Joplin's Story (photos on page 12)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kelly12300

#106 Post by kelly12300 »

I just want to say that you shouldn't beat yourself up about memories from the past. I've also recently beat myself up about my teeth. For me it was the opposite. When I was 9 my dentist sent me to a hospital to get 2 teeth out (the ones next to my canines. They were growing too far back and were stopping other teeth growing properly). He didn't explain it to me properly and I probably wouldn't have understoon anyway if he had. I let him send me to get those teeth out because I though (and this seems really stupid now because I know this can't happen) that the 2 teeth that were growing behind were extra teeth that weren't needed. So I got the teeth taken out and now I have 2 huge gaps on either of my mouth, just in front of my canines, from where my teeth haven't grown the right way. And the worst thing is is my orthodontist said he won't be able to fix the gaps.
So you're not the only one beating yourself up about past memories as other people have said too. It wasn't your fault, you didn't know about how it would affect you if you didn't have those teeth out. That dentist should have told your parents what would have happened if you didn't have those teeth out, not just write it in your records and leave it. It's his fault, not yours, so please don't blame yourself.
I'm sure at the end of your treatment your smile will look great and you'll be wondering what you were ever worried about.
Keep us updated on your progress!
~*~Kelly~*~

Loop

#107 Post by Loop »

Hey Jopin :D

How'd the wisdom teeth extractions go?
I now have a surgery date for removing my impacted canines, baby canines and lower incisor - 13th April. Yikes!

EyeSpy21

#108 Post by EyeSpy21 »

Hey Joplin. Not been about recently so just been catching up with your progress. Hope it all went well yesterday!

Good luck with the surgery Loop!
2005 Impacted canines resulting in twisted lateral incisor - advised: surgical removal of canines, followed by braces then 'pegging' of lateral incisor root - didn't proceed
2017 L canine erupted, bone loss around lateral incisor - advised: canine substitution by extraction of both lateral incisors, exposure of R canine, braces to position canines

joplin

#109 Post by joplin »

Loop, EyeSpy and everyone, the wisdom teeth extraction could not have gone better! It was a breeze!

They gave me an IV sedation that worked like magic. I was there and awake, but I only have a few memories of what was going on: an occasional sound of a noisy drill, a piece of conversation between the surgeon and a nurse ("there is the tooth now, can you see it?", "oh, yes") and the nurse's words "you can get up now, can you stand up?". I know I was there, but kinda wasn't. I knew they were working on me but I simply didn't mind. I just lied there totally relaxed and carefree, not thinking about anything. It was amazing.

I never felt a thing. Well, actually I did, but that had nothing to do with the dental work itself. The surgeon was not good at placing the IV needle... He missplaced it three times before he hit the vein properly. "This is the hard part for me, the rest will be easy", he said. At that point I was about to pass out, being horrified of needles and there we were playing pincushion! But as soon as the sedation kicked it I was a happy camper. I lost track of time. The procedure (2 lower wisdom teeth out) took an hour, but if you ask me it might as well have been ten minutes.

I was sent home after 30 minutes of resting. The bleeding had stopped and none occured afterwards. I was so tired I slept the rest of the day. My boyfriend woke me up at 10.20 pm. That's when the most terrible pain hit me. It brought tears in my eyes, it hurt so much. 600 ibuprofen took care of it soon enough and I'm happy to tell that after that there has been no pain. I slept through the next day too, but after that I was almost back to normal, count out the obvious swelling. That's almost gone now. No bruises either.

I never thought I'd say this, but to me this was a positive experience. When it was over I was - and I am - so glad I now have all my wisdom teeth out. I'll never have to worry about them anymore and it all happened so smoothly! YAY!

Loop, good luck with your surgery! I think you're getting your canines out before I'll get mine out, so do let me know all about how it goes, will you?
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that day!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

joplin

#110 Post by joplin »

Update:
I just had an appointment with my oral surgeon. He checked out how I've recovered from the wisdom teeth removal done 2 weeks ago. He was surprised when I said the recovery has been very easy for me.
He told me it actually was a more difficult operation than he had expected. I have a small mouth to work in in the first place, plus the left tooth's roots were very close to a nerve canal. He had to break the tooth in several pieces to get it out without compromising the nerve. Knowing that now: Well done, doc! I've noticed no loss of sensation or anything he said he was worried about. Lucky me, for once! I'm even MORE relieved now to have those wisdom teeth out for good!

Funny thing: I told the OS the sedation worked great for me and that I don't remember a thing about the surgery, except for one comment he made to the nurse. He laughed and said we had talked quite a lot during the process - I have no idea what we've talked about :shock: Obviously I was more awake than I imagined :lol:

The next step will be a crucial one: removing the impacted canines. The OS says it will an easier job for him than this wisdom teeth operation. The canines are sitting there nicely on the lip side of the mouth. Most often they are situated on the palate side, which would mean a more complicated method of surgery. Phew, that's good. I've had enough of complicated about this whole thing!
My next surgery date is May 18th. After that June 2nd should be the day I'll get my uppers braced, if the surgery goes well and without any complications: FINGERS CROSSED!
The OS says getting braced soon after the canines are gone is a good idea: the teeth have newly gained space there and will move easily. YAY, I hope that means those twisted laterals of mine will get straightened fast! They are, after all, The Thing that bothers me the most.

I'm still feeling kinda sad to be so violently parted from my hidden canines I've never got to see, but if they gotta go, they gotta go. And I gotta move on.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Katypooh

#111 Post by Katypooh »

All systems go! - great news Joplin :D The braces bit is going to be a breeze (well, almost :wink: ) after what you've already had to put up with!

Katy

Loop

Re: Impacted incisors too

#112 Post by Loop »

EyeSpy21 wrote:
I have been told I cannot wear a brace to straighten it without first having the impacted teeth removed. After surgery I would have a fixed brace for 12 months then a removable brace for the next 12 months. And probably further surgery to 'peg' the root of the previously twisted tooth.
joplin wrote: The roots of my laterals look very twisted on the x-rays and I'm afraid I shall be facing something similar that you mentioned about your roots.
Yikes! Reading this has scared me a bit. No one has mentioned anything to me about further surgery for twisted laterals and mine are twisted quite badly! :shock:
Do you guys have any more details on what this might be about and what surgery they actually have to do?
I also read Joplin that you are getting braced a lot sooner after your surgery than I am - I wonder why they are waiting so long, I wish they'd get started ASAP! :?

joplin

#113 Post by joplin »

Actually I'm not quite sure what EyeSpy means by "pegging". My English skills fail me there. I was told at one point I might have to have my laterals root canaled if they were harmed in the process of removing the canines, but that was before we had really talked about the expansion route. And it was actually another OS than the one who has done all the operating on me. Now that I have more space around my canines up there those laterals' roots should be in less danger - I hope, I've got this right! There has been so much talk around my dental works I've got lost in the woods quite a few times.

EyeSpy21

#114 Post by EyeSpy21 »

Hi Loop, I think the pegging or pinning of the root is to secure the tooth and prevent it moving again once it is in correct position. Is this not common practice after braces then? Perhaps just in these cases? Or dependent on how much the tooth has to be moved? Really not sure as I have not been brave enough to proceed with anything yet and have not had further discussions regarding this.

Joplin, I am getting excited for you now! And agree with Katy. It'll not be long now until you start to see the benefits of all your treatment to date.
2005 Impacted canines resulting in twisted lateral incisor - advised: surgical removal of canines, followed by braces then 'pegging' of lateral incisor root - didn't proceed
2017 L canine erupted, bone loss around lateral incisor - advised: canine substitution by extraction of both lateral incisors, exposure of R canine, braces to position canines

joplin

#115 Post by joplin »

No "pegging" of "pinning" has been mentioned to me. Root canal was mentioned once as a possible "must" if those laterals get harmed in the process of removing the canines, but I've changed surgeons since, and it has not been brought up since by him or by my ortho. Come to think of it, they've made it sound as simple as "out with the canines, in with the hardware". Until I've started asking about those what if's, that is :roll:

EyeSpy21

#116 Post by EyeSpy21 »

Loop? 13th April? For some reason I thought it was 24th. How did it go?

joplin

#117 Post by joplin »

Update:

I was so happy about how easy my recovery from the wisdom teeth surgery was. Well, that was too good to be true. Last weekend, almost 6 weeks (!) after the operation I woke up with a swollen and sensitive cheek. Today I went to the dentist to have it checked out and yes, there is an infection inside my gum where the left w/tooth was extracted. Great :(
Those antibiotics they prescribed me better take care of the problem, because the next surgery is scheduled two weeks from here!

Has anyone ever heard of an infection that showed up with a vengeance 6 weeks later????

jaws

#118 Post by jaws »

Hi Joplin, I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, and I encountered the same problem. They were ok for the first while (aside from the usual pain/swelling), and then a few weeks later (maybe not 6 weeks, but definitely long enough that I thought they were healed by then), I woke up with a mild infection. I also had antibiotics and I had to take even more care cleaning them properly.

The dentist basically said that my wisdom teeth were really big for the size of my mouth (they were all impacted), and the result after they were removed were big 'holes' that were difficult to clean and prone to infection.

The antibiotics and extra cleaning worked for me, so I'm sure they will work for you too! Good luck! :D
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

joplin

#119 Post by joplin »

Thanks, Jaws! I really thought this is a strange thing to happen, especially because I had antibiotics for a week after the surgery to prevent an infection - and now I'm having a second helping of that stuff!

Manda

#120 Post by Manda »

Joplin, I just wanted to wish you luck on your canine extraction. I believe you said you are getting it done on May 17th or 18th. I remember because its so close to the date I get my braces. Everything will go smoothly for you I'm sure of it! Be sure to let us all know how it goes alright? Not much longer until Braceland for Joplin!! :lol:

Cheers
Braced for 7months, 4 days
Wireless since December 21, 2005 and loving it!