The Paparazzi's braces story/post braces(positioner) saga

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paparazzi

#16 Post by Paparazzi »

update time

Well things have been alright so far. The saliva issue has finally subsided after nearly 3 weeks. Breathing is normal and no speech as usual. Anyone who complains about retainers should be thankful they can speak with them in. The exercises are still a pain in the ass, but as much as I hate them I have to do them. The family event (wedding) was interesting. The groom's best man got dead drunk and made this huge speech which everybody got a kick out of.

Got a call from my ortho's office and at the next appointment (Monday) they want to take a set of X-Rays and get more accurate information on the relapse. If things are still going at a snail's pace by the end of August it'll probably be braces again. It's still early and nothing is for certain though I dunno if that's a good or bad thing. I'll know more on Monday about far along things are and all.

Got any questions feel free to ask, I'm an open book and all the stuff I've had. Herbst, combination and reverse headgear, finishing elastics, palatte expanders, hawley retainers, etc.

Peace

Paparazzi

Paparazzi

#17 Post by Paparazzi »

Ok guys and ladies, update time

Well I saw my ortho this morning and we had a discussion. The positioner is working but very, very, very slowly. Initially we thought by the end of August things everything would be fixed, but its looking now like that isn't going to be the case. The positioner works best in the first few weeks of use and its already been three weeks and there's been snail's pace progress. My relapse was minimal to moderate and I can see some correction but not as much as hoped for. I wore my retainer exactly as instructed but I guess crap happens. We haven't made any decisions yet and its still early. As for right now I got to stick it out and keep pounding away. They took X-Rays today and they'll have them back soon enough so we can a better idea on what to do. By early August were going to decide if being re-braced is the best route or if something else might work.

As for daily life, I'm finally adjusted. Life without speech has been kind of strange, trying to gesture constantly can be a bit of pain. Its been like a 24/7 game of sharades since I started wearing this thing. Yesterday my positioner case got a little misplaced so I wasn't to pleased. I got to say cleaning this thing can be a real pain. The saliva gets everywhere, and I thought Hawley retainers were bad.

I'm off to go have lunch and get my 10 minute repreive of freedom.

Thanks for reading everyone and send any questions if you got em. Next update sometime around Thursday and of course every Monday.

Peace

The Paparazzi

MarilynT

#18 Post by MarilynT »

Sorry to hear that your positioner work is going so slowly. I sure hope that it works, though. I just got out of braces; was in Essix retainers for three weeks and am now (since Saturday, 7/15) wearing a positioner. I HATE the positioner. I only have to wear it at night and for two to four hours/day. I'm getting used to the saliva and the breathing isn't a big deal, but the dang thing hurts! The teeth have definitely moved already, so I'm trying to use the progress as inspiration, but the bottom teeth are a tad sore, and my tongue and cheeks are sore from when I have to suck up the saliva -- it creates some suction pressure in the mouth that isn't comfortable, but is the only alternative to having drool run down my face! I hate the clenching, but, again, am trying to be as compliant as possible. I can't WAIT for this to be over! BY FAR, the worst part of my treatment.

Paparazzi

#19 Post by Paparazzi »

Update time

Saw my ortho this morning and the X-Rays showed that the relapse is being corrected. Things are moving along very slowly as usual which led my ortho and I to the question. Would it be easier just to go with braces again for six months? I personally after six years+ of appliances and braces don't want to go back to braces but if things keep up at this snail's pace I may not have a choice. First Monday in August will be the day we make are minds up about that. Next appointment will just be another routine check nothing too special.

Every day life has been fine. I'm going to try to get some pics up if I can ever figure out how to work a digital camera. Yes everyone I am computer stupid.

Marilyn thanks for the comiseration. Yea it is a pain in the ass but gotta deal with it. I haven't had the sucction issue that you speak of. Yea it definitely makes your teeth sore. Just a quick question, what we're essix retainers like? I wore hawley's and barely know anything about essix. If you could fill me in that'd be great.

Alright everyone I'm going to go out for the rest of the day. I'll update next Monday.

Peace

BraceMD

#20 Post by BraceMD »

Oh boy... I'm in for a treat, it seems. I THOUGHT I was getting Essix retainers, but no. It's a positioner. This sounds like it's going to be... fun?
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

Paparazzi

#21 Post by Paparazzi »

Hey all,

Sorry I haven't updated this in forever. I am now in Essix retainers 24/7 until further notice. I still could possibly be back in braces if my teeth don't hold in place. The chances are still 50/50 but I am being good about wearing my retainers. I'll try to get some pics up for everyone. To everyone in positioners, you'll make it through. Trust me.