Rage has avoided jaw surgery…(Pix update 07/11/08)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OBG

#1 Post by OBG »

wearing braces will be a snap in light of your experience of playing hockey against the men.

Shawnie

#2 Post by Shawnie »

Hi and welcome Rage! I enjoyed reading your story. I hope that you are able to get rid of the pain in your jaw that you now have. I wish you the best of luck.

This board is the best and I think you will find lots of support as I have here.

Take Care
Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

shaynesgirl

#3 Post by shaynesgirl »

Hi again rage31, I replied to you on another thread but I came over to read your story and just had to say thanks for sharing your pics and journey so far...

Wow, I admire your courage, it's just awesome that you're taking these steps to remove the cause of your pain and discomfort. I also found I had pain and "locking" of my jaw in my 20's. My ortho says that it is actually quite common for that age for someone with my jaw "status" if you will...I found that most pain and discomfort disappeared after the age of 30. I imagine though that the injury you have sustained has complicated things for you and brought it all to a head... So I will be closely following your story...I wish you all the very best :)
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

OBG

#4 Post by OBG »

Happy to hear that the pain is subsiding!

Each case is different but I wore hi-pull headgear and when my back molars were banded I had to go through the spacers thing again, but they didn't seem to be as bad as when I first got them for my front molars. I didn't get my second molars banded until about 6 months into my treatment.

I know this is sometimes hard to believe when you are just getting your braces but most people don't really notice them that much. The people that do notice are either past members of the club and admire you for going through the process for it validates our decision to do it, and those who are curious because they are interested in the orthodontic process but have not yet gotten over that hump and decided to get it done.

Hang in there and keep your stick on the ice.

shaynesgirl

#5 Post by shaynesgirl »

Did any one that had 8 spacers put in also have 8 molar bands put on? I know I need two sets of molar bands on my top, for the headgear. I was wondering if they will be able to get both sets of bands on, or will I have to use spacers again before they can band the way backs. I am pretty sure I will only have one set of molar bands on my bottoms.
Rage, I had 8 spacers put in before the braces. I now have 3 molar bands, 2 on top, 1 on bottom. I still have 2 spacers around one bottom molar as the original spacers broke before I went in to have the braces and bands applied, and consequently didn't do the job for that particular tooth :(

Anyway, to answer your question I will be ending up with 4 molar bands after using 8 spacers. Headgear has not been mentioned to me by the ortho, however a "bite corrector" is slated for my future treatment, hence the bands.

I am glad to hear that you are feeling good and I'm wishing you all the best for next week.
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi!

I've never had spacers put in as I have brackets on my last teeth but I've never heard a good thing about them. It's a good thing they will be off in 5 days.

Good to hear that your jaw hasn't been bothering you too much these past few days. I can't imagine being in pain because of spacers and jaw!!

Keep us posted and hopfeully those 5 days will go by fast! :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

OBG

#7 Post by OBG »

Nervous anticipation and excitement. Unfortunately sounds like you over did it and ended up with a migraine. I have had both braces and migraines and the migraines are the worst.

Tomorrow will come and go just like every other day in your life and you will be better off for it. You have to admit that anticipating the orthodontic experience takes some of the boredom out of your day.

I know it is easier said than done but try to relax and enjoy the start of your journey. Many of us have done it as adults and we do not regret our decision re: braces.

I bet you check the mirror in your car many times after your appt tomorrow and try not to wear out your tongue as you rub it against your new appliances. (any member of the club will tell that is the norm for the first day)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dexter

Hi Rage!"

#8 Post by Dexter »

Hi and Welcom e :D

I say Good Luck for your ''Brace Day'' :D
-Davy-

OBG

#9 Post by OBG »

Over 4 hours, wow! Well congrats on your official b-day. Needless to say they will feel huge for awhile but somehow they will shrink the longer you wear them. (Except in new social encounters then they revert back to their huge size.)

Wear them in good health and try to enjoy the experience. In the near future you will be giving advice to the next anxious newbie. Did you get Avalanche colored ligs?

shaynesgirl

#10 Post by shaynesgirl »

Rage, congratulations! Happy to hear you are feeling good. Now that you have braces, the spacers are just a memory.

It's taken me almost 2 weeks to feel like I can't "feel" my braces anymore..the braces almost feel like a natural part of me now.

Glad that you are feeling better :D
35 yr-old mother of 2
Braced 5/4/06
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

OBG

#11 Post by OBG »

good job of describing the process in detail. Anyone anticipating getting braces should read your thread. I am sure you are excited about your new look and needless to say you wear them well but get your ID ready when you order a drink.

Keep us posted.

OBG

#12 Post by OBG »

congrats on the hat trick! Apparently the braces have not an adverse effect on your shot. ( the Red Wings could have used you.) Did it take a while to get used to the new mouth guard?

Hang in there the food thing takes some time but it will be worth it.

pucca26

#13 Post by pucca26 »

Hi rage31, may I ask you a question? Didn’t you ortho tell you anything about the piercing tongue? A girl told me that her ortho refused to have her as a patient in case she didn’t take it off. It’s very bad for your health.
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

Flora2006

#14 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi Rage!

Taking pics is a great idea! I take them every week...it keeps me inspired, especially when I see some kind of movement.

I'm like you these days...lots of pain/discomfort/soreness...but I guess we just have to deal with it. Hopefully it will get better real soon because pain in the mouth really is tirying! ;)

Good luck with everything :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

OBG

#15 Post by OBG »

I think just about everyone who had bands placed on back molars got to experience the torture of those cleats on the inside of the bands. I think their sole purpose is to turn your tongue into hamburger. I had eight molar bands and each one had a cleat on the inside. I wore braces for almost 4 years (two different times)and never once was the cleat used for anything other than to multilate, swell and otherwise just torment my tongue.

I seem to remember the irratation and pain lasted about three weeks for me.

hang in there, it will get better!