Future Soldier With Braces!?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

armyofone

Future Soldier With Braces!?

#1 Post by armyofone »

Hello Everyone,

I been reading on this forum since I had my braces on (mid January) and I must say you guys are the best and really supportive! So anyways I enlisted for the Army before I had my braces on, and now I’m supposes to be leaving in June and now although I my ortho and my recruiter both know my situation my recruiter wants me to take them off early, haha. But that wont happen, so I guess in the mean time I could use the support and do my part in this community =D. Okay so anyways here is my story, Its been 3 months since I had braces, and I have not notice any dramatic changes so far..and I’m starting to feel really discourage, my teeth looks okay before… but now it seems like its gotten worse, is this a common side effect? And I had this coil on forever, any Ideas when will the actually move the impacted canine? My ortho told me that the time frame is about 16-18 months, you think its true? Or it might be longer? Thanks for your support and your feedback in advance! If you need me to post any more pictures let me know. THANK YOU and GOD BLESS

Image[/img]

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi, welcome to the board :)

Don't worry, things do have to get worse before getting better. I have a canine in a crossbite position and its going to be aligned in 2 months. I've had my braces for 3 months today and I've seen a lot of progress with my canine. I had no springs installed because I had the space for my canine, so my ortho was just moving it into its space. In your case, space needs to be created so maybe that is why its taking longer. But things are happenning. Everyone's tissue responds differently; some see movement really quickly while others have to be a bit more patient. Nonetheless, movement is occurring.

Good luck with the army and keep us posted with your treatment and all :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

armyofone

#3 Post by armyofone »

haha thanks flora, wow I wish my teeth moved as fast as yours...I hate this coil. I just wish it would get moving already!

OneTime

#4 Post by OneTime »

Lol...The recruiter told me this. He said I can't enlist if I'm brace. That is only through recruit training. But after when I'm graduated. I can restart braces agian after. I just can't have them during boot camp...

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

missingu

#5 Post by missingu »

This is a direct quote from my email correspondence with Richy Rosado, a recruiter for the U.S. Army (regarding potential soldiers):

"If they qualify for enlistment, they can enlist with their braces but must have them removed prior to being sent to basic training." (date April 10, 2006).

I didn't pursue why, but probably because of the high contact and physical activity of boot camp where braces could be a risk for more injury than already at risk. To a certain extent I do understand it, but maybe the Army could have an ortho consultant to suggest mouth guards during PT, etc. Getting them put back on after boot camp is a little odd, though.

I think it's great you're going in the service, though, so I hope it works out.

armyofone

#6 Post by armyofone »

he said that he wants me to take it off in June so I can leave, and I told him no I rather keep it on untill its finish, cause I dont want to come home and wear braces agian for the next year. I just want to get this done and over with, my next adjustments will be on may 17

amandajane

Response

#7 Post by amandajane »

I too enlisted in the Army before getting braced. I went through boot camp and cooking school and worked a year in Army as a cook /office personel and worked overseas in Iraq. After a year of so of working in the Army , I decided to go to the civilian life and get braces. So I waited till after the Army to get braces and so far its working out.

My story: viewtopic.php?t=31380[url][/url]

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

missingu wrote:This is a direct quote from my email correspondence with Richy Rosado, a recruiter for the U.S. Army (regarding potential soldiers):

"If they qualify for enlistment, they can enlist with their braces but must have them removed prior to being sent to basic training." (date April 10, 2006).
Before I enlisted into the United States Air Force I was told I have to have my braces off before I left for Basic Training so yes braces have to be off also I was told I could only wear my retainer at night time while I slept otherwise I had to have them out during the day while at basic, this is for a few reasons but I'm not certain as to why.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

AFLeadDog

#9 Post by AFLeadDog »

It is a true statement that you cannot go to boot camp while braced. Applicant's enlisting in any branch must have a letter from their ortho stating when the braces are going to be removed. You can only be in the delayed entry program for 12 months so if your treatment is longer you cannot enlist.
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

That's a true statement, if your in treatment you cannot go to basic until your braces are removed and yes they will put you in DEP (Delayed Entry Program) until your braces are removed, however DEP only lasts 1 full year (12 Months) as the DEP card you get expires after the 1 year

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008