Marzipan goes for the braces at 48! (w/pix of nekkid teeth)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marzipan

Marzipan goes for the braces at 48! (w/pix of nekkid teeth)

#1 Post by Marzipan »

At the ripe old age of 48, I have decided to get braces. I never had them as a child due to the fact that our family had no money for such a thing. Four siblings have lovely teeth. One brother has teeth like mine - on the small side with several spaces. But he's a guy and he doesn't care.

I've had a decent-sized gap between my front teeth forever. In the past few years I noticed that it is widening because one of my front teeth is rotating and turning outward. Also, due to a baby tooth that never fell out on its own and had to be pulled years after it should have been, there is a very large gap on the side. And the darn front teeth also flare out a bit. Although they are not horrible, they are far from attractive, and it is extraordinarily difficult to locate a photo where I am smiling with my teeth showing. When the photo is being snapped, I always give a closed-mouth smile.

I've lived with it this long, but because of a recent combination of dental plan with extra health spending account money that comes with my job and doesn't get used for other purposes (use or lose it), braces will be virtually free.

Reading many posts on this forum, looking at the photos, hearing the "my first day" stories has been interesting and a bit frightening! But I went to the orthodontist to see what could be done, got the assessment, and finally conquered some of my fear.

Today the separators were jammed between my molars. It wasn't that bad. The ortho had said it would feel like pieces of steak between my teeth. At first I thought she meant pieces of stake! The tech who placed the separators said my teeth are really tight and it took awhile. It wasn't fun but wasn't horrid either. They don't hurt so much now, many hours later - mostly they are just annoying.

Next week some of the brackets and perhaps bands will be put on. Then two weeks after that, the rest of the kit will be added. Based on what I have read here, it won't be so much painful as uncomfortable. I do intend to make good use of ibuprofen.

One thing I feel very lucky about - the orthodontist and staff are excellent. They are in a teaching college of dentistry, although I am a private patient and will not have any work done by students. Also she comes very highly recommended. Everyone is very, very nice and patient.

At this point my one regret is that the front gap will be closed. (No regrets about losing the side gaps - those are nasty.) Having put up with it so long, I feel a kinship with everyone who is in my shoes. If I were beautiful like Lauren Hutton, I'd just leave it as is. But I'm not, and the only way to do this will close the gap, as the ortho told me. No way around it.

Yep, I'll miss the gap.

-Marzipan
Last edited by Marzipan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

OBG

#2 Post by OBG »

Welcome aboard!

How are the separators-ready to rip them out yet?
What kind of braces are you getting? You can think of them as a Christmas present to yourself, a gift that truly lasts a lifetime.
Is it true that it is so cold in Iowa that they give the cows anti-freeze :lol: .

wiredinLA

#3 Post by wiredinLA »

Hi Marzipan!

Welcome to the board! :D Congratulations on your decision and, as you say, conquering your fear.
*~*~*~* WiredinLA *~*~*~*
Top braced (ceramics) : Jan. 9, 2006
3rd Adjustment: May 24th, 2006

Marzipan

#4 Post by Marzipan »

So far, so good. Woke up without pain. Yes, now and then I want to floss the annoying things out of my mouth! More so last night, less so this morning. But I can do this. It's going to be worth it. The many members of this board have made it clear they are glad they took the step.

Hi to all who have read my story. :)

Hmmm, someone mentioned what type of braces. I shall have all metal brackets. The ortho told me she prefers working with those, and that's good enough for me. I expect I will enjoy the tin grin. I'm looking forward to colored ligatures.

metalmouth moi

welcome

#5 Post by metalmouth moi »

Hi and welcome Marzipan !
Congrats on taking the plunge into the metal mouth world. This forum is invaluable in terms of support , and information . Good luck and let us know how you're doing .
Cheers
Moi
metal braces upper and lower May 12/05

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

You're in good company here! Welcome and best of luck with your treatment!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Patrick

#7 Post by Patrick »

Hi WiredinLA.

It looks like you and I are going to be getting this started on just about the same day. Small world, but then I guess that atleast 1,000 people get hooked up to braces daily just on the western half of this continent!

I'd be curious to swap notes after we get banded. We'll have to both post on our braces placement days!!! We can share in the "Oh my God what did I just do" response to looking in the mirror!

-Pat

Marzipan

#8 Post by Marzipan »

I am going to post pre-braces photos so I will have a handy reference. My teeth have various gaps. The biggest are on either side of my right upper cuspid (eyetooth), most easily seen in the right profile view. The incisors and lateral incisors also flare out (like buckteeth) in odd directions. In the past few years the right upper incisor has started to rotate and tilt, enlarging the gap between the upper incisors. The red arrow indicates this tooth. The orange arrow points toward the big gap created by a baby cuspid that refused to fall out on its own and was forcibly removed a couple of years later. Blue indicates the right lateral incisor that is most askew.

Front view:

Left profile:

Right profile:

As far as I can tell, my arches are nice and open with good shapes, and the ortho has said nothing about widening them. Apparently the toughest part on me is bringing forward the right upper cuspid. My midline is where it belongs and will look right once the teeth on the right are brought in closer. I have an overbite, and will require a permanent retainer on the upper front teeth to prevent the bottom teeth from pushing them out again.

OBG

#9 Post by OBG »

Certainly seems as though you have a good handle on what is going to take place on your orthodontic journey. You have taken good care of your teeth and they look younger than their years and the braces will only enhance their appearance.

I think we all look forward to watching your progress and sharing any information that may help you along the way.

Keep smiling! :D

Marzipan

#10 Post by Marzipan »

Finished up my one week with separators. At first they didn't hurt. Then... pain. Pain eating. Pain. Annoyance. Wanted to rip them off. Managed to belay that thought.

Now I have molar braces (4) on. In two weeks I get the remainder. Ortho wants to ease me into it. I think that's a good idea. I cannot make the wax stay! So I found a thread about that and will work at it some more. Sounds like using a Q-tip to dry the bracket first may help.

Granola

#11 Post by Granola »

Hi,

Congrats on getting to the molar banding step.
Now I have molar braces (4) on. In two weeks I get the remainder. Ortho wants to ease me into it.
My ortho does things this way too. I will be going through this in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'll be reading with interest.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Marzipan

#12 Post by Marzipan »

Granola, one week into the molar bands and all is well. I figured out how to deploy the wax. The silicone version is much harder to use (at least on the back teeth) than regular wax.

No pain in general. Not even the desire to rip them out - maybe in part because I simply can't. Overly crunchy foods can cause a bit of pain, so I'm adjusting my diet a bit. Brushing and flossing are going okay. No canker sores or anything. So far so good. :)

Granola

#13 Post by Granola »

No pain in general. Not even the desire to rip them out - maybe in part because I simply can't. Overly crunchy foods can cause a bit of pain, so I'm adjusting my diet a bit. Brushing and flossing are going okay. No canker sores or anything. So far so good. :)
Wow, this is such good news. You sound like you are adjusting really well all around. Is is selfish if I say that I hope my experience in a few weeks goes just like yours?

I'm happy for you!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Marzipan

#14 Post by Marzipan »

On Tuesday (12-20-05) I got the brackets on. Actually, the upper and lower incisors are NOT bracketed at this time. I knew already this would be the case, and as I suspected would happen, it looks dumb. I'd rather have all metal everywhere. *sigh* The ortho's plan is to take advantage of my "well-placed" front teeth as anchors or something to bring the upper right cuspid forward. So she doesn't know how long it will take, but until then - no front brackets. And until I have all the brackets, I'm sticking with grey ligs, because I feel pink or purple would look odd on the side teeth but not the front. The clear plastic tubes that the wire runs through in front have the effect of making my lips protrude slightly, making me feel that I look like a frog. Also the upper lip has a way of catching on the way back down after a smile. It's not painful, just stupid-looking!

Meanwhile, eating hasn't been impossible yet, just slightly painful (it's been about 18 hours), but the amount of food that gets stuck in the braces is astounding.

Last edited by Marzipan on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OBG

#15 Post by OBG »

Congrats on your new look.

The nervous anticipation is over and you have a new sparkling smile for Christmas. This gift you have given yourself will last a lifetime. Enjoy this phase of your life and you be surprised how quickly your teeth will move and before you know it your orthodontic journey will be over.

Enjoy the holidays and NO hard candy! :)