my first day........

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Timaaa

my first day........

#1 Post by Timaaa »

So.....I got braced today, clear on top and bottom! Here is what got me to this point:

My teeth are really not that bad, but I have an impacted canine, although it is exposed in the front (fortunately enough to put a bracket on). Last December, I began asking my dentist about my options to get it taken care of. Well, at this point, I was pretty much against getting braces, so I went to a consultation with an oral surgeon about an implant.

At this consultation, I found out that I would need about 3 surgeries to complete the process, including a bone graft! It would run me around $4500. At this point, I decided to visit an orthodontist, because (1) for just a little more money, I could fix ALL of my teeth as opposed to one, and (2) An orthodontist would allow me to make monthly payments, which the oral surgeon would not do. Therefore, I now have braces.

The appointment this morning was interesting, to say the least. They installed my front 8 brackets first (4 uppers and 4 lowers). I had to wear this very awkward device to keep my mouth open, and that stuff that they put on your teeth tasted awful!!!! After they finished these brackets, the assistant asked if I wanted to rinse at the sink. Fortunately I did, because it was at this point that I discovered that they put THE WRONG BRACKETS ON!!!!! They were metal, not clear (like I paid for). I went back, and politely told the assistant this. She checked the paperwork, and indeed, I was right!!!! I did not see her again, I hope that I didn't get her in too much trouble!

So, they removed these 8 brackets, and started over! about 1 1/2 hours later, I was done! I did not really hurt then, just felt wierd. Now, 10 hours later, the pain is setting in! I am on a diet of scrambled eggs, jello, and advil. I am very happy with the way that they look, though.

1 more twist, I am a middle school band director that happens to be a brass player! This is the one reason that I was against all of this in the first place, so if anyone has any advice about relearning how to play a brass instrument, let me know. I guess that you could call all of this a social experiment among all of my students! Maybe I will fit in better.....

I guess I will try to see how sleep works now...

Timaaa

#2 Post by Timaaa »

So, it has been 3 days.....

Today is the first day that I didn't wake up in lots of pain! However, the more that I talk, the more that I begin to hurt. The brackets in the back of my mouth dig in to the insides of my cheeks, and talking seems to make this worse. Today is the first day that I have had to use wax.

Eating pretty much sucks. I no longer snack, because I feel disgusting every time I eat, and need to brush. I don't have an interest in brushing 10 times a day!

I tried playing some brass instruments today. It was extremely scary - I will need to learn how to play all over again! rage31 was correct in saying that smaller mouthpieces are worse. I could barely get a sound out of a trumpet!

On the good side, I have noticed some movement in my teeth already. My 2 front lower teeth used to have a slight overlap, and they no longer do! Also, my 2 upper front teeth used to be very close together at the tip, making it very hard to get floss in between, now there is a slight space! Is it unusual to notice movement in the first 3 days!

Thanks to everyone for the support!

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi Timaaa, welcome to the board and congrats on getting braces!

I can totally relate to you! My canine tooth wasn't impacted, but it grew behind my baby canine. I never in my life considered braces. I only learned what an orthodontist is last summer! I always wanted to get some sort of cosmetic surgery to get that canine in its proper alignment but my dentist convinced me to see an ortho...And now I'm in braces! It is worth it though...and you are right...braces will fix ALL our teeth for much less than having just 1 tooth fixed for a higher price!

Use your was as much as you need to. I remember that my 1st month, I didn't really want to use the wax and it got to the point where I was bleeding every day because I had left the wire cut all of my cheek in the back! When I went to see my ortho, he was so surprised I hadn't come for him to cut the ends or put wax...He gave me a friendly lecture on how it's important for me to know that I don't need to be in pain and that it's completely fine for me to come in-between adjustments to get the end of wires cut...So...use your wax and rinse your mouth with warm water mixed with a teaspoon of salt. It will be a relief!

Eating is a pain...but you will get used to it. I still brush my teeth every single time I eat something so eating is annoying but oh well...Hopefully it will get better!

Anyways, I'm glad to hear you're not in too much pain...and good for you for already seeing some progress!!!

Keep us posted!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

Hi <b>Timaaa</b>! Congrats on getting braced!

I never thought about how braces would impact playing a musical instrument! I haven't played my clarinet in a few years and I'm not sure if I will be able to once my braces are removed! I'll probably have to relearn the correct embouchure! Let me know how that goes for you!

Keep us updated!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top