Melfly's Story *pics*, updated 1 year Progress!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melfly

Melfly's Story *pics*, updated 1 year Progress!

#1 Post by melfly »

I'm an 19 year old college student from NY. I got my braces on June 1st after having my 4 extractions.

The main reasons for my braces are my overjet, overbite, and some crowding. I am supposed to have them for 24 months if all goes well.

The pain hasn't been intolerable (with some advil). It hurt really bad the first few days and I couldn't chew anything, but it has been getting better.

The only real problem I have had so far is that the bracket on my last tooth on my right bottom side feel off twice so far (they said my bite was too deep?). The ortho decided that I will need to have a band around it, so I am going in for a spacer in July and then they are going to put the band on a week later at my first adjustment. I am scared of the spacer, but hopefully it isn't too bad.

Here are some pictures to document my progress, I can't wait until I see some changes:):)

Side view with my lovely gaps
Image :D
Last edited by melfly on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ironyengine

#2 Post by ironyengine »

Hey melfly! Welcome to the club, and congrats on already being done the extractions... I still have mine to look forward to. Have you had much trouble getting used to eating again after having them out?

melfly

#3 Post by melfly »

ironyengine-Thanks for the reply! About the extractions and eating...the first day it was pretty bad I mostly had shakes and smoothies, but then I got used to it. I just used my back teeth a lot more than I usually do. A week later I had the wire put in so I was back to shakes because of the pain of the wire.

melfly

Update!

#4 Post by melfly »

**Update**

Well, it's been just over a year since I got my braces on, and I wanted to share some new pics and concerns.

For the most part, being what feels like the only 20 year old with braces hasn't been too bad. When I first meet someone, I still get extremely self concious about them. I am taking a public speaking class now and I am constantly feeling like everyone is staring at them.

So far in my treatment, I've been using rubberbands for at least 4 months. Two visits ago they put bends in my wires, I'm not sure exactly what their purpose is (anyone know?). You can see them in my pics, on the top wire... My ortho mentioned activating them and he told he they'd be there until the gaps fully close.

I've been wearing powerchains for forever. I really hate them, mostly because they mean that I can't have wire ties, which I love (no staining and not as noticable). Last visit I opted for a silver color since the tooth colored ones stained horribly last time.

Here are some pics:)
My profile (it hasn't improved greatly, but I can live with it)
Me with my natural bite, You can see the wire bends I mentioned earlier
side view, again you can see the wire bends. I love the progress with my front teeth moving back and the reduction in my overjet!
My bottom teeth have straightened a lot!
And the gaps have closed on the bottom

I still have one year left, I'm hoping to get them off earlier (has anyone gotten theirs off early?) My ortho hasn't mentioned anything like that, but it's just wishful thinking. The gaps are almost all closed and I don't know what else there is to do....

Overall, I am really happy I got braces. The changes in my face shape are remarkable too, I'm not sure if they are due to the braces or just growing up, but it's all for the better.

Thanks for reading, I love reading everyone's stories:)

Danielle

#5 Post by Danielle »

Congratulations on all the progress!
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

I can't believe your gaps closed so soon! Well done!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

rhonda30

#7 Post by rhonda30 »

It is really exciting to see how much your teeth have changed in a relatively short time. Why is that everyone else's move quicky and mine are stuck in the mud? Probably age related.

Look forward to watching your continued progress.