Joplin's Story (photos on page 12)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joplin

#181 Post by joplin »

Hi! I'm on vacation, just logged in for a quick check up. Nice to see you were thinking of me, Loop & Pamela :)
I haven't given much thought to my teeth lately, but yes, there are VERY small, tiny little changes. Nothing dramatic. Those laterals are still crooked, but if you know the signs to look for, you can see they have changed a little. I was expecting faster changes than this but I'm not concerned, not yet at least :) So much other stuff on my mind on a holiday :)
Oh BTW, congratulations on getting braces free again, Pamela!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

joplin

#182 Post by joplin »

Here's Joplin, back from her vacation. I think during those 4 weeks my teeth took a vacation too: nothing seems to have happened since my first adjustment in late June. Those laterals are still not behaving as I'd like them to. Still sticking out just like in my avatar :( Well, one morning I was happy about that after having a nightmare in which they came right through my face like on a rhino!
I'm afraid this w-arch I'm still wearing is actually stopping some movement... But that's just guessing, I'll know more after my second adjustment on Wednesday. Boy I WISH they'll take out this w-arch sooner than later. Getting sick of it :evil:

I spent part of my vacation in Portugal. Spotted one set of braces on a young lady working in a tourist info in Porto, but what really made my day on our way home was a German flight attendant of Lufthansa, around my age, with full set of braces, elastics and all, and not minding them at all! She was cool! Hello there, if you just happened to be one of us on this board :wink:

My own braces caught some attention too. I was on this antiques market near Lisbon, having a look at an elderly lady's tablecloths, when this lady suddenly spotted my teeth. She pointed at my teeth and at hers in turns very excited and talked and talked. Too bad I don't speak a word of Portugese, I have no idea what got her going so! :roll: Maybe she was trying to say she wore them in her time or something. Hey, don't come telling me people don't pay attention to ceramic braces, I'm not bying it :P It was funny though. A little confusing, but funny.

So, next adjustment on Wednesday, let's see what they'll tell me.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

joplin

#183 Post by joplin »

Update, 2. adjustment:

They did not tell exactly what I wanted to hear. That w-arch will be there for several more months until I'm ready for a thick enough arch wire that will hold things steady on its own. That wire is at least two wires away from where I'm standing now :(

Anyway, I got a new wire today. It's that usual silver kind, no cute white teflon for me anymore. That's ok, I think this looks just fine too. Makes me feel like I now made it to the "real" arch wired league. More teeth credibility ;)

Tomorrow I'm getting spacers for lower molar bands they will put on next week, 4 of them. I have an appointment for a filling tomorrow morning, so I asked if I could come for the spacers right after that. The combinaton of the sensitivity the spacers are going to give me AND a dentist's drill just didn't sound too appealing.

So, my current shopping list is:
- spacers tomorrow
- first set of molar bands next week
- second set of molar bands in two weeks
- new ligs on uppers and braces on lowers on August 30th

Then I'll be fully braced and half bankrupt.

HollyDontSpend

Keeping up

#184 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Joplin,
I just wanted to let you know that I am wishing you well on your treatment. I have been keeping up on your story (even though I only posted once I think). I hope that you are doing better after your extractions! :-#)
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

joplin

#185 Post by joplin »

Thanks for thinking of me :) It's been quiet on my front lately. I've had all four of my lower molars banded now and will get lower brackets and the works in the end of August. The beginning of my treatment was so loaded with surgery and nasty appliances that now I'm happy to be just a regular braces wearer with nothing major to report :)

HollyDontSpend

Good thing!

#186 Post by HollyDontSpend »

That's great! Nice to just move along from that whole surgery stuff and work with some slower paced braces. Good luck Joplin! :pinkbraces:
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

decisionmade

#187 Post by decisionmade »

Joplin..I can relate..I can't wait for surgery and expander and extraction days to be far behind me and get on with the braces!!..I may even hold on to my expander rather than place it on those train tracks..we'll see..I've enjoyed tracking your story.all very helpful :D
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

joplin

Update, adjustment 3 on August 30th:

#188 Post by joplin »

Update, adjustment 3:

Today I got my lower braces, now - ta-dah! - I'm fully braced. Boy, I never considered my lowers to be that crooked really, but now that they've got the brackets and the wire on it looks like a different story :shock: They are crowded, got to admit that now.

I also got a piece of powerchain on my uppers. It goes over my front teeth from a bicuspid to bicuspid and it is supposed to start bringing those stubborn laterals closer to where they should be. Finally! I hope to see the powerchain work as magically as I've heard people tell here.
(Edited two days later: Took a better look in the mirror and realized the powerchain only goes from a lateral to lateral, over 4 teeth that is.)

This time the ortho brought up the old issue of extracting my lower second biscuspids (teeth #5). In the beginning of the treatment we agreed to wait and see if she could find a way to save them, but the tone of her voice somehow told me I should get ready to let them go. Bummer. But extracting bicuspids is no biggie, right? Right?
She said we'll have new molds taken in a couple of months as my treatment proceeds, and she'll study the options and then let me know what needs to be done.

Next stop September 19th for new ligatures.
Last edited by joplin on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

hannah164

#189 Post by hannah164 »

Joplin,
Congratulations on getting lower braces! Hope you don't have too much pain. Sounds like you should be seeing some movement soon! YAY! Thats too bad about your bicuspid but you'll get through it if you've already gotten this far. I had two permanent teeth, I don't know which ones, extracted because I was missing them on the top and according to my ortho everything needs to be symetrical. :?: Well, whatever the orthos think is best I guess. :wink:
Good luck on your treatment!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Dodger(UK)

Re: Update, adjustment 3

#190 Post by Dodger(UK) »

joplin wrote:But extracting bicuspids is no biggie, right? Right?
..a doddle compared to extracting impacted canines :wink: Congrats on getting fully braced by the way.

joplin

#191 Post by joplin »

Thanks, everyone! Pain was there for the first 24 hours, but I only took one ibuprofen for the night, just in case. So it wasn't all that bad, really. Now those lowers are just sensitive to touch and brush, but the main problem is how these ceramic brackets scratch the inside of my lip. OUCH! :soremouth: They are really sharp! Eating was actually painful with them rubbing against my lip. Wax is my best friend today.

Nice to see you still stopping by, Dodger :-1

Manda

#192 Post by Manda »

Joplin, I just wanted to congradulate you on getting your bottom teeth braced. I can't wait to see how your progress is going, I bet there are noticable changes already! Best of luck :lol:
Braced for 7months, 4 days
Wireless since December 21, 2005 and loving it!

joplin

#193 Post by joplin »

Thank you, Manda! Noticeable, hardly, but I'm counting on this powerchain to do something about these rotated laterals. I'll try to take & post some new pictures soon.
I'm glad your uppers are coming together so nicely, Manda!

Clo

#194 Post by Clo »

Hi Joplin,

long time no see as I wasn't very much around here lately.
Congrats on being fully braced by now !
BTW, I noticed your thread was viewed more than 14000 times.
You are getting quite popular, having such a big audience !

Cya !

joplin

#195 Post by joplin »

BTW, I noticed your thread was viewed more than 14000 times.
You are getting quite popular, having such a big audience !
:oops: