Joplin's Story (photos on page 12)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

londonchick

#136 Post by londonchick »

Hi Joplin

glad the surgery went well and that you no longer look like a pumpkin :lol:

It's all go from now on then....check up, cleaning, then the braces can go on. Do you know what sort you're getting yet ?

Loop

#137 Post by Loop »

Well done you for getting through the surgery! It will all be plain sailing from here on in. 8)

I'm interested in how they actually manage to pull them out - were you aware of what they were doing or were you too out of it with the sedation?
Did your front teeth feel funny afterwards?

joplin

#138 Post by joplin »

Loop, I was more "there" this time and I was aware of what they were doing. They took out the right one first. It was out rather fast and easy, but the left one seemed to take forever. They drilled and hammered and pushed and pulled and at that point I felt some pain. I think it was the root that was not all that willing to get rid of me.
Now there is quite a hole in my gum where the left canine used to be. They say it will slowly fill up with new bone.

So they did not come off just like that but on the other hand they only had to make cuts on the "outer" side of my gums, none on the palate side, which was a relief. The surgeon said he had chopped the teeth in three pieces - the root, the crown and the part in between them came out one at a time - to get them out as carefully as possible.
My teeth have felt a little funny, I guess, but not as much as I was afraid they might. Above all I've been very careful not to brush too hard and not to bite into, well, anything.

I'm heading for my dental check up in half an hour. Let's hope that will be an uneventful visit... Then cleaning in the afternoon and I should be all set for braces.

Londonchick, I asked for ceramic brackets and my ortho said no problem. I think we'll discuss all the options again from the start at the appointment. I don't actually know for sure all the variations she has to offer, really. We actually have not yet really been able to discuss braces because there has been so much other stuff to deal with!!

Kelly, thanks for your kind words! I just read somewhere that "bravery is about being scared but still going ahead". Maybe that's the kind of brave I now feel :)

ADDED in the afternoon:

Dentist says things are looking good, teeth are all cleaned up and polished and the one thing left to do is getting braced on Thursday. I'm ready to rock!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Manda

#139 Post by Manda »

Just wanted to say how happy I am for you, that things turned out so well! Now you can put all your worries behind you and move on to the final phase...braces!! You will love them, I am sure of it. I have only had mine on for 2 weeks, and already I am feeling more confident about my teeth. I have also noticed that I am smiling bigger and wider than ever before. So, good luck with your braces on Thursday and let us know how it goes. :lol:
Braced for 7months, 4 days
Wireless since December 21, 2005 and loving it!

joplin

#140 Post by joplin »

Thanks, Manda! I'm so ready to start loving my braces :lol: Let's see what I'll say on Thursday when they're on... I'm also ready for the weird feeling and all - luckily I've had the chance here to read so much about everytyhing that goes with the territory that not much should come as a surprise now :) What a treasure this site is!!
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

TessaLeoni

#141 Post by TessaLeoni »

Good luck for Thursday.
I guess after all your troubles, worries and dental work, getting braces will be peanuts!!
And as you should be able to see changes pretty soon, you will be really motivated!
Tess
*B*Day: 2/7/2005
White Ceramics on Uppers and Lowers

joplin

#142 Post by joplin »

I got braced today!!!! Finally! It's really happening!
I have ceramic brackets and a white teflon archwire on top. They look gorgeus to me :D
Lowers will be braced in August - September. That's OK, because I still have to wear the W arch too until I get a thicker archwire anyway. There's enough stuff in my mouth now as it is.
Can't wait to see those crooked laterals start turning!

Addition in the afternoon:

I'm so happy about my beautiful braces that I've been showing them off to everybody at work. I'm acting like a kid who just got the coolest present :lol: But really, that's close to how I feel about my braces after everything it took me to get here.

And how have people commented? They've really had no other option than to second my opinion: When I start with showing my braces with a huge grin and saying "Aren't they cool?!", what else can they say but "Yes, they are." :-*
And what do they say next? "So you're going to wear those for how long, 2 - 3 months?" I guess I've been talking about my dental works for so long that they think this is just a final touch! When I tell them "They'll be on for the next couple of years" they go like :huh:

My braces (WOW, I can actually say that!) have been on for 6 hours now and I'm starting to get an idea of the pain. All my teeth are beginning to ache and it kind of radiates up to my head too. But it's not stopping me from smiling like a mad woman, I'm so happy about them! In fact I have a bottle of champagne cooling up at home: this occasion seriously calls for a toast!

Manda

#143 Post by Manda »

Congradulations Joplin!!
It feels great, doesn't it! I find myself grinning ear to ear now instead of doing my tight, closed mouth smile like I used to. I'm proud to show off my braces, even though I haven't seen any extreme movement as I would like so far, its the fact that I know someday, I will have beautiful teeth.

Hope you're not having too much pain...the first few hours for me were great, until later that evening it felt like someone kicked my teeth in. Within a week they were pretty much back to normal...but I still can't bite into anything. I don't care how much it hurts, it will be worth it in the long run, as I am sure this is how you feel at this point.

Congrads again, enjoy the champagne!

Loop

#144 Post by Loop »

Cheers Joplin! Image Image
I'm happy for you that you got your braces at last. Can you post a pic of them?
Can't wait to hear how your treatment progresses!

Dodger(UK)

#145 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Congrats Joplin on getting your braces - I bet you thought this day would never come, well done and good luck for the rest of your treatment. :) I know what you mean about smiling all the time, now that you know your making progress it's a natural reaction. :D

2hOtT2HaNdLe01

#146 Post by 2hOtT2HaNdLe01 »

omg...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay u finally got your braces..dont forget to POST PICS!!!!! have fun with theM!!! lol. :lol:
BRACED: March 16, 2005
DEBANDED: October 3, 2006

joplin

#147 Post by joplin »

Thanks! Here comes the pic. It was taken when the braces had been on for about 10 hours and by that a tiny gap had already opened between my front teeth. Obviously something is already happening, but what I'm really looking forward to, of course, is seeing those pointy looking laterals move into their right spots.

There is a little blue dot on one of the front brackets. It's just a mark the ortho's assistant had made to know which bracket goes together with which tooth. That will wear off. As will the white color on the wire, as I've heard people tell here.

I had that "hit in the mouth" feeling late in the afternoon. It was quite intensive, but ibuprofen took care of it. Brushing was torture, those front teeth are really sensitive now.

TessaLeoni

#148 Post by TessaLeoni »

Congratulations!

They really look good on you! I especially like the white wire (my ortho doesn't offer them :( ).

Concerning the blue dot: I had to brush three or four times and all the dots were gone.

Good luck,
Tess

PS: Make sure you use a good mouthwash to prevent canker sores..
*B*Day: 2/7/2005
White Ceramics on Uppers and Lowers

Manda

#149 Post by Manda »

Lookin Good Joplin! :banana:

Eleni

#150 Post by Eleni »

joplin wrote:Image
THEY LOOK WONDERFUL!!!!!!! Congratulations, and I'm so envious of the white arch wire.

This is how I imagine you to be like > Image
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story