Rage has avoided jaw surgery…(Pix update 07/11/08)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

#61 Post by iBorg »

Found your story from another link in the froum. You seem to have handled a lot of issues well. While I have simiiar bite problems with angled molars, my top ones aren't that far out. It will be interesting to see what my ortho has in mind for the bottoms. I'll follow your story with interest. Good luck and trade in that single for a tandem! Truly riding with the one you love is the only way to fly!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Clo

#62 Post by Clo »

Hi rage31,

I was about to pm you to know how you were doing, as I knew you probably
got your headgear as you told earlier. So it is great you posted.
You know I had to wear headgear too, so I know perfectly how you feel.
First, your molars where the inner bow is connected to have to adjust to this
new pressure. When I first had mine, I felt too a lot of pain in them, when I
placed the bow. But when it was time to eat, I almost couldn't take it out anymore.
How much I tried, the pain was so bad I could not remove it. Suddenly it came
loose and I could remove it after all. Boy, that did hurt. But later on, putting
it in or taking it out was gradually getting less painful. After some weeks, even
when the pulling force was set to a much higher level, it didn't hurt anymore.
So, give it some time, your molars will get used to it. Really.

Considering you just started, I think you are doing great. Even going public
and wearing it at work too. After only some days. Wow, this is really well
done ! I wish you the very best in getting used to this thing. Don't hesitate
to ask questions. I'll be more than happy to reply.

PS. One technical thing. Try to see at what position the bow is when compared
to your brackets / teeth. For example the bow runs just in the middle of your
upper teeth, or a bit higher or lower. Remember this position. Because there
is a possibility that your molars tip backwards instead of moving backwards.
If that happens, you will see the bow getting lower in the front. Mine was in the
beginning halfway my uppers and after some months was level with the ends
of these uppers. So the bow moved downwards about 4 mm in my case. And
indeed, my molars did tip. I saw it on a control X-ray I had. Do you understand
what I want to tell here ? Molar tipping is a disadvantage of headgear. My ortho
didn't say this in the beginning. I experienced it and then he admitted it too. But
this depends a bit. Some have it, for others the hg works very well.

iBorg

#63 Post by iBorg »

I'm curious to watch your story as my overbite is greatly increasing as my top teeth are brought to a more straight position instead of their previous reclining position. When I started this process about a month ago, I could bite off food and chew my fingernails. I can't do either one now. My ortho couldn't diagnose my overbite because of my reclining teeth. I'll admit if the final result is too great to close with elastics, I would much rather go your route than the surgery. I can't pay for it (two kids 8 and 5) and I'm not really game for the prolonged recovery. Looking at your teeth, they look great!

As for a tandem, a few words of wisdom. Buy the best you can afford. A cheap tandem is a curse from God.... a good one can be a blessing. Judy is a much weaker rider than I. The tandem is the only way we can ride together without me needing to slow down for her.

If your husband is nearly as fit as you, you two should be able to fly!

Good luck in your journey. Watching you, I'm learning more about this process that I've got myself into.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

OBG

hg

#64 Post by OBG »

I know it feels like you are wearing a TV antenna but in reality it does not look that bad. I remember the difficult time I had at first trying to sleep with the stupid thing on but as you have learned that we can adjust to just about anything.

You really are to be commended for despite the initial shock of the hg hell you have demonstrated a positive attitude and are a role model for all who choose to walk down the orthodontic path.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Lotte

#65 Post by Lotte »

Hi Rage,

I've been reading your story with a lot of interest. I think it's very courageous of you to wear your headgear to your work!

I myself am a 22-year old woman from the Netherlands. As I child I needed braces with a high-pull headgear but I was stubborn and I refused :oops: . Since about two years I really regret this, but since I'm not growing anymore it's impossible to do a treatment like this.

I've visited two orthodontists. I'm a Class II/1 case, with an overjet of 6 mm and a small form of open bite. Both ortho's suggested braces and surgery to move the lower jaw forward :shock: .

Just like you, I want to avoid surgery. I'm now searching for an ortho who wants to treat me without. I'd like to ask you: why do you have a headgear? What can it do for you when you're jaws are not growing anymore? Maybe you've mentioned it before, but I didn't read all the 13 pages with replies to your story.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Greetz,
Lotte

Joanna20

#66 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey I think your teeth look great. I hope your new gadget isn't causing you a lot of discomfort, I'm sure it works great!

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Jillianleab

#67 Post by Jillianleab »

Rage, I think it's great you are getting used to the headgear, so to speak! I can understand not wanting to go out in public with it on, so hopefully you will be able to fit in all 14 hours at home.

Your teeth are looking great, by the way! :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

M1k3y

#68 Post by M1k3y »

Looks like your top teeth are now sitting just over your bottom teeth instead of right on top. That headgear is working well. Way to hang in there.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Clo

#69 Post by Clo »

Yep, I can feel this is working !
Well done ! Keep going, we are watching ...

iBorg

#70 Post by iBorg »

Rage:
Keep going.... you're my inspiration! Had my first adjustment today and my ortho said that after she gets the lowers upright we'll see whether I actually have an overbite or not. She also said we may have to look into something because of my tendency to move my jaw forward to alter my bite. Its hard to determine if I actually have an overjet until my teeth find a natural position.

If surgery is mentioned, I'll ask more questions. To me headgear would be a good choice over surgery.

Rock ON!

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

iBorg

#71 Post by iBorg »

Rage:
After getting my bottoms on and a long talk with my ortho about our goals and my TMJ and my jaw looking for a home, I've gotten a much more personal interest. My top bands don't have any extra tubes but my lowers do...

Does your headgear attach to the top or lower arch? While my ortho hasn't said anything about headgear, she did ask if I'd be willing to use additional appliances if the combination of elastics and bite plate didn't achieve the desired results. I know she has had several patients have surgery and I'm just not wanting to go there.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

swiss1

#72 Post by swiss1 »

Great pics Rage - your teeth are looking fantastic! I'm sure the hg will do its thing, and that it won't be too long before you don't need it anymore.

Jillianleab

#73 Post by Jillianleab »

Wow Rage, I'm sure having to keep the hg on was a bit of a dissapointment to you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it will really get things into motion between now and your next appointment. Other than that it sounds like you had a pretty good adjustment, and at least you got to keep the cool lig pattern!

Good luck, and have fun playing hockey!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

antsika

#74 Post by antsika »

Hi Rage, I am sure it was terrible to hear that your ortho had expected more results from the headgear :(
But keep up the good work you are doing, I am sure it will do the job!
I hope that you will get better news on the next appointment!

Upper and lower Evolution linguals
B-day: 30. 06. 2006
Treatment time app. 2 years

iBorg

#75 Post by iBorg »

Hey Rage:
Looks like progress to me!
Hope the emergency appointment worked out well. I feel for you with the headache issue. I just hope its less than your TMJ pain prior to starting treatment.

If you don't get an early Christmas present, let's hope your ortho gives you a great Valentine gift.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009