Slawdawg's Journal

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Slawdawg

#16 Post by Slawdawg »

So no pictures...gotta try again...still trying to figure this thing out...thanks for your patience, all.
Braces: Feb 1, 2006
SARPE: April 5, 2006

godawgs

#17 Post by godawgs »

hey slawdawg,
do/did u go to UGA? i graduated from UGA in 2003.
i hope your surgery goes well.
Braces on March 7, 2006
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 mos
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10032

Slawdawg

#18 Post by Slawdawg »

OK, the long-awaited photos...please notice the beautiful red and black ligs!

And here we have a lovely example of your basic RPE...

There, now...that should do it...

Slawdawg

#19 Post by Slawdawg »

godawgs,
here's my sordid UGA story...when I graduated HS, the low brass section leader for the Redcoat Band came to one of my high school games to recruit me...my best friend went to UGA, needed a roommate, and his father owned a condo on Talmadge Street...my girlfriend at the time went there and rented the condo next to my best friend...you would think I would have the best situation ever! Unfortunately, my piano teacher talked me into attending GSU (the real one, downtown Atlanta) and thus I have the only regret for my 38 years on this planet...is anyone other than me crying now?
I have always been a dawg, will always be a dawg, and currently teach at a middle school whose mascot is the dawgs...so I never had the opportunity to attend the school, but spent plenty of time there in the late 80's getting into as much trouble as I could find...[/quote]

Brandyleigh35

#20 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

OMG Slawdawg,
I'm so jealous! That is the smallest RPE I have ever seen. I would love to have one that tiny! Mine is a beast! Did you get to see my expansion pics? Take a look at my blog and check them out. My arch is so nice and round now! Soon yours will be the same! Wooo Hooo!

Brandy

Slawdawg

#21 Post by Slawdawg »

Kiwi...
I do so love how you seem to keep up with and encourage everyone who posts. The name thingy caomes from an American delight I'm suprised you haven't heard of...a hot dog with cole slaw on it. Cole slaw is a mixture of fresh shredded cabbage, fresh shredded carrots, mayonnaise, and sweet pickle relish. At least that's how we make it in my family. Love the hot dog with cheese and slaw. It's actually a nickname I picked up in high school since my last name is Slaughter, my friends changed it to "Slawdawg" and it kind of stuck. So much so, my younger brother was called "Li'l Slawdawg" when he was in school.

Brandy...
I have been following your blog rather closely. I hope everything goes as well for me as it has for you. The expansion and nice rounded arch are beautiful! It's going to feel really strange when my molars start hitting like they're supposed to. I'm not sure of how the procedure will be done, but after seeing your process, I certainly have lots of questions for the doc when I go for the preop on March 30. Thanks again for the information and encouragement.

Brandyleigh35

#22 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Glad the blog has been helpful Slawdawg!
Yes do ask your doctor about your procedure. The more informed you are the less stressed out you will be with this whole thing. I have found from my research that there are a variety of different ways to do this surgery, some a bit more invasive than others. So it is just good to know how your OS is going to approach it.

It is a strange feeling when your teeth start to touch on the outside edges as opposed to the inside edges. Good but strange! My mouth feels so much bigger! LOL... It is most noticible to me of course, and while I feel like my smile is gigantic it is a very subtle change to those who know me. I'm rather happy about that as I was wondering how this whole procedure would change my appearance. So far it has been very little, and the changes that have happened are good!

Keep us posted, I would love to hear what they say at the Pre-op appt.

Brandy

Slawdawg

#23 Post by Slawdawg »

Pre-op meeting was this Thursday and boy, did I have a lot of questions. Unfortunately, I didn't write them down, so I forgot many of them. I got the most important bits, though. First, I will be completely knocked out during the surgery...Yea! I was afraid I might just be in La-La Land, but I'll be leaving La-La and head straight for Unconscious City. Next, I'll only be expanding about 5 - 6 mm...Yea! This means I'll do a couple of cranks a day for about a week and then I'll be done! Also, while the doctor is in, he'll be yanking two upper wisdom teeth. Might as well "git 'r done" while he's got the chance. The good doctor claims I can eat pretty much anything that doesn't hurt the day after surgery, but I've stocked up on potatoes and grits (yum, yum!) as well as protein drinks for at least a few days. This weekend, I'll be enjoying chips and salsa, pizza, and maybe even a steak before the big day. I'm still nervous as hell, but looking forward to the other side. Thanks again to all those who have been there and shared their journeys. You have been a geat source of comfort.

Brandyleigh35

#24 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Slawdawg,
Will you be in the hospital? Just and FYI, with the I.V sedation I did not feel nor remember much of anything, AND I had no after effects from anethesia to overcome.

5-6mm is not very much, I'm sure you will do fine, and expansion will go by quickly. Keep us posted ok?

Brandy

Brandyleigh35

#25 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Good luck with your SARPE today Slawdawg. Keep us posted on how it went and how you are doing!

Brandy

Slawdawg

#26 Post by Slawdawg »

Well. I'm home. What an experience! I'm currently still a little loopy from the pain meds, but I'll share a little now about how things went.
Arrived at Northside Hospital in Atlanta at 5:30, got a lovely IV margarita at about 7:00 and was wheeled back to surgery around 7:30. Once I climbed onto the operating table, I remember nothing at all until I heard a nurse say, "Deep breaths, Mr. Slaughter." I was in and out of it for about an hour or so and all I remember is a nurse rubbing moisturizer on my lips and reminding me to breathe. Around 10:30, I was a bit more conscious and wheeled to the extended recovery room. The doctor decided that because of my sleep apnea and weigh, it would be best fro me to stay the night. It was a very restless night, but I'm glad I stayed. I was sick twice vomiting the blood that had drained into my stomach during surgery. Not at all unpleasant, but I'm glad I was at the hospital and not in my room. Also, my throat was very dry and I had to drink a bit of water every five minutes or so. Since I was drinking so much water, that meant getting up to pee about every thirty minutes. The doctor had also requested that I be hooked up to a CPAP for the night, but the one they provided had no mist attachment, so it made my throat even dryer. THis was not acceptable, so I gave up on that. I'll try sleeping with my own tonight. Been eating lots of liquid stuff...tomato soup, chicken broth, and fruit juices. The grits this morning were a wecome treat! It still hurts to swallo anything substantial since my tongue puches against the appliance and causes more pressure than I want to handle. I'm trying to decide what level of pain medication I need (I have three different levels fom severe pain down to advil.) Also, I need to do some light brushing and swishing with salt water and I'm not looking forward to that. Finally, when I close my mouth and blow, I get a cute bubbling sensation between my upper lip and jaw. Is this common? Seems my head is leaking. Oh, well. Not ahorrible expeience at all, just a little more that I expected. I go back Wednesday for a turn and to learn how to do it myself. Then I'll check back in on Monday and Thursday of the next week and the turning should be done. Then the healing begins and hopefully, I will have the device removed before returning to school in August! Thanks again, Brandy and the rest of you who have provided so much information and encouragment. I would have seriously chickened out last week were it not for you guys!

Slawdawg

#27 Post by Slawdawg »

Well. I'm home. What an experience! I'm currently still a little loopy from the pain meds, but I'll share a little now about how things went.
Arrived at Northside Hospital in Atlanta at 5:30, got a lovely IV margarita at about 7:00 and was wheeled back to surgery around 7:30. Once I climbed onto the operating table, I remember nothing at all until I heard a nurse say, "Deep breaths, Mr. Slaughter." I was in and out of it for about an hour or so and all I remember is a nurse rubbing moisturizer on my lips and reminding me to breathe. Around 10:30, I was a bit more conscious and wheeled to the extended recovery room. The doctor decided that because of my sleep apnea and weigh, it would be best fro me to stay the night. It was a very restless night, but I'm glad I stayed. I was sick twice vomiting the blood that had drained into my stomach during surgery. Not at all unpleasant, but I'm glad I was at the hospital and not in my room. Also, my throat was very dry and I had to drink a bit of water every five minutes or so. Since I was drinking so much water, that meant getting up to pee about every thirty minutes. The doctor had also requested that I be hooked up to a CPAP for the night, but the one they provided had no mist attachment, so it made my throat even dryer. THis was not acceptable, so I gave up on that. I'll try sleeping with my own tonight. Been eating lots of liquid stuff...tomato soup, chicken broth, and fruit juices. The grits this morning were a wecome treat! It still hurts to swallow anything substantial since my tongue puches against the appliance and causes more pressure than I want to handle. I'm trying to decide what level of pain medication I need (I have three different levels fom severe pain down to advil.) Also, I need to do some light brushing and swishing with salt water and I'm not looking forward to that. Finally, when I close my mouth and blow, I get a cute bubbling sensation between my upper lip and jaw. Is this common? Seems my head is leaking. Oh, well. Not ahorrible expeience at all, just a little more that I expected. I go back Wednesday for a turn and to learn how to do it myself. Then I'll check back in on Monday and Thursday of the next week and the turning should be done. Then the healing begins and hopefully, I will have the device removed before returning to school in August! Thanks again, Brandy and the rest of you who have provided so much information and encouragment. I would have seriously chickened out last week were it not for you guys!

Brandyleigh35

#28 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey Slawdawg,
Good to hear you survived the SARPE! Its all downhill from here man! I didn't realize that you also have Sleep apnea. I have been having a heck of a time sleeping as I cannot use that CPAP machine......I just can't get used to all that stuff on my face and around my neck etc. Rubberbands and hooks are out of the question so basically I'm just not sleeping very well. YOu will have to let me know if you notice that you can breathe better once you start to heal. One advantage of this surgery for some people is increased air flow through the sinuses due to the increased width of the palate (which is basically the floor of the sinuses. )

Sorry you got sick while in the hospital, but like you said better that you were there being monitored rather than at home. Eating is a little rough for the first few days. Things feel weird and out of whack, and well just achey in general! Do you have a gap now? Don't be afraid to take the pain meds if you really need them. Trying to suffer with the pain can really wear you out and slow your healing. Listen to your body and you should do fine! Congratulations on not chickening out!

Brandy

fran1971

RPE

#29 Post by fran1971 »

HI,

I was searching the net for info on the RPE and this forum was exactly what I was hoping for. Just got my RPE installed today at the ortho and man does it feel weird. Having trouble swallowing and talking. Feels like I cant get rid of all the saliva in my mouth when I do swallow. Dont know how I will be able to eat anything like this. Can anybody tell me if they experienced this feeling to and how long does this last? :?

Brandyleigh35

#30 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Check out my blog (the link under my name) it follows the whole RPE from beginning to SARPE.....

Brandy