Decisionmade's (D.M's) story:summer '07 update

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

#151 Post by fins »

Hey decision made- I don't want to butt in but please tell your ortho about your expander and the tight fit. It shouldn't be uncomfortable and they need to look at it. I had an unfortunate experience with an appliance so please let them know before it gets worse. Best of luck with your treatment
fins

Granola

#152 Post by Granola »

Hi there--just wanted to let you know I stopped in to read this page (though I haven't read your whole story quite yet). Sounds like you are seeing some fantastic progress.

You are getting your expander out the day before I get my braces--that will be a happy week for both of us. :jump:
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

decisionmade

#153 Post by decisionmade »

thanks for the input fins..I spoke with my ortho about it and she siad if it contines to both me or become even the least bit worse to call and they will take it out early..luckily (although the idea of having it taken out today is very appealing) its not getting any worse..she also advised me to brush the area completely and gently..some of my trouble could be plack build up between the metal and my skin..yuck!...I do think some of the inflamatio has decreaed..thank goodness. Many thanks for your concern:)
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

decisionmade

#154 Post by decisionmade »

I've had braces about 11 weeks now..photo update!..My lowers are really moving..
Here I am first day with braces:
and here I am today at 11 weeks

The extraction site you can see on the right is shrinking slowly and I am now wearing an elastic from top to bottom on the left..wow photos really are the way to see movement..and its been less than 3 out of 24 mos..very exciting!

and today!
Last edited by decisionmade on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

weird_wired

#155 Post by weird_wired »

Oh wow - I cannot believe the speed your lowers moved at ;)

katemm06

#156 Post by katemm06 »

DM,

Your teeth look beautiful :D Just in time for the holidays too. Way to go!

katemm06

#157 Post by katemm06 »

One other question I have for you DM: How long do you have to wear the elastics for?

decisionmade

#158 Post by decisionmade »

Thats a good question Kate..I didn't even ask my ortho that :oops: but honestly i forget I have it..really easy to manage..I even wear it while eating and just change it 2x a day...I'll definately ask that at my next appointmnet..now u hav me wondering if I'll be wearing it for the duration..i've been so focused on getting this expander out my next appointment :D

Do you have elastics?

katemm06

#159 Post by katemm06 »

I only asked about the elastics because I was told at the beginning of my ortho treatment that at some point later on I would need to wear them. I have a feeling though that in my case it would be after my second jaw surgery! But it's good to know that you had no problems with them.

As for your expander, I'm glad its coming out permanently really soon :jump: That's awful that it's making your mouth so inflammed :( I hope the same thing that does not happen to me once the top wire goes on.

decisionmade

#160 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Kate..The inflamation has gone down..I bet you'll be fine with yours..I just looked at your pics again and it is just amazing isn't it? with the pictures side by side like that you can really see when they began to noticably come together...
I'm finding I'm developing spaces between my lower teeth and flossing is a snap now(well almost)..i still can't imagine I'd need these braces for 2 yrs at the rate things are going...but I suppose it is better to overestimate when it comes to getting them off..are you getting metal or acrylic on the top.. I'm still glad I got the acrylic but they really are so darn bulky as people say....well anyway thanks for your continued support..Have a great holiday!

katemm06

#161 Post by katemm06 »

Thanks DM! I'm so happy with my progress. I've had the clear brackets on since October which has been annoying because they are not doing anything! If you recall my ortho and surgeon had a difference of opinion about the top wire.

But finally the wait will be over this Tuesday when the wire gets put in :D I had to push the ortho appointment back a day because of finals but it's almost here!!!

It's funny you mentioned about having gaps on your bottom teeth. I have one space that only developed after the braces were put on last March. It's been there for quite a while now so I think I'm gonna remind them about it on tuesday.

Have a good week.

decisionmade

#162 Post by decisionmade »

Oh my gosh Kate so that means you get your upper wire tomorrow?! how exciting!..Yes now I do remember the dilemma about your differing opinions from your os and ortho..such a drag you've had to have the brackets without the wire..These days I just live for my appointments and hopefully with the holiday time will just fly...Good luck tuesday!...

katemm06

#163 Post by katemm06 »

Hey DM,

Everything went well with the upper wire. There was only a little pressure for a few days when I would eat but I'm back to normal now :D I received a lot of compliments from my family over Christmas who had not seen me since I had the huge gap. It really made me feel happy to know that I no longer look "goofy."

My orthodontist told me that my expander would probaly not come out until April which was a huge surprise because I was under the impression it would be removed in February. I will meet with my oral surgeon in early January and I'm curious to hear when he thinks it should be taken out. But if it has to stay until April at least it's not forever!!!

Take care and Happy New Year!

decisionmade

#164 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Kate and Happy new year! glad to hear all went well with your upper wire and I hope you are continuing to adjust well...I now have less than two weeks until I get the expander out...thankgoodness! for a grand total of 6 mos....I just can't wait for that day! My upper arch is soo straight now that I can't imagine needing the braces for a total of 2 years as predicted but we'll see..Aren't you so incredibly glad to be through with the goofy stage with the expander.....I know I am! I'm already loving my new smile:)..Have a great week

decisionmade

#165 Post by decisionmade »

Today I had my first cleaning with braces AND the expander and it wasn't bad at all...Everything looks great especially considering all thats going on in my mouth! while my dentist knows my ortho recommends cleanings every 3 mos. w/ braces..He said he beleived I could do it every six if I wanted because I'm doing such a good job keeping everything clean and healthy :D ..so I settled for every 4 for now...

so one week form today and my expander is out! I'm sure I'll have lots to say after that happens:)