Butterfly's story (braced Nov 2/05, debanded 1/1/07) +pix

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

butterfly

#16 Post by butterfly »

KK wrote:and here's hoping that archwire lasts till your next appointment!
Oh well... you won't believe it... One of my back molar brackets came off last night. I called them this morning and they said if it doesn't bother me I can just wait until Wednesday when I will get my expander. My incisor might be bracketed on the same day anyway. This means they will have to remove all of it AGAIN and put it back! My front teeth are extremely sore. I am dreading Wednesday already.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

butterfly

#17 Post by butterfly »

Ok time for some pics!

Here are my 2 months progress pics:

Arch Nov. 2
Arch now

Mouth Nov 2
Mouth now

Smile Nov 2
Smile now (well not really.. I don't actually smile (YET) :shock:)

And the famous powerchained gap:
That's how it still looked on the day of my adjustment
This is 8 hours later! Believe it or not!

I think my midline improved a bit as well.

On wednesday I will get a spring (coil?) to open the big gap more and fit the incisor. The incisor might get his own bracket!! Probably they will attach it to the archwire with a rubber band. I cannot wait for it to move!

fins

#18 Post by fins »

Sorry about your bad experience! That's a lot to go through. How is your metal powerchain working? I have a different configuration but the other day my molar hurt so I was wondering if it moved (or tried to). Is yours holding ok?

That was a pretty good size gap to close that fast. I'm waiting for a smaller one that is taking longer than usual to close up but I think it's getting there now.
fins

butterfly

#19 Post by butterfly »

Second adjustment part #2

Today I went the ortho again and got some more mouth equipment.

My double parked lateral is now finally connected to the archwire! At least by a rubber band Image
The small sized metal bracket it only temporary. As soon as the lateral is outside it will be replaced by a ceramic one. As an addition I got a spring to open up more space. They said it is the most gentle spring. Image

I got a removable expander on the lowers although they initially said I would not get any expanders Image This thing is horrible. I cannot speak S and SH at all, sounding like a 80 years old with a denture. At least I can remove the thing to eat! The goal is 3 screw twists a week. As soon as I finish with the expander the lowers will be bracketed.Image

Right now my uppers don't hurt but the lowers are pretty bad.ImageI really want to remove the expander but I better leave it there. The more I wear it the better it will be.

I got a small box and some retainer brite with the expander. They gave me some plastic stick to pop it out. I have long nails and there is no way I will be able to pop the expander out with them Image

JN_Woods

#20 Post by JN_Woods »

butterfly,

Your teeth are really moving. I think your "double parked laterals" bracket and spring setup is cute. It will move into place faster than you think.

Your lower expander looks like it would be horrible. I'm so sorry. My expanders suck, but they aren't gigantic and I don't have to twist anything. I hope you get used to it soon. You're lucky you can take yours out when eating though because (especially early on) food gets caught in mine and it's rough picking it out, especially in a public restroom. Did the ortho say how long you'll have your expander?

Keep up the great work!

Jen

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

butterfly

#21 Post by butterfly »

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement :D

I don't really know about how many months, the guess was 4 (but nothing about stabilizing). It stopped hurting now but who knows what will be tomorrow when I turn the screw :shock:

The spring is really not so bad so far. It just looks ugly and big.

butterfly

#22 Post by butterfly »

A small update :)

I decided to take the expander thing as easy as possible: I will turn half a screw every day and skip one day a week instead of making 3 full turns once a week. I did half a screw this morning and it wasn't that bad! Speaking hasn't improved though. I had to call America so I removed the expander for a short time. My accent is very funny even without the expander :D

We should hold a "expander speech training meeting" every week on skype ;)

bbsadmin

#23 Post by bbsadmin »

You sure are going through a lot, Butterfly, but your teeth are coming along nicely. Hang in there! :wink:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

hannah164

#24 Post by hannah164 »

WOW Butterfly!

Looks like you've got a lot of new gear in your mouth to deal with now! :shock: Sorry to hear that your lower expander hurts so bad! :( Hope you get used to it soon! :D

Congratulations on finally getting your double parked lateral attached to the archwire with a rubber band! It looks quite painful! :? I've also had to deal with something like that for my impacted canines! It hurt very bad but it did its job! :roll:

Good luck with your progress! ANd hope you adjust quickly to your new mouth gadgets and have not quite as much pain! :pinkbraces:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

butterfly

#25 Post by butterfly »

Small 2 weeks update

My spring is working nicely. I can see progress after only 2 weeks:
ImageImage
I'm getting more and more confident that there will be room for this lateral!

BTW: On the pic you can see how bad a rubber band stains when you have black coffee, red wine, curry and mustard :oops: Since it is invisible I don't care and eat whatever I want. I will never get clear ligs after I saw this. :D

My expander magically disappeared from my mouth after 2 weeks of agony and hate towards this object. I couldn't speak, swallow, sleep. It poked me and my teeth hurt. Now I sometimes don't know if I already took it out for eating or not. I even ate with it a few times by mistake. It is really amazing how the body accepts foreign objects as a part of itself.

I turn half a screw every day and it doesn't hurt at all.

hannah164

#26 Post by hannah164 »

Butterfly!

That is some awesometacular progress you're having! Congratulations! :thumbsup: :dance: :jump: :banana:

Great to hear you're adjusting to your lower expander!

Good luck with the rest of your progress! :BigGrin:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment is 2/1/06 where they will bond a bracket to my cuspid which was impacted!!!!

butterfly

#27 Post by butterfly »

Thanks KK and hannah164 for your encouragement and nice words! You just rule the journal threads :)

Kell

#28 Post by Kell »

I just looked through your pictures. Your teeth are looking great. I am so amazed at the things these braces can do. It really is facinating. I hope you continue to have great progress.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

nimo

#29 Post by nimo »

That's some awesome progress! My braces go on in three weeks, and due to an impacted canine I have the feeling I'll be dealing with springs too. Glad to see things are going well for you. :)
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

belmikry

#30 Post by belmikry »

oh wow- that's great progress as well! and yes, are teeth are very similar! :shock:

does the spring hurt? I wonder if i'll end up with one- haven't seen much moving of that incisor so far, then again it hasn't been that long- I got lucky- the wire just fit on the incisor when they put the wire through- it took her 30 minutes to get it in, but sure enough [believe me I was getting nervous at this point] the little sucker got in :P

it's great to see someone with the same problem as me- and seeing your progress makes me excited! :)

...now lets get these incisors moving! :lol:
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom