Lesdent's story - 1st entry

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lesdents

Lesdent's story - 1st entry

#1 Post by lesdents »

Hi everyone! I'm 20, and a 3rd-year student at the University of Southern California. With financial aid and a little help from my parents, I am finally able to get braces! ( PS, Lesdents means "teeth" in French!)
I will post pictures soon, but here's my situation:

Severe crowding. Upper canines sit above the rest of the teeth as fangs that facilitate better execution of "dracula" costumes for Haloween but are otherwise annoying and unsightly.

For lower teeth, just one fang canine sits in front of the rest, which means that the rest of my teeth are uncentered and crooked.

Yes, I was too poor to afford braces too. I was SO tired of getting comments like "You'd be so pretty if you just did something about those teeth!" (People are so rude!) I avoided smiling and all high-school photos were sans smile. I want a career in politics, so I have to bear a couple years of discomfort and unsightliness to achieve a smile I can bear to show the world.

Although I am a VERY avid USC supporter, I am having my braces done at UCLA because they're less expensive. Actually, the UCLA orthodontics people have been very nice to me despite my Trojan spirit.

Currently, I have spacers on top and bottom. OWWWWWW! Because my teeth are so crowded, the spacers are pushing already-tense teeth against one another even harder so my entire mouth hurts. I can't chew at all, as even the slightest pressure is unbearable. I think the worst thing about the spacers is that they dig into the gums. Also, two have come out and I had to put them back in myself. After this pain, I think childbearing will be a breeze!

To make matters worse, I also have four brackets on top and four on the bottom which are tearing up my mouth. My lips are swollen - I look like I've had collagen injections!

Next week I will (hopefully) get 4 teeth extracted - the ones right behind the canines on top and bottom. I'm actually looking forward to that part, as I think it will takes some of the pressure off the front teeth from the spacers in back. Then I should get all my braces on in 2 weeks - I can't wait to see them start moving!

I will update with photos soon. Today I am at work ( I work in a library ) and I feel awkward every time someone comes up to ask me a reference question. But I just keep telling myself that it's worth it: 2-3 years of pain for 50+ years of being able to smile proudly. It's hard though, as everyone around me is wealthy and therefore have flawless smiles. At least now I can someday join them!

Marzipan

#2 Post by Marzipan »

But I just keep telling myself that it's worth it: 2-3 years of pain for 50+ years of being able to smile proudly.
Hi, Lesdents. I have to agree with your sentiment. It's hard to find pix of me smiling with teeth showing, I've always disliked my teeth, yet I waited until 48! So do it now and be glad you are doing it. :D

Meanwhile, I've been on spacers for 5.5 days now and yep, it hurts. I want to rip the bloody things out of my mouth. Yet others here are assuring me that the spacers are worse than anything, so hang in there. I'll get banded in 1.5 days. From what others say, there will be a week or two of pain, then I'll get used to it and it won't be so bad.