wasn't too bad! Have you added pictures yet to your story? *goes to look*

MissRed

#30 Post by MissRed »

I've just realised, of course you have pictures up because I've seen them, duh! Lmao

Your TPA looks bigger than what they have told me mine will be like, I think mine is just a looped piece of wire? I'll put photos up on Thursday though or at least try to.