Stargirl's Story & Pics - Braces OFF!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NotBob1

#46 Post by NotBob1 »

I just have to say that after reading this thread from the start until now is inspirational. Your progress, Stargirl, is amazing!

Not once did you have a complaint, either.....(Well, except not getting the expander out, but that's understandable!!)

My upper jaw is crowded a bit too, though maybe not as much as yours. (was) It was my understanding that expanders only work with growing palates, yet there are a TON of adults with them out here...Did you have surgery on your palate??

I'm just curious because, as we all know, sometimes you get surprises on your adjustment appointments!!! I think that an expander would be quite a surprise to me, to say the least!

Also, how long did it take you to be able to talk around the expander to a point of where people didn't notice much?
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

stargirl

#47 Post by stargirl »

Thanks, NotBob1!
I did not have surgery on my palate, as I'm only 16... but even using an expander was sort of taking a chance, because the growth of my palate is probably done or close to it. It seemed to work pretty well, considering.

As for talking with the expander, it never really got to a point where people couldn't notice my strange speech... it was always really awkward to talk during those 6 or 7 months...
However, after about 3 or 4 weeks, it was much better than the first day. You might have no problems with your speech at all! One of the things I had the most problems with was a "y" sound, like in "you". Kind of an odd one...
I wish you luck if you find yourself with an expander! Let's hope you don't have any "surprises"!

And now, for my latest adjustment, on Jan. 4th:
- Had an x-ray to check out root parallelism. Not too bad, a couple "curved roots". (Not that I know what that is supposed to mean, can anyone help me on this one? Is it bad?).
- No bracket repositioning because the ortho was on vacation and there was a substitute orthodontist. :lol:
And now, pictures, a couple days late 'cause I thought I'd take them after my cleaning at the dentist yesterday. Hmm... they look a bit yellow though? Bad lighting...

That's it! Next adjustment is Feb. 13th... I also have to get a consult soon to get my wisdom teeth out! :cry:

NotBob1

#48 Post by NotBob1 »

It's unlikely I will end up with one.... I just noticed that several adults out here had expanders and I was curious as to when they were used on adults. My guess is that they are only used with surgery for an adult and my treatment (luckily) does not include surgery. (although things change....) :yikes:

You are lucky to be doing this all at 16!! I did it at 16 and here I am again.
Pat

stargirl

#49 Post by stargirl »

Yes, I think expanders are most usually used in adults with surgery. Without surgery, all the expander does is push the teeth outwards, tipping them. It doesn't do anything to the palate.

stargirl

#50 Post by stargirl »

Well, I was slightly bored and I decided that it might be interesting if I did a comparison post.

Front:

Strange! I can't even remember my teeth looking like this or what they looked like before braces! How did I live without them?

Now:
Upper right arch (left in the picture!) still needs some work... come down, teeth!

Top Arch:

Ahhh! Terrible! I can't look! Those laterals... ew. Expander, double ew.

Now:
We're almost there now.. come on right lateral! So close to being nicely in the arch!

Bottom Arch:

Yucky twisted canines! Look, they're almost completely sideways!

Now:
A few months of springs later, and they're normal! Where did all that space come from?

And there you have it. Seeing this makes me happy... and feel like I have made progress, although it doesn't always feel like I am.

hannah164

#51 Post by hannah164 »

Stargirl:

You are definitely seeing some hecka awesome progress there! Congratulations! :thumbsup: :dance: :banana:

I've actually noticed your progress all along but I'm glad you're really seeing how far you've come so far! :wink: Remind me again how long you've had braces for, I've totally forgotten!

I really don't feel like I'm making much progress at all even after almost 21 months! Okay, only about 3 of those have been wiht bottom braces! :roll: But hopefully I'll really begin to notice more improvement! :D

Good luck with the rest of your treatment!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was 1/11/06 but now is rescheduled to 1/21/06

stargirl

#52 Post by stargirl »

Thanks guys!

Seeing how far I've come is cool.... I love my braces! :-#)

Hannah, I've had my braces for a little over 9 months... it seems like it was only a while ago I got them on! But at the same time, it feels like it's been forever...

Only 9 - 15 more months to go!

Dodger(UK)

#53 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Looks like you've made great progress already, stargirl ;) Your laterals have certainly rotated nicely, and brought back into line with your other teeth. Laterals are great aren't they. They are so accomodating, when it comes to ortho. Hope you keep getting great results for the rest of your treatment :)

stargirl

#54 Post by stargirl »

So, I had another adjustment today... it was quite annoying.

First of all... I had 3 brackets repositioned, my upper right lateral, lower right lateral, and my lower right canine.

And then, she decides that she wants the brackets on my upper right repositioned in order to bring them down. So the upper right central and lateral got new brackets. (My lateral has now had 4 different brackets, :lol: )

Yay, the right lateral is coming into position already!

All goes well, the ortho checks it and decides she wants to shape/file my upper left central... to make it more even with my right one.

But now... my right central is longer than the left - the one that was filed? It looks as though it has further to come down too, judging by the angle of my wire/position of the bracket. I'm very confused...

NotBob1

#55 Post by NotBob1 »

Stargirl,
You likely have the most progress on the board. It is truly amazing how far your teeth have come.....
Pat

Flora2006

#56 Post by Flora2006 »

Your teeth are looking great. Amazing progress!! :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

stargirl

#57 Post by stargirl »

Aw... thanks you guys!
NotBob1 wrote:Stargirl,
You likely have the most progress on the board. It is truly amazing how far your teeth have come.....
I wouldn't say the most progress on the board! I'm often jealous of other's peoples progress! But thanks for saying that anyways... it makes me feel happy! :D

hannah164

#58 Post by hannah164 »

Stargirl!

Your smile is lookin' lovely! :dance: Havin' some great progress there! :-#)

Kind of funny about your lateral having 4 different brackets! :lol: I'm not sure I quite understand why but that's ok! :?

I'm actually finally starting to see some progress after 22 months! :shock: :D :wink:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

Carrie1229

#59 Post by Carrie1229 »

Stargirl,
YOUR TEETH LOOK AMAZING!!! I am new here and I was looking at all of your posts fromt the beginning...AWESOME!!!!

~Carrie1229

stargirl

#60 Post by stargirl »

hannah164 wrote:Kind of funny about your lateral having 4 different brackets! :lol: I'm not sure I quite understand why but that's ok! :?
They've had to keep putting on new brackets in a better position to make that tooth move where they wanted it to be. I had the original bracket, then it was changed... and then at my adjustment on monday it was replaced again - twice! The ortho decided it wasn't quite right.
Carrie1229 wrote:Stargirl,
YOUR TEETH LOOK AMAZING!!! I am new here and I was looking at all of your posts fromt the beginning...AWESOME!!!!
Welcome! And thanks! Glad you enjoyed my story!