Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tobilei

Re: Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

#151 Post by Tobilei »

Aww no :( That's a real bugger OF! Hope they can get something sorted for you. Stinks that things have to come to a grinding halt though until you can get there!

oldfart

#152 Post by oldfart »

In one way its good as I have a work trip to see my new boss and a bunch of co workers. At least i wont be flinging spit at them off the elastics when I talk.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

kids041

#153 Post by kids041 »

oldfart wrote:In one way its good as I have a work trip to see my new boss and a bunch of co workers. At least i wont be flinging spit at them off the elastics when I talk.

of
HAHA! I love the spit flinging comment. Funny, but I am sure it is true. New boss might not like that too much :shock:

oldfart

#154 Post by oldfart »

Been a nice break. Basically stopped wearing elastics pending my apt on monday. Was having my teeth with crowns pulled up so much that the dead tooth under the crown was showing. Was traveling and dealing with new co workers, and a new boss, so was really nice not having to deal with elastics.

Now am thinking the open bite may just have to stay unless I want to redo the crowns. As they can't change the height of those lower teeth. Perhaps they can bring the tops down, but how to bring them down without attaching elastics on the bottom and bringing them up? TAD on the bottom? Not sure.

I did both like the Class IIs though, but enjoyed the break. Only wore them three weeks and saw good movement.

Apt on monday. We shall see.

oldfart

#155 Post by oldfart »

Was nice not having elastics for the work trip. No elastics on the molars but back to the class IIs. The ortho things the gum recession may be hygiene related (probably brushing too hard). So off to more rinsing less scrubbing, and softer bristle brushes. Went with blue this time on the top.

It's a little dark but enclosed is my natural smile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfart

#156 Post by oldfart »

Also photo is reversed. So the right is left, etc.

Yes, one side of the bite is further closed than the other. I have only done elastics on one side so far. The other side won't be dropped until the molar gets moved more forward. Hopefully that is starting in a month or so.

of

oldfart

#157 Post by oldfart »

It's official that the novelty of braces has worn off when you can't remember how many appointsments you have.

They had to pull off two molar bands, grind down the excess glue and recement them. The teeth were at odd angles before and they couldnt get them on straight. So that was fun. The grinding of the excess glue reminds me way too much of a dentist drill. That was about the only real change. I asked about when i can get the TAD to start moving the back molar forward, and they still need to get these two molars in line, before they can go to the stainless steel wire. Hopefully before the end of the year.

Some good movement with the class IIs, but no change there. Just keep wearing them. I know I can feel an improvement, just don't think it shows on a photo. Will try to update that in a bit.

Went Blue/Blue for ties.

Next apt: Halloween.

oldfart

#158 Post by oldfart »

Okay, second pic is a bit blurry, but you can see just a tad of movement. Top pic is now, bottom is End of July.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfart

#159 Post by oldfart »

Other side. Okay. I snuck one bite of food before taking the pic. And yep, it went right in between my two front brackets. Next time, will check before taking the pic.

rhibee83

#160 Post by rhibee83 »

Hi OF

Your teeth are looking great and you look like you are up to the same process as me! Closing gaps! The elastics will create new gaps between your top teeth, my ortho told me not to freak out about it lol, i have a few black triangles going on but he said its all part of the treatment and will be fixed, as we know, things gotta get worse before they get better ey!

I am loving the colours! I wish I had got baby pink back on again at my latest adjustment- i forgot to ask them as they didn't change my wires!

Your teeth look very white and healthy, looking great :)

oldfart

#161 Post by oldfart »

I just have a good dentist in regards to cosmetics two of those front four are almost a third nothing but fillings. I can tell there is movement and it feels like there is more than the photos show. But seeing about 1/2 to 1/3 of a mm movement in six weeks is a bit disheartening.

Basically we are bringing the whole front back a smidge, locking in place with a tad then moving a molar up to close the gap from an extraction.

I'm not sure exact, but the total distance of the extraction gap was about 10 mm when started. I would guess after six months in braces just after basic alignment and the short term of elastics its about 9 now. I need to go figure out a good way to measure it.

of

oldfart

#162 Post by oldfart »

Okay finally an update.

Colors: Blue/Purple. Same as two months ago. Not sure why.

Top: New Wire. I think its stainless steel, not sure., nothing new

Bottom: Nothing New

Elastics: Stick with class IIs for another month. There is movement, its just hard to see in the last few photos. I tend to bite however my teeth meet the best on these photos. One side seems at least to me to be almost perfect, the other about 1/2 mm off.

But got permission to get theTAD. The top photo shows the gap due to an extraction last year and how much we still have to move the molar forward. I will be getting a TAD in between the top two premolars. A bar will them be attached to the wire holding the top teeth secure. Elastics will then also be from that bar on both the buccal and lingual side of the molar. Should be fun when it occurs.

Here is the note regarding the placement :

"Please place a buccal tad between the roots of 12 and 13. We plan to use indirect anchorage to 13 for protraction of 15. If possible, please use a screwhead that allows a retangular wire to go through the slot"

Note: Yes I see the calcium buildup on the edge of the premolar. Going to go work on that now. One nice things about photos, much easier to notice areas that need cleaning.

Stay tuned for tad details

oldfart

#163 Post by oldfart »

Woohoo got a cleaning. That is all. Sorry for the excess saliva.

of

SunshineRay

#164 Post by SunshineRay »

When do you get the TAD? Will it only be on one side?

oldfart

#165 Post by oldfart »

I was supposed to get the tad this last month. But had to postpone it due to finances. It's only $250 but we just took a big financial hit due to car repairs, so the TAD isn't occuring until mid Feb. (tax return time). There is still plenty of areas that can be cleaned up so its not a big concern. Just will postpone the ending time a few months I suppose.

It will be only on one side as I have a molar I need to pull forward.

Fun apt, a few changes. Blue Powerchain on top, silver ties on the bottom, and one side is switched from a Class II elastic to a triangle to close the bite.

Will post some pics in a few.