Sillygirl's story (pics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sillygirl

Sillygirl's story (pics)

#1 Post by Sillygirl »

Hello all,

I am 29 and started the process of getting braced. I should have gotten braces when I was younger but lack of money caused it to not happen. Sooo, now I have to have surgery on my jaw to bring it forward and center it (the left side of my jaw locks closed). The oral surgeon said it(my jaw) grew wrong because of my bite.
I have overcrowding. My mom is 5'1" and my dad is 6'7", so my thought is I got my moms mouth and my dads teeth (not a good fit). Anyways...
I currently have an expander for the top teeth (Quad Helix, I think) and will be getting 5 extractions on Tuesdays (4 pre-molars and 1 wisdom, the other 3 wisdoms I had taken out already). My dentist can't get my wisdom tooth out so I have to go to my oral surgeon (same one that will do my jaw surgery). They are going to put me to sleep for the procedure (thank goodness), I don't want to be awake for that. Getting one tooth done at a time I could handle, but not 5.
I have a few pics so far. Just a little progress from the expander. A few people have commented on the change. My husband and mom noticed the most.

First day with expander, front view:
One week after expander (the first one got deleted):

Picture of bottoms, nothing done to them yet:

Front view, two weeks with expander (a slight change):

Side smile:

Front smile:

I will show progress pictures as they happen.

March 7, 2006 Quad-Helix Expander placed

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi Sillygirl.

Congratulations on starting the journey!! How is everything going with the expander? I hope it's not causing you too much trouble.

Keeps us updated :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

paw655

#3 Post by paw655 »

Not that I would choose to have any more extractions, but having had all of mine awake, with local, I can assure you:

The oral surgeons are the BEST at extractions. Way better than regular dentists, as they have training in surgical technique and jaw/mouth stuff. I admire your tenacity, and hope you have found a orthodontic team with whom you feel comfortable.

Allison

Sillygirl

#4 Post by Sillygirl »

Flora2006 wrote:Hi Sillygirl.

Congratulations on starting the journey!! How is everything going with the expander? I hope it's not causing you too much trouble.

Keeps us updated :)
Thanks!
The expander isn't too bad. The first week was the worst...it took three days for my cheecks to get used it, and about 8 days for my tongue to not feel so raw (that was horrible). Now, my tongue gets poked sometimes at night and I wake up with a sharp pain and red spot where the metal poked me. My tastebuds swell up sometimes too. But, when it is bothering me too bad, I go back to rinsing with saltwater. My ortho recommended to rinse with a full cup, 5 times a day for 5 days at the beginning.

Sillygirl

#5 Post by Sillygirl »

Today is the day.....I just ate my breakfast and drank my last drink for a while. It is 7:15 and my appointment is at 2:00 (That's a long time to not have something to drink, especially with my expander. I find that I constantly have a water bottle with me. It is alot easier to talk with a wet mouth and my expander.

Oh, well....it has to happen. Wish me luck!!! :cry:

Sillygirl

Teeth out

#6 Post by Sillygirl »

OK, the teeth are out, yeah!!! It has been a week and a very painful one at that.

Last Tuesday was the day. Came home after the procedure and slept. Mouth was tender but was doing ok. After day three the pain got worse in the jaw area (where the wisdom tooth was extracted), ear pain, throat sore, neck hurting, headache, all of it. It got worse and worse and worse.

Saturday I had to see my Ortho because the surgeon had bent the metal on my expander and the ortho wanted to make sure it wasn't affecting the way the expander was supposed to work. He said the extractions sites looked like they were healing well.

Then...last night after brushing and rinsing, I took a flashlight and took a look to see how the area looked back there. I saw a white thing in the hole. I thought it was food, tried to get it out and when I touched it with a floss pick it was very hard, like a tooth. Soo this morning I looked again and it was gone. I was nervous cause I thought I was going to have to go back to the surgeon.

I called the surgeon this morning and they said it was a bone chip and it probably worked its way out last night and I probably swallowed it. How comforting! She said it is common and nothing to worry about.

Today it feels better. Yesterday was THE worst day for pain. I woke up with horribe pain. I am guessing that is why, the bone piece was working its way out. I am hoping now it will start feeling better and better as the days go on.

I am not sure when I will get braced. My next appointment is 4/18 to adjust the expander and he will let me know then.

So I wait.... :crazy:

Sillygirl

#7 Post by Sillygirl »

I am feeling much better now!!!! :D

The bone chip incident happened Monday night and Wednesday I woke up with no pain at all and continued that way. If that wouldn't have happened, everything would've been A-OK!!

Everyone who is about to have extractions, GOOD LUCK! I had my other 3 wisdom pulled at 3 different times and never had a problem. This was just my luck this time.

Thanks for all the support! :banana:

Sillygirl

Brace Date

#8 Post by Sillygirl »

I will be officially Braced on May 16th!!

I went to the Ortho yesterday for him to adjust my expander and he said I will be ready in 4 weeks. Finally! :tingrin:

I did get some bad news though....my Ortho is leaving the office. I really like him too. He has his own practice and he has been working for this office just to help them out for the past 8 YEARS. His practice is getting really busy and it is too hard for him to manage both offices. So, two other orthos are taking his place. The other orthos have worked for this company for 7 years at one of their other offices. He said the other docs are good docs, but what else is he gonna say. He is not going to tell me they are bad orthos and I should not come back.

My current Ortho will put my braces on and then I won't see him after that. His last day is the end of May. :cry: :-((

I am taking the day of and the day after I get braced off of work. I want to get used to them being on before going into work. I will be getting the Clarity braces on top and bottom. I asked about time frame differences between metal and the Clarity, he said that the metal ones are easier for the Orthos to work with, no other difference.

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

Hey!

Can't you remain your ortho's patient? He started your treatment so can't you just go to his practice?

It's a good thing your almost ready for your braces. 4 weeks will fly by!!

There is no difference in time between metal and ceramics so don't worry about having to be longer in braces...your lengh has nothing to do with the brackets used.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated :)

~~~~~~

Sillygirl

Braces finally on

#10 Post by Sillygirl »

Got my braces on Tuesday!! :pinkbraces: :banana:

No problems as of yet. I can't close my mouth all the way but it is getting better as the days go on.

Flossing is now a challenge and I am brushing 3-4 times a day.
Last edited by Sillygirl on Sun May 21, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joanna20

#11 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! Nice picture!
Good luck!

Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

braceface1230

#12 Post by braceface1230 »

Awesome on gettin the braces! I just had an adjustment 2 days ago and I'm still sore and I've been in braces almost a year so, your not alone on the pain thing. You'll see that some adjustments can be worse than others, but look on the bright side. That smile of yours is going to be stunning in no time! Keep us posted and congrads!!!!

Sillygirl

#13 Post by Sillygirl »

Thanks for all the support.

Eating is getting easier, they don't hurt as bad. Everyday is better and better. It is very true that it is different for everyone. Not everyone will experience the same things when getting braced.

The first two days I had to put wax on the back bottom left bracket. Where they cut the wire, it was poking me. The second night I did not put wax on it and the next morning I didn't feel it anymore.

I had a tuna sandwich yesterday (the first food I had to bite into). That was very interesting. I would not attempt that in public. Does biting into things get easier or does everything have to be cut into small pieces?

sjsarre

#14 Post by sjsarre »

Sillygirl

Congrats on getting braced :D

Make sure you post some photo's as the time goes by...

I totally agree. Everyone is different and touch wood!! It sounds like you are one of the lucky ones!!! :D

Flora2006

#15 Post by Flora2006 »

Your braces are looking great. Congrats :)

Flossing is a nightmate at first...i agree!!! But it does get better...especially when the teeth straighten out, as KK pointed out.

Good luck with everything and I'm looking forward to following up with your progess :)

~~~~~~