Avarik's Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Avarik

Avarik's Periodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics

#1 Post by Avarik »

I'm a 17 year old male now, a senior in high school who is ready to move atleast 300 miles away to go to college (hoping for MIT!). I decided I wanted braces a month or two ago - however, I wanted to try and get them off before I went off to college. So I started looking for the fastest possible solution - at which time, I came upon this procedure.

My doctor calls it PAOO - Pediodontally Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics. I found it online under the name Wilckodontics, name after the Wilcks brothers who created it. The idea is to force your teeth to go into a healing state, at which time you can move them much quicker. It seems to be the same treatment that anyone with braces gets, except that it all happens faster. Instead of getting them tightened once a month, you get it once every week or two. It requires a periodontist and an orthodontist, or someone who is both (which is what I found.) I was told that the cost can be as high as $14,000, depending mostly on whether or not you can find one doctor to do both parts of the proecude, or if you need two seperate ones. I myself am paying $7,600 + $400 for pictures. That includes everything from the procedure, to the braces, to even the retainers.

December 16, 2005 I had my first consultation. My doctor said that I could try and maximize my insurance benefits by using whatever remains from the 2005 benefits, and use some of the 2006 benefits. This requires that I have surgery on two seperate occasions. Therefore, I'm scheduled to go in on December 28th, 2005 and January 6th, 2006. From the sounds of it, I'll be pretty inactive for around four days after each surgery.

I'll update with pictures a little later. My doctor said that I would most likely be braced for 6-12 months, and if things go incredibly well, I might get them off in as little as 3 months (but he said I shouldn't expect this.) This procedure tends to be more random then regular braces, from what I've found online. My doctor said that he once had a patient in and out of braces in 2 weeks, when he expected 3 months. That was a rare case, though.
Last edited by Avarik on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

How exciting!!!

Please keep us posted! This is a fascinating procedure.

And GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Avarik

#3 Post by Avarik »

How exactly do all of you take pictures, because I had a bit of a hard time...

Anyways, heres the best of what I could get.

Oh, and I'm about 1 hour away from surgery on the bottom half. Little nervous...but I think I'm ok.

If anyone has any suggestions of liquidy, cold, non-dairy foods (thats all I'm allowed to eat the first 2 days) please let me know!

Avarik

#4 Post by Avarik »

Yesterday was surgery day for the top half of my teeth. They also put the braces on, right before surgery. I was on some strong sedatives, and when I got there, they numbed me with a substantial amount of novocaine. I felt practically nothing throughout the entire surgery. Afterwords, they gave me some pain killers to take, and a prescription for vicodin. I had to have someone put ice packs on my mouth for 15 minutes at a time. I myself slept for 5 hours, woke up for 2 hours, and slept again for another 10 hours. I woke up every 4 hours to take pain killers. Also, I've been taking antibiotics. No biggy. The medication upset my stomach a little at first, but that was better as soon as I downed a smoothie I had made for myself.

Today was just an easy going day, with only a small nap. I've felt fine, although I'm still on pain killers (doctor reccomended that I take them for the first 72 hours, even if I think I feel ok. Hes trying to stop the pain before I feel it with these pills). Only real problem was that I was starving, and I had to limit myself to cold, non-dairy foods for the first 24 hours. I can chew a little now, so its ok now.

No regrets thus far.

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

Avarik:

Sounds like you've had quite a journey already! Great that you're feeling ok though! I would suggest having some smoothies! You can try a strawberry bananana smoothies and instead of milk add oj! Lots of great recipes out there!

Good luck with your recovery and Keep us posted!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Avarik

#6 Post by Avarik »

I had my first adjustment today. I found out that they currently have a very thick wire on my teeth, so it doesn't seem like they are at all afraid of moving my teeth too quickly. The odd thing is that I have almost no pain - only one tooth is really sensitive, and it seems to be more to cold then anything else. I was even able to eat pretty normally right after the adjustment. I'm no expert, but it seems like I'll be done even sooner than the estimated 6-12 months.

No real break though, as I'll be having the surgery on the lower arch Friday morning. The first time was pretty easy going, so no worries. The only downside was that I had to sleep for a whole day.

Avarik

#7 Post by Avarik »

Surgery for the bottom was today, and the doctor did a little bit more on the top as well. Sadly, nobody woke me up to take my pain killers after four hours, so I'm hurting a little now. Taking the medication before I hurt was much more effective then taking it after it started to hurt. I did manage to eat, however, and anything cold makes me feel a lot better.

They also re-adjusted the top again, because it had already moved some since my adjustment two days ago. Next adjustment is on Wednesday.

For people who are looking to get this procedure, keep in mind that hey usually do the top and bottom at the same time. However, to be able to collect insurance benefits for both 2005 and 2006, I split it up into to operations.

Speaking of which, the total cost for me was $7600 + $400 for pictures. Overall, I paid a little under $5000 for the braces, procedure, visits, and retainer.

Avarik

#8 Post by Avarik »

Went to the ortho today for my 2nd adjustment. So far, I'm feeling a little bit of pain, but I was able to eat pretty normally about an hour after the adjustment. My ortho commented on how quickly my teeth are moving, and said that I may have my braces off sooner then expected (keep in mind, this is only 2 weeks into my 6-12 month treatment plan.)

Anyways, here are some pictures I took before the adjustment.

hannah164

#9 Post by hannah164 »

Sounds like your recovering from sugery nicely! :D

Great to hear your adjustment went well! :-#) Your teeth look lovely! :thumbsup:

That's wonderful that your ortho told you that you might finish earlier! :dance: Hopefully you do! :wink: Wish my ortho would tell me that, but instead he will only tell me how complicated my case is! :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

Avarik

#10 Post by Avarik »

I went in for another adjustment yesterday. This one was particularly painful, but I don't feel much anymore (~24 hours after the adjustment.) I'm still amazed by how quickly my teeth have been moving. Heres some pictures, around week 4 of treatment.

CelestialVoices

#11 Post by CelestialVoices »

Looking good Avarik! Continued good wishes to you! :)

Avarik

#12 Post by Avarik »

Thanks for the support guys! The change is pretty surprising, even to me. Right after an adjustment, I actually notice visible differences from then until that night!

And thanks for the compliments on the colors. I get them changed every week. Combine that with my rather silly personality, and a dental assistant who loves putting girly colors on my teeth, and you get some wacky color combinations. I think next time is going to be valentines day colors, because its my last adjustment before then.

Avarik

#13 Post by Avarik »

Whew! Its been a while since I've done an update. So heres whats gone on in the past few weeks:

Basically, I'm now almost done (2 1/2 months with braces so far)! I went through the most horrid elastics stage I've ever heard of (I couldn't even open my mouth), but its been worth it. They are now just working on some fine tuning on my teeth, but they estimate that it should all be done in the next few weeks.

Oh, and to those that have contacted me about this procedure, and those thinking about going through with it, I highly reccomend it!

Avarik

#14 Post by Avarik »

Hey there everybody! Sorry for the time gap between updates. Anyways, heres whats been going on:

My teeth are now completely straight, and have been for about a while now. My ortho is working on vertical overlap of teeth, as well as fixing my midline. Progress seems evident between each visit, but it's definatly slowed. Also, it feels as if th surgery isn't as beneficial for the vertical overlap as it was for movement of teeth, but I still go in once a week.

I'll post pictures in a week or two.