PLEASE HELP!! Spring coil problems

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Noah Castrellon

PLEASE HELP!! Spring coil problems

#1 Post by Noah Castrellon »

Today actually marks day 50 of my journey with braces. Been smooth sailing until very recently. I have a spring coil that runs from my lower canine (#22) to my other canine (#27). I've gotten used to the pressure and the convex nature of the spring coil, however, lately the curve of the archwire with the spring coil is really protrusive. The center of the archwire measures 1cm from the nearest tooth. It doesn't sound like much but its enough that i can fit my pinky through it. Is this normal?? I'm having a really hard time talking and its difficult to even close my mouth all the way.
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/9915/LXqJhG.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/48/cXWAOx.jpg

Please Help :roll: :-((

Dougsey

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Spring coil problems

#2 Post by Dougsey »

Hi Noah,
That lower arch wire is something I've never seen before. I'm no expert, but usually, you get brackets on all your teeth and a very flexible wire that attaches to each bracket. Over the course of the next few months, your arch wire gets swapped out for a heavier one as your teeth line up and round out.

Maybe you ask your ortho what the plan is. I find mine is very open to discuss the process.

Doug
Click HERE for my journal

rintiq

#3 Post by rintiq »

I've had spring coils as well, but mine never protruded that far out. I would recommend talking to your orthodontist and he may be able to change to a shorter spring, or even use some steel ligatures to tie them down to your brackets! Which mine did. That looks really intrusive to daily life, I can't imagine how difficult it is to talk with that! Hope everything goes well x

ctbracemom

#4 Post by ctbracemom »

I have not had any problems wiht mine. Mine is between 2 teeth where there is a tooth missing. I have learnt not to eat on that side as it bends the wire where the spring is. Maybe ask your doc?
Got my braces on 4 December 2013......hoping they will be off by 4 December 2015!

Noah Castrellon

#5 Post by Noah Castrellon »

Thanks everyone for your input . I have an appointment today at 11 so hopefully it gets resolved. I've asked a few dental assitant friends of mine and they all say it looks wrong. Unfortunately, this the the 3rd time the archwire/spring coil has arched out like this. The other two times it broke simply because i was eating. A few of my friends suggested i be more assertive and make my disappointments known today. We'll see what happens, thank you all again!
Cheers,
Noah