Loxodonta's Braces Adventure

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loxodonta

#16 Post by loxodonta »

It seems like it has been so long since I've seen the internet! I'm finally back at a computer and ready to continue my story.

I went to my general dentist last Wednesday, August 10 to get my two deciduous (baby) cuspids removed. It went surprisingly well. In fact, I was only in the office for 15 minutes. 15 minutes!! It helped that it was the lunch break and I was the only patient at the time, but the procedure was real quick.

He asked me if I wanted the gas, but I've had negative reactions to it in the past so I decided to be brave and not take it. The worst part was just the shots with the numbing medicine. The teeth pulling didn't hurt at all, I just heard a crunching and ripping sound that was unpleasant. But it went well.

Now I've got two spaces in my mouth, but like caryca said, it's not that visible. I've gotten used to it and they don't bother me at all. That night I went to a family get-together, and I've gone out and done something every day since. I haven't really thought about the spaces much at all.

So, now that I completed that step...tomorrow's the big day!!! I'm getting braces! I'm finally doing it, and I am excited. I'll be sure to have pictures up when possible.

invisagirl

#17 Post by invisagirl »

good luck and let us know how it goes! :D

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

loxodonta

#18 Post by loxodonta »

Thanks for the support!

I am now a brace-face!! :tingrin: I never knew that I'd be so excited about it!

Everything did go well. I only ended up getting the top ones this time, but I actually like that better. I can get used to these first and then get used to the bottom ones in several months. I got metal with blue ligs.

I really like them actually. I thought they'd be a lot worse. They really don't look too bad. They hurt a tiny bit on Monday night, but have really hurt today. I haven't been able to eat anything that requires a lot of chewing because my teeth hurt to chew.

The ortho who did my initial consult is not the doctor doing my work. That kind of surprised me, but I like my ortho as well. He explained everything to me and answered my questions.

I was surprised at how much the technician actually does. The ortho just kind of oversees everything. He helped position the brackets, but she did just about everything else.

The archwire does not actually go through the bracket on my visible canine. Instead it is tied (with a wire tie) to the bottom of the bracket. The tech put a lig on top of it though so it would match the others.

I had a really good visit and I really like going because everyone is so friendly. I'm glad that the braces are not too terribly bad at this point.

The treament time is estimated at 20-22 months. The total cost is $5095.00 and that includes broken brackets, emergency visits, etc. It will be so worth it in 2 years from now.

I have a few pictures that I will post later. I am not good with the camera though, so they're not too good.

My next appointment is September 13 for a ligature change, retie, and check-up.

I finally did it! :-)o

Nikkiekoala

#19 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Way to go! Glad it all went well. Now you are on the official journey to a super smile!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

loxodonta

#20 Post by loxodonta »

Ok, here are a few pictures. I'm sorry that they are fuzzy but I'm just not good with that camera! But, here they are anyway.

Morning Before Braces On - With Extraction Gaps

Braces Day 1 - Top Only with Light Blue Ligs

loxodonta

#21 Post by loxodonta »

Now that I am back at college, I cannot frequent the message board as much. I have a very difficult class schedule this semester.

Anyway, I just thought I'd do a quick update. The braces are great! I hardly notice them, and they haven't cause any problems. At first all my friends kept looking at them and asking questions, but now they're used to them as well.

Also, all of the sores I had in my mouth are now thankfully gone. That was awful!

The things I miss the most: Hershey's Kisses with Caramel, cashews & peanuts, and the tortilla chips from the Mexican restaurant

LisaH

#22 Post by LisaH »

Good luck to you in college loxodonta.. I just dropped my son off at college yesterday.
I look forward to seeing your progress when you have time.

loxodonta

#23 Post by loxodonta »

Today is my first check-up/adjustment. That canine continues to make progress and move down. However, it is kind of hitting the tooth next to it, which makes that tooth sore. I'll get them to check on that today to make sure that it isn't damaging anything.

I can't decide on my lig colors. I will probably get light blue again, but I have been thinking about maroon (school color). I'm just worried that it may be too bold. I really like the light blue. How about navy? I wonder what that would look like.

Anyway, I will try to post again sometime soon. I don't have a camera here, thats at home, so no pics until I go home again.

loxodonta

#24 Post by loxodonta »

The adjustment went well. They said that my teeth are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. They also went ahead and put the archwire through the bracket on the canine tooth (instead of tied to the bottom). That hurt as they were doing it, and made my teeth sore the rest of the evening. However, the next day everything was back to normal.

I couldn't decide on a different color, so I went with light blue again. I like it and think it's pretty. Plus, I have a lot of blue shirts, so it kind of matches.

No word yet on when I'll get my bottom braces. Also, they said to just be patient with the other canine that doesn't seem to be moving. They told me that they could tell it had moved.

My next adjustment is in 6 weeks on October 25.

M1k3y

#25 Post by M1k3y »

How are teeth coming along now?
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08