Flora's "progress" with pictures

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flora2006

#31 Post by Flora2006 »

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.

I'm just going through a lot these days and with the constant discomfort and my new job at a place where you have to have a certain look and all...I'm just not too confident.

Granola - Thank you so much for your encouragement. Hopefully I will get used to those metal brackets real soon...it's just such a shock...and the wire going all over the place isn't helping...So I hope that once that wire straightens out...things will get better.

KK - As always, thank you so much for your words. You're such a great person to have on this board. Thank you so much for all the encouragement you've given me throughout my treatment time thus far.

Sswf - Thank you for your post and encouragement. Unfortunately for me, I am home for vacation...(I'm a university student) and so my ortho is currently 7 hours away from me...so is my dentist. I still go every 4 weeks...but that is unfortunately the best I can do. I can't wait to be back there...close to him...I feel more secure...especially since so many things can go wrong with braces...a bracket falling off...a wire breaking, etc....it's stressful to always have to think about that...

Like you, I also hope to one day be brave enough to sport a color...purple ligs look so nice...hopefully we will be brave enough to do that once we are more comfy ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#32 Post by ssfw »

Hi Flora,

I'm glad your next ortho appt. is in a few days - any chance of making it any sooner?

In reference to your new job and your braces - didn't you have your braces when you interviewed for the position (or did you interview pre-braces)? I'm sure they noticed your braces at the interview and you were still chosen as the person they wanted to hire. Even if you didn't have your braces when you interviewed with the company, you will find that very few people would base their decision to hire a person on whether somebody wore braces or not. If you think about it, I'm sure even before you had braces you never gave a second thought about a person's character just because they wore braces, right? and I'm sure most others wouldn't either.

I understand you're a little self-conscious about the metal brackets, as I know I will be if I get lower metal brackets, but in the back of my mind I know it's not permanent and there are many people out there that wishes they were as brave as us to get braces.

About the ligs - I may ask for a colored lig on the brackets attached to my molar band and the clear bracket next to it - on the left and right sides - these teeth don't show that much and would be a good start to at least have some color on the brackets :D . Would that work for you? Something to think about since you're next appt. is coming up soon.

Hope you feel better soon :) !

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

wiredinLA

#33 Post by wiredinLA »

Speaking of beautiful movement!! WOW!! Check out that wayward canine!
You top wire is soooo straight! Things have come a long way...

I can TOTALLY 100% relate to everything you are saying. The bottom braces... ugh.... are so HARD to get used to. I do not remember the tops being this uncomfortable, sharp and difficult to get used to. My cheeks are completely cut up and sore. One of my laterals feels like it's literally gonna fall out any second it hurts so much. Anything I eat gets *completely* stuck in my lowers.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice. I have wax on every single bracket on the bottom right now... and it's helping.
All I can say is... this too shall pass. Hopefully in a couple of weeks our bottom braces will feel as normal as our top ones do now.

Take care and focus on the positive! Your teeth look soooo good and your progress is amazing!!

WiredinLA
*~*~*~* WiredinLA *~*~*~*
Top braced (ceramics) : Jan. 9, 2006
3rd Adjustment: May 24th, 2006

SHORTIN1

#34 Post by SHORTIN1 »

So sorry you're having so much trouble with your lowers. pain is very stressful to the body. As for feeling self conscious about my braces....I refuse to be embarassed, I've spent 40 of my 48 years being ashamed of my teeth. We all do what we need to do to feel good about ourselves and if 3 yrs in braces is what it takes then that's what I'm doing. At least now folks are focused on my braces not my crooked teeth! Hang in there, The light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.
SHARI

Flora2006

#35 Post by Flora2006 »

Thank you all SO much for all your feedback and support. You all are such amazing people. :P

I have my 5th adjustment on Monday and I am hoping I'll have the courage to talk to my ortho about all my concerns and the progress I've made...My ortho is amazing and always takes his time with me, but I'm one of those who doesn't really ask many questions and doesn't want to know much...I literally rush to the door just to get away from the office! :roll: so I am really hoping I'll remember to talk to him about my concerns with the braces and all.

As for your questions, I have been using a bit of wax...the reason it isn't really helping me is because my wire poking me doesn't really bother me during the day/night...it's usually when I eat that my wire cuts my cheeks...and since I don't wear wax while I eat...there is no protection there.

I don't give my mouth rinses with salt water :roll: (i know i know) I just can't find a good time it seems...I don't want to rinse after brushing my teeth...so I want to wait a bit...but then I'll go eat and brush my teeth again...it's like an endless circle :shock:

Today at work, one of my co-workers shocked me when he started talking about my braces...I never had anyone bring up the subject on their own...so he really left me surpised...I wasn't offended or anything...but it really made me realize that people are noticing my braces...it kind of bugs me actually :roll: I was hoping people wouldn't notice (though I know that's impossible) But oh well...it was okay...we just talked a bit about it and he said he had them as well...and that was it...

Anyways, I am really hoping my ortho will change my top wire on monday...i have the one that I begun with and I honestly haven't really seen any change since my last adjustment...so I'm hoping :lol:

Again, thank you all so much for all your kind words ans support. You guys are the best :-**

~~~~~~

Flora2006

#36 Post by Flora2006 »

KK, my coworker has known me for 2 days!! But you are right...we instantly got really close...he's my fave person to work with :)

So I had my 5th adjustment today. Everything was going SO wrong...My ortho is currently 7 hours away...so I had to travel from far...I almost missed my train from my home...then when I got to Toronto, the buses and subways were on strike so I had to pay SO much for the cab...by that time...I was praying that this adjustment would be worth it considering all the mess and transportation problems... :roll:

My ortho is very pleased with how my teeth are moving. I told him that I was finding this whole process really slow and he said that the reason was because of that canine crossbite...because it was so far back... My ortho is really happy with how that tooth has moved. He says that the wire is all straight now and has no bends...so that now it just has to come out a bit...

He changed my upper wire :dance:
He also installed a spring to create space so that hopefully my impacted tooth can come out. We'll see how that goes...he is suppose to put a small button sometime but he first once to create more space... :)

I must say, when he took out my upper and lower wires...it felt pretty normal...I kind of wanted to feel that loose teeth feeling just because I've read so much about it here...but my experience wasn't too bad...it's all good...I'm just happy he did more than just change my ligs! :lol:

I think he put my old upper wire onto my lower teeth...is that possible? I didn't really pay attention to what he was saying about it at the time :roll:

When he was taking out one of my wire ties...I jumped out of pain...I think he felt so bad...it hurt like hell...it's an impacted tooth and it felt like my ortho was pulling that tooth out!! :shock:

So today overall was the best adjustment thus far...I got new wires, and a spring... :P

He also put like 5-6 wire ties and ligs...so when he was done...I told him that he put so much metal in my mouth that I would probably set the THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. off! 8) Thankfully all this metal is discreet.

Right now, I must say that I am feeling a lot of soreness...When I was flossing, I felt a lot of space in between some teeth so I'm guessing those new wires have started their magic :BigGrin:

I will put some pictures up tomorrow :P

~~~~~~

ssfw

#37 Post by ssfw »

Hi Flora2006,

I am so glad that your appointment went well yesterday. I have been so worried about you becasue of the pain and concerns you were having. I know we both feel the same about our orthodontist and their staff and find personality is just as important as skill when going through orthodontic treatment. I truly think this is why I have had a very positive attitude about having to go through ortho treatment.

I know you had a terrible trip to the ortho's office - must be stressful having the office 8 hours away when school is not in session - not very comforting when you may have a minor problem that you would have called about in a moment if you were in school and so much close to his office.

It sounds like you had alot done at your appointment yesterday - I'm sure that's such a good feeling :D :banana: . While you're not in school this Summer, is he making your appts. less frequent or are you still scheduling at the usual timeframes? It really sounds like you are progressing so well!!!! Congratulations - I am so happy for you. You didn't mention anything about the pain you were having in your jaw - what did your ortho say about that?

In reference to your new colleague, I don't hink he meant to offend you in any way and hope that you were not offended. You mentioned that you have only known him for 2 days and he is one of your favorite people to work with. I'm thinking that he probably enjoys working with you and is comfortable working and talking to you also. If he is new, it could be he is tryng to make conversation and found something that the both of you had in common. I know both you and I are a bit self conscious about wearing braces and as I mentioned before, only 2 people have mentioned my braces and I already had answers to the more common questions in the back of my mind - remember to keep your answers short and simple (others don't need to know alot of detail if you don't want to share it) and respond in a tone that doesn't make you sound like you are uncomfortable about talking about or wearing your braces - in ways, it had helped me when these two people mentioned my braces, I guess it was a sort of a relief. I'm still not sure if others have noticed and not said anything - oh well! Since you feel comfortable with your new colleague, you may want to bring up the conversation of braces and ask him when he had his braces and maybe ask him for any tips he may have and at the same time 'break the ice' on talking about your braces.

The wax and warm saltwater rinses helped me so much for a period of time that I initially had my expander. Since I have had my braces, there have been two brackets that has been rubbing a little so I use a little bit of wax on the 2 brackets - it has helped alot. I use the warm saltwater rinse at least once/day but it always feel better if I use it 2-3 times/day. I find after I brush my teeth in the morning is a good time for me to rinse with the warm saltwater. I try to find a time that I will not eat/drink anything for about 30 minutes after I rinse so that hopefully the saltwater will have time to do its job - not sure if it helps not to eat/drink anything for 30 minutes after I rinse. Try using the wax and warm saltwater rinses - it will probably make you feel so much better!!!

I hope you are feeling alot better and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jennandtonic

#38 Post by jennandtonic »

I just read your entire thread for the first time so I'm going to be commenting on several things.

First of all, GREAT movement on the upper teeth! I don't know the names of all the teeth, but that one wayward one is almost there, you must feel fantastic about that progress!

Second, I'm bad about the salt water rinses too. :oops: I never seem to find the time either, and I can also sympathize, the upper braces never really bother my mouth, the lowers are sometimes sooo painful!

I'm glad your fifth adjustment went well. Did you get to ask those questions? And bummer about those transportation problems. I would be very pissed off about that too!

Flora2006

#39 Post by Flora2006 »

As promised, here are some pictures taken after my most recent adjustment...my top wire was changed into a stronger one, and my lower wire was changed also, though I know it wasn't into a thicker one...maybe he put the one I had on my top ones? Not sure :?

In this picture, my ortho is really happy with how my wire isn't bending anymore for my canine (right side of the picture). All it needs to do now is to come out a bite...

I think, from looking at my first day in lower braces...that my three front teeth have moved a bit...they look much straighter now. :P

I have white ligs on top and silver on bottom...and a lot of wire ties on teeth that have a lig on or not...I have to remember to ask why he does that...what's the purpose there... :?

Thank you all so much for all your feedback and support. I really really appreciate it and I am so happy to receive your feedback :P

KK, as always, you are great. Thank you so much for all your positive feedback and support. :)

Linda21, thank you for your feedback. This whole trip was a disaster but my adjustment was good...got some new things so it was worth all this transportation disaster. :wink:

Ssfw, thank you so very much for all your support! :P My ortho, like yours is amazing. He is so caring and wants me to feel good about this whole experience. He always reassures me and is just such a positive light in this whole journey...

You are right...being so far away from the office...the ortho AND my dentist is really stressful at times...but I try to be as careful as possible. Hopefully eveything will continue to be fine...no brackets broken yet ;)

As for your questions, my ortho did tell me that I can come every 6 weeks instead of 4...but I still go every 4 weeks. The wire is always cutting up my cheeks after 2 weeks...that's why I rather go every 4. I don't really mind...it kind of helps me to go so often...feels like things are going faster... As for my jaw hurting...I didn't say anything...but I'm pretty sure it's because of my teeth moving...right now my jaw is hurting in various places...so I think it's normal :roll:

I hope everything is going well with your braces Sswf :). Again, thank you so much for all your support. You are great!

jennandtonic, thank you for reading my journey :) I hope all is going well with your braces as well :) I didn't ask my ortho all the questions I had (I forget almost all of them because I go into shock when I'm near a doctor ;)) but I still asked some...so its better than nothing ;)

~~~~~~

Flora2006

#40 Post by Flora2006 »

Hey all!

I haven't posted any updates in so long...but not much has changed in my treatment which is kind of disappointing...but oh well.

I'm going into my 7th month in braces and I must say that I was expecting a bit more change than what I am seeing...but I am still happy with all the improvement my left eye tooth has made over this journey... I can't really believe that it's been 7 months already!!! 7 months with top braces...and 3 months with bottom once...time is flying by!

Yesterday I had my 7th adjustment and it was the same as always...change of ligs...that's pretty much it. My ortho did say that we were right on track...so that's good. It's the 1st time he actually really commented on how my teeth are doing...so that must be a good sign. So I told him "that means 17 more months right?" and he just smiled and repeated that we were on track...so much for getting my hopes high ;)

I did move on to a stronger wire on top on my 5th adjustment...in June I think...which was very exciting...but apart from that...all my adjustments have been pretty much the same... I also got a spring to create more space for an adult tooth that hasn't quite come down...so on my next adjustment, my ortho will be placing a bracket to pull that tooth down...though I really don't know how since there really isn't much of that tooth showing...I guess I will see how it goes next month.

I have to say that the most annoying thing with my braces right now is that so many people are commenting on them...which I really don't like and find it a bit rude...I feel like they are bringing up and imperfection and trying to make a conversation about it with me! I know they don't mean to be rude but when these people are strangers to me...I really find it rude...and I can't say anything about it because they are customers so...it's kind of annoying but otherwise, I've accepted those braces a bit more...I still hate them but now I don't really spend my energy on hating them...

Anyways, so that was a bit of an update...all is well I guess...I wish things were moving faster but I can't really do anything about that so I won't spend too much energy thinking and hoping for my teeth to be beautiful when I wake up tomorrow...

Here are some progress pics:

DAY 1:

DAY 2:

~~~~~~

lorih

Getting my braces tomorrow

#41 Post by lorih »

What wonderful improvement! My top teeth look alot like yours before you got your braces (except for the canine). My bottoms are more crowded than yours though. I'm excited to finally get braces.

Flora2006

#42 Post by Flora2006 »

Okay, so I haven't posted in a very, very long time. I apologize. Things have been so crazy.

January will be 1 year in braces for me...today was my 11th adjustment. So just to recap what's been going on in my mouth, I graduated to heavier wires this summer...then my ortho has made me wear elastics for 2 months now.

Today, 1 bracket was repositioned, and my last tooth that is coming out (my ortho was very worried and thought I would need to get surgery, but thankfully, it's coming out on its own! - you can see it in the pics) just received its new bracket (i had a button before to make it come down a bit). And now my wires are a bit lighter again...so no elastics for now!! :):)

Here are some pics from the 1st month and now... Sorry about the pics being sooooo big or small... I'm not too good with this thing!

1ST DAY:
ImageImage

1ST DAY:
ImageImage

1ST DAY - LOWERS
ImageImage

~~~~~~

M1k3y

#43 Post by M1k3y »

Great smile there. So how much longer do you have to go?
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Brace Face

#44 Post by Brace Face »

What a great improvement so far!!!

tulip

#45 Post by tulip »

Very nice progress Flora.