Expander Just In - HELP!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leeann38

Expander Just In - HELP!

#1 Post by leeann38 »

Hi everyone! My name is Lee Ann, and I am a 23 year old college student. I am studying to be a speech language patholgist - and man do I have a speech problem right now!

I just got my upper expander in on Monday, and I can't stand it. It is removable, and I have to remove it to eat and brush, but I wondered if anyone had any coping advice.

You see, it fits into my mouth, covers my upper hard palate, and it also covers the surface of my upper teeth from my incisors back. I can't close my teeth and it is so uncomfortable. Do you know if they make expanders that just sit behind your teeth, or is this something that I just have to get used to? I am going back for a check up on Monday, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you!!

Lee Ann

bracesgrrl

#2 Post by bracesgrrl »

Hi Lee Ann, welcome to Archwired. I have a non-removable expander on the roof of my mouth and I was not able to speak normally for a least two weeks, like maybe even longer to say things like "whiskey". I have a job that requires me to speak with people all over the world ( In English only), I am a client service rep.. but what I mean is that yes, it was difficult at first to communicate with them but then I got used to my expander and now my biggest gripe is that food still manages to get stuck up in there, but it has gotten better than it was when I had it put in 6 months ago, maybe 7 months ago. It will get better, just remember to keep it clean =(i.e. rinse out with water and Listerine) and floss and brush. You'll do great, I'm sure. Shoot, I'm such a baby when it comes to pain, but for a sexy new smile, it's worth every bit of pain. :-}

BracesGrrl :wink:

leeann38

#3 Post by leeann38 »

Haha, thanks. It is getting a little bit easier, but if it was non-removable, I would not be able to wear it. It covers the surface of my upper teeth, so there is no way that I could chew food. Every time I want to eat or drink something, I take it out, eat or drink whatever it is, then I brush my teeth and the expander and I rinse my mouth out and the expander off with listerine. I use ACT at night for the fluoride.

Thanks for the help!