BraceFace2o1o's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

#46 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I started noticing the pain in this tooth not long after the wisdom teeth removal, so it's a possibility it could be related. Now you mention it, I remember my Dentist did mention clenching. I used to clench alot during the day when stressed, but I am trying my hardest to stop myself when I notice myself doing it... the thing is during the night it isn't so easy to stop myself. He also asked if I was definitely going ahead with braces and I said yes, he then said to give it a while with the braces and when they change my bite I might notice the tooth feels better because there wont be as much pressure on it. He couldn't give me a definite reason as to why it's hurting, just the possibilty of each of the above.

Mine comes and goes too. It actually went away for a good 4-6 weeks and started up again a couple of weeks ago... I started using sensitive toothpaste (just before it disappered) hoping it was just sensitivity. When it went away for a few weeks I was convinced it was just sensitivity, but it can't have been because it's back and none of my other teeth (which definitely are sensitive) have the same sensation, it's not a sensitive feeling, it just feels like a horrid toothache (which I managed to forget about when it went away).

Lol, I am glad it isn't just me then! I am the same, I keep thinking about my teeth and I swear they then start playing up and it's my own fault for focusing on them too much!

I'll just have to put up with it and I guess I should be glad I didn't have to get a filling.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

BraceFace2o1o

#47 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I just wanted to say something...

Plaque disclosing tablets = a real kick in the teeth! ha ha ha :shock:

Jay04

#48 Post by Jay04 »

You use the disclosing tablets too? :lol: I love them. I didn't realise how badly I was brushing my teeth until I bought them. Now I go a bit insane with the toothbrush. I'm actually surprised I have any enamel left on my teeth!

I keep embarassing myself by walking around with a bright pink tongue though. Everyone always asks what I've been eating as my tongue is permanently stained haha. :roll:
Braces Removed - 14th July, 11
My Braces Story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35442

BraceFace2o1o

#49 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

:lol: I bought some disclosing tablets for the first time the other week, prior to that I'd never heard of them :oops: . I tried them out for the first time the other night... I chewed one after I had brushed and flossed, and I was a little shocked... well rather shocked actually :lol: . Am I really missing all those areas!? 95% of the colour that showed was red (the pack says new plaque) and about 5% was blue (old plaque) not sure how realiable that actually is lol. I then brushed again to get rid of the stains and will try my hardest to pay EVEN more attention to cleaning my teeth, if I get any more paranoid I wont have any enamel left!

Lol @ the bright pink tongue. My mum noticed mine as soon as I came out of the bathroom... "what on earth have you got in your mouth Chrystal?" "erm it's from plaque disclosing tablets mum" "huh? :?" :lol:

Even more reason for me to get a 'professional clean' before the braces are fitted me thinks!

BraceFace2o1o

I have a date!!!

#50 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

So the 2nd part of consultation number 2 was today.

Everything went absolutely fine, better than expected actually. The Orthodontist seems really kind and laughs a lot which is nice, too serious people aren't my sorta thing!

At the start of the appointment he mentioned IPR and while he was talking about it he said "do you know what this is?" I said "yes" (but deep I was thinking "oh, I thought I was going to get away with the IPR!" lol) he then asked me how I knew about it, I replied "oh just researching on the internet" … he found it a little amusing that I seem to know this kind of stuff :lol:… he then went on and said "so next time you come in we will give you the brackets to fit yourself! :lol:" it was funny, and I felt my face getting hot :oops: ha ha ha! He likes that I've done my research and said it helps him if a patient does research and actually understands braces talk. I'm glad he isn't put off by the knowledge Ive gained through my research… he actually seems really happy with it. He also doesn't seem to mind when I ask questions (even silly ones)... he seems very eager to help.

Anyway, he had the molds of my teeth made up and ready for me to see… lemme just say, EWW? Do my teeth REALLY look like that!? OMG lol. He said even though he was repeating himself he wanted to go over everything again. He said first we will fit the upper brace and expander… Erm, hand on, expander? Huh? what expander? :shock:. This wasn't mentioned last time?! Hmm I thought, but I didn't ask about it, I just hoped he had gotten confused and said the wrong thing :lol:… although I may well have to have an expander if he didn't say the wrong thing… great!

He did my x-rays at this appointment and said if it would make it easier he could post my Dentist a disc with my X-rays on so that he could see my impacted wisdom tooth (my Dentist has asked me to ask my Ortho for a letter stating wisdom tooth removal is needed for brace, before he’ll refer me to a surgeon to remove it)… the Ortho was totally happy to do this and said I will most likely get it removed on the NHS because of how it is growing… which is good, because he said it could cost me up to £300 to remove privately!

I asked about retainers and he basically said he works mostly with the clear retainers (Essix) and sometimes Hawley… but Hawleys more for people with a very deep bite, but he said my bite isn't THAT deep. I am sure he said upper Essix retainer, lower bonded retainer along with a lower Essix retainer to wear at night… I think that's what he said anyway… either way I want a removable retainer for BOTH arches.

I also got brave and asked about the payment plan. I asked him if it would be possible to stretch my repayments over 24 months rather than the standard 18 (but obviously if I finish treatment early I will still have to pay the remaining balance up front)… he gave a look of "hmmm, Im not sure…" then said "actually yes! I will make an exception just for you, we will set your payment plan over 24 months instead of 18… just mention this at reception" I was well happy! Than you Mr Orthodontist! :D

I also mentioned my tooth that I keep getting pain in, for no reason really… just to mention it and unexpectedly he said "let me take a look just to make sure everything is ok"… he really is very kind and very helpful. I was worried about a stain/mark on that tooth and he said it was just a stain and the tooth looks totally fine. I guess it's a bonus he first trained to be a Dentist, then after he qualified he then started to train to become an Orthodontist.

I was very pleased with everything and decided to book my fitting day just before I left to go home. So my spacers will be fitted on Wednesday the 10th of November… and my upper braces will be fitted on Thursday the 18th of November (lower braces a little while into treatment, once my uppers have moved enough).

My journey has finally begun! 10 years later than expected though!
By the time my upper braces are fitted, it will have been about 4 months since booking my very first consult… there has been quite a bit of waiting which I have found difficult at times and tried my hardest not to be impatient.

Jay04

#51 Post by Jay04 »

It's great that you finally have a brace date Chrystal. I bet you are excited to finally get things moving. You'll only be a month behind me as i'm getting my top ones on in 2 days :D

I was laughing when you were talking about seeing the molds of your teeth. I totally freaked when I saw the molds of mine too. I couldn't believe they were mine... I'm hoping they won't be for much longer though! :P

I didn't know what the disclosing tablets were called until just before I got my braces either. I remember my friend using them all the time when we were kids, but my dentist never gave me any. I have so many gaps now due to my removable brace pushing everything around, and the red highlights between all my teeth like a giant neon sign shouting "you missed a bit....AGAIN!" :roll: I am seriously paranoid about brushing now thanks to those darn tablets. I'm glad I have a waterpik as its great for getting rid of some of the red.

BraceFace2o1o

#52 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Hi,

Yeah it's finally here! I am still a little 'shocked' it's all actually going to happen! I've wanted a brace since a teen, but never actually imagined it all going ahead... I just kept saying to myself "one day".

Oh yes your top ones are being fitted today! Good luck and I look forward to seeing your updates with both arches braced up.

Yes it was a shock and I really just wanted to joke and say "they aren't really mine are they?" :lol:... I had to remind myself 'he's an Orthodontist, he's probably seen worse in his time' a bit like when I go to the doctors for something embarrassing and think they are going to laugh lol.

I haven't used another disclosing tablet yet, they kinda scared me! I've been trying to brush better since then... I now use soft/sensitive manual toothbrush along with my electric toothbrush, floss and mouthwash. Maybe I will use one again soon to see if I am doing any better, probably not! damn things :D

I am most likely going to get a waterpik too once I am in braces... I think it will definitely come in handy.

Jay04

#53 Post by Jay04 »

You should definately get a waterpik. It's a lifesaver. I always seem to eat the types of foods that cling to my braces like their life depends on it. :lol:

fleur26

#54 Post by fleur26 »

yay glad to see you have a date for your fitting chrystal. bet you are counting down the days......... not long now! :)

BraceFace2o1o

#55 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Jay04 - I am not sure if I have asked you this before, but what Waterpik do you have? I see there is an electrical one or a battery one. Battery would be better for me as I have no bathroom electrical point in my bathroom and an extension lead would only get tripped over :lol:

fleur26 - Yes it's finally all going ahead! I can't wait and I'm already fed up with all the waiting! it must be the worst part :D
---
I recevied a package in the post on Wednesday and once I opened it discovered that the Ortho sent me a CD with my X-ray on it! ooo er! lol... I didn't know he was going to do that. But the thing is my laptop has a virus on it so I cannot use it until I sort that out... I am currently using my Netbook but it doesn't have a disc drive. Once I can get access to a Laptop or PC I will upload the picture/s of my x-ray... be warned, you might be frightened! :lol:

Oh and I've been told by a friend that the company I work for might not be around in the new year, hmm this is all I need! to be out of a job! :shock:

Jay04

#56 Post by Jay04 »

Hey Chrystal,

I have an electrical one. You don't have to worry about tripping over any wires as you just charge it up maybe once every 3 - 4 weeks. The battery lasts for ages. They sell them in Boots if you want to be nosy and check one out. If you do get one, be careful when you first use it. I nearly took an eye out it was so powerful haha. I was soaked! If somebody had been filming it would definately have ended up on You've been Framed!

I don't think it has to be plugged into a bathroom electrical outlet.....let me think....I charge it in my bedroom so it must be a normal adapter lol. I hate it when I visit my parents as they don't have one of those shaver outlets, so I can never charge my electric toothbrush :lol: At least my waterpik can go everywhere with me.

fleur26

#57 Post by fleur26 »

yes the waiting was/is the same with me chrystal i am very impatient... my ortho says im really eager,,, hehe--- :)

sorry to hear about your job news... hope it turns out okay for you. let us know.

BraceFace2o1o

#58 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Jay04 - Yes that is the one I was thinking of buying. A bit like my electric toothbrush, I charge it up at the mains overnight about once a week. There are some Waterpiks that literally have to be plugged in to work, and don't run on a rechargable battery... I think it's the Waterpik WP100, but not sure though.

fleur26 - I can't stand the waiting, but it's nearly over for me now! :D Thank you. No more news about my job yet, fingers crossed.

BraceFace2o1o

#59 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

So I had my first clean that wasn't with my Dentist earlier this evening. I am with an NHS Dentist, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it (I still pay, just NHS prices), but I feel he doesn't do a good enough clean and when I check in the mirror afterwards I notice he misses some stains and plaque? I mean, what is that about? So I decided to have a clean elsewhere. I wanted to have a clean with a Dental Practice near my home, but they said I would have to have a consult with their Dentist first, I said no thanks and I left it… I don't want to be paying out lots of £££'s just to get a clean for Gods sake!
Anyway, I asked my Orthos receptionist and they said yes and that's how the story goes so far.

The clean was a lot more throrough than what my Dentist does. I mean, at this appointment they did all my teeth and not just the backs of my 4 lower teeth! I had some 'stains' on the sides of each of my lower 4 front teeth and my Dentist would only remove parts of the stains and leave the rest. This time, they are GONE! :D. Also I had some plaque build up on the inside (at the gum line) of my lower premolars, I know my Dentist could blatantly see this but he never removed it during my 'cleanings'? :? strange. So all the built up old plaque is now gone… the only thing I am not so chuffed about is now between my two lower front teeth and my right lateral incisor are those horrid black triangles! Eeeek! :shock: I guess the build up of plaque there before kept those gaps/black triangles hidden, it doesn't help because my gums have receded on those teeth so the hole/gap has been created where the gum has disappeared. Luckily, when I smile REALLY big only the tops/tips of my lower teeth show and not near the gum line.

I bought a McDonalds (yeah, bad!) on the way home because I couldn't be bothered to cook. I got home and didn't want to eat it because it would dirty my teeth again lol.

But yeah, those 3 black triangles are bothering me, argh! Hmm.

Next Wednesday is spacers day! It's getting closer…

fleur26

#60 Post by fleur26 »

aww im sure you will get the little things sorted at the end, there is always something im finding everyday i hate about my teeth, i spend far too long looking at them! u havent got long now till you are with braces! yay!!